Carnoustie Senior Open

AussieKB

Visit site
Do they need to drop the word 'Open' as they will not let the winner of the PGA and US Senior Open compete ?

Would have been a great story for Bland to complete the hat trick.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Do they need to drop the word 'Open' as they will not let the winner of the PGA and US Senior Open compete ?

Would have been a great story for Bland to complete the hat trick.
That's a matter of exemptions, it's still an "Open", but you may have to qualify/be qualified under the conditions that the Committee establishes.

AussieKB

Visit site
So winning the PGA and US Senior Open does not qualify you ?

seems a bit silly to me, so it is an Open but only if you play by my rules.

AussieKB

Visit site
No....he could be playing anywhere as far I am concerned......always thought they would want the PGA and US Senior Champion to play in the Senior Open, think the R & A is weak here, they allow in the Open people from other Tours but not the Senior Open.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
No....he could be playing anywhere as far I am concerned......always thought they would want the PGA and US Senior Champion to play in the Senior Open, think the R & A is weak here, they allow in the Open people from other Tours but not the Senior Open.
Well the reason he isn’t playing is because of LIV and the fines that he won’t pay because in his words

“LIV didn’t pay my fines and I didn't want them to, because I was never going to go back to DP World Tour, so I didn't see the point,” Bland said.

The event is co run by the DP World Tour

It’s Blands choice

AussieKB

Visit site
Well the reason he isn’t playing is because of LIV and the fines that he won’t pay because in his words

“LIV didn’t pay my fines and I didn't want them to, because I was never going to go back to DP World Tour, so I didn't see the point,” Bland said.

The event is co run by the DP World Tour

It’s Blands choice
I know all that, just lucky that DP don't run the Open......

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, I'm not a liv bot, and it seems bloody ridiculous to me.
Lots of joshing about the asterisk against winners of non Taylor Gooch majors, but what are we doing here?
Winning 2 senior majors (including arguably the most significant) and not getting in the British?
If the R&A had anything about it, it would surely put a (posh) thumb on the scale.

D

Deleted member 29109

Isn’t the SO on at the same time as a LiV event? So Bland wouldn’t be able to play anyway.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well, I'm not a liv bot, and it seems bloody ridiculous to me.
Lots of joshing about the asterisk against winners of non Taylor Gooch majors, but what are we doing here?
Winning 2 senior majors (including arguably the most significant) and not getting in the British?
If the R&A had anything about it, it would surely put a (posh) thumb on the scale.

All tours have set precedent now

And Bland has a Liv event that week as well

AussieKB

Visit site
It's not about LIV, but your supposed 'OPEN' that will not let the winner of the PGA and US Open not play, so if you want to put an asterisk around it that is up to you.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It's not about LIV, but your supposed 'OPEN' that will not let the winner of the PGA and US Open not play, so if you want to put an asterisk around it that is up to you.
Let’s be honest if Bland wasn’t on liv - 1. He would be ok to play and 2. You wouldn’t give a monkeys

Bland has a liv event that week that he is contracted to play in does he not

D

Deleted member 29109

Bland could have entered Open qualifying. It doesn’t get more Open than that!

There is some irony in complaining that someone isn’t being given an exemption into an Open event 🤣