Carly Booth

User20204

Visit site
Yesterday posted up she was delighted to have a partnership with Suadi golf. However she has since taken it down and has received quite a bit of backlash for it. Seems it's all over Twitter.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes I read a lot of that. It does seen to have been a PR disaster.

The most surprising thing is that she is still only 26!!!!

User20204

Visit site
Well I don't think it's her golfing ability that gets her the attention she gets.

As above looks like a proper disaster for the party girl, be interesting to see how her following is after this.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It does seem a bit short-sighted and a bit naive.
Time will tell bit it does have a hint of chasing the money about it.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would imagine a fair few blokes have been beheaded too.

Stuff like this annoys me.

The Saudis like many other Middle Eastern nations are backwards in their thinking. We all know that.

But like it or not. Small steps like this are not designed to hide or mask issues that exist in countries.

Carly booth has not just become an advocate of the Saudi regime ffs.

She’s trying to get a few people golfing.

If we ban our sports stars or sporting events we lose the ability to excerpt soft power and influence on the population and subsequently the powers that be might take note.

If we cut ties altogether then any aforementioned dodgy nation can just crack on behind the scenes.

Doubt the Saudis are half as bad as the Chinese tbh.

Or the yanks..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

The Saudis like many other Middle Eastern nations are backwards in their thinking. We all know that.

But like it or not. Small steps like this are not designed to hide or mask issues that exist in countries.

If we ban our sports stars or sporting events we lose the ability to excerpt soft power and influence on the population and subsequently the powers that be might take note.

If we cut ties altogether then any aforementioned dodgy nation can just crack on behind the scenes.

Or the yanks..

Although I'm staying, generally, with my opinion I can absolutely see where you're coming from and can't really disagree with you.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although I'm staying, generally, with my opinion I can absolutely see where you're coming from and can't really disagree with you.

It’s tricky. But ...😉

I just think that ‘westernising’ for want of a better word. Is not something that can or will happen in isolation.

Small cultural changes need to happen before momentum can start on a small scale.

Then there is potential for things like female golfing (only as an example) to become a cultural norm. When you have cultural norms you can potentially achieve a zeitgeist and when you do that the population can start to exert pressure on political or powerful entities.

The exact opposite in fact of what occurs in true isolationist nations. North Korea anyone..?

Besides. Half the mouth breathing on scocial media is by virtuous egomaniacs anyway. Only concerned with obtaining the high moral ground and to judge others. as opposed to offering any solution except for shrieking ‘ban it!!!!’ Etc.

Gets on my nerves hugely and is a massive problem in our own ‘progressive’ 😂😂 society

the advocating of more freedoms or opportunities for females in a very oppressive culture can never ever ever be a bad thing.

Those advocating that Carly booth is wrong for doing this, regardless of any other factor. Is quite frankly wrong in my opinion.

Small steps to freedoms are a positive thing. Regardless of the circumstance of government.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Or the yanks..
I'm guessing that you don't remember/recall the effect of the sporting/cultural of South Africa then?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I feel the backlash is a bit harsh. Not a sponsor I’d pick but when your employer is looking to hold an event there and the men’s equivalent along with big name players already have, then the link up between Saudi and golf has already happened.

If you’re being told this is to allow progress then see someone offering you money (despite/due to being a women) then you probably feel you’re doing the same thing.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Well I don't think it's her golfing ability that gets her the attention she gets.

As above looks like a proper disaster for the party girl, be interesting to see how her following is after this.

Lets be honest - while she may not be a world beater, most of us here would love to have her golf swing / ability.
I certainly would.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lets be honest - while she may not be a world beater, most of us here would love to have her golf swing / ability.
I certainly would.
I agree to an extent. Clearly a talented golfer but it begs the question why she doesn't knuckle down and try and be the best she can be rather than doing photoshoots, appearing in vlogs and as in this case allegedly chasing the cash. It seems a shame she can't find a way of being as good as she can and then using her golf skills to do other things

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree to an extent. Clearly a talented golfer but it begs the question why she doesn't knuckle down and try and be the best she can be rather than doing photoshoots, appearing in vlogs and as in this case allegedly chasing the cash. It seems a shame she can't find a way of being as good as she can and then using her golf skills to do other things

How do you know she's not doing that? She's got to earn a living and just because she shares the photoshoots and vlogs, that doesn't mean it's all she's doing. The LET schedule is very limited so I'm sure she has a LOT of time to spare to practice and work on her game. Also watching her social feed recently she's obviously been working on her game as she has a new trigger movement in her iron and driver swing, so she's clearly working on something.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised anyone has questions about her use of social media,blogs/vlogs etc.Shes young, attractive and marketable and youngsters the world over use all of the avenues she does to communicate and "share" and connect her life and work.On top of that you only need to look at what the big boys get paid to have a single sponsor logo on a sleeve compared to a years good work on any women's tour to understand why you'd try and monetise your profile.Good luck to her,I doubt she has the talent or dedication to make big inroads on LPGA but I'm perfectly happy for her to make a living,the Saudi thing doesn't look great but need to be careful with our selective outrage....