Carly Booth

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I agree to an extent. Clearly a talented golfer but it begs the question why she doesn't knuckle down and try and be the best she can be rather than doing photoshoots, appearing in vlogs and as in this case allegedly chasing the cash. It seems a shame she can't find a way of being as good as she can and then using her golf skills to do other things

We could all be accused of the same I guess

I could fit in more practice time if I was determined/committed enough in order to be better than I am, instead of watching xyz film or a bit less sunbathing etc etc. Just the same for you and your blogs etc taking time away that could be spent on practice, exercising etc

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
While it is probably been a poor decision, the morality issue is much more difficult in her case than for a lot of wealthy pros playing on the men’s ET event there.

Carly is probably barely making a living from golf. Part of that is because she is in the ladies game, and partly because of results.

Taking some cash in order to keep her on tour for that bit longer is much easier to understand, and justify, than a group of multi-millionaires taking appearance money to play in the ET event.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
as in this case allegedly chasing the cash.

I think this is unfair. Far from chasing the cash, it is probably cobbling together the bare minimum she needs to stay on tour and not have to get a day job.

Only 4 players on the LET made 6 figures from prize money last year. 10th place in the order of merit made €54k. When you factor in travel, hotels, accommodation, coaching etc. There’s not much cash to actually chase and most competitors will not be personally well off from playing golf and will only have a few years at it before they have to get a day job and give up on the dream.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised anyone has questions about her use of social media,blogs/vlogs etc.Shes young, attractive and marketable and youngsters the world over use all of the avenues she does to communicate and "share" and connect her life and work.On top of that you only need to look at what the big boys get paid to have a single sponsor logo on a sleeve compared to a years good work on any women's tour to understand why you'd try and monetise your profile.Good luck to her,I doubt she has the talent or dedication to make big inroads on LPGA but I'm perfectly happy for her to make a living,the Saudi thing doesn't look great but need to be careful with our selective outrage....
Exactly- she is a professional sports person; the whole thing is about making money!

User20204

Visit site
I think this is unfair. Far from chasing the cash, it is probably cobbling together the bare minimum she needs to stay on tour and not have to get a day job.

I think you have it the wrong way round. I think she sticks at the golf to maintain her sponsors not the other way round. She, as been mentioned is very marketable, through her looks, not through her golfing ability. She's an average LET player at best, she would never attract the companies she does is she looked like Laura Davies or Dale Reid. Other attractive women in the game who are high profile are top players, Lexi/Wie etc, Paige Spirniac on the otherhand has made a perfectly reasonable decision to market herself through her looks and her assets and not her golfing ability, Carly is doing the same.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you have it the wrong way round. I think she sticks at the golf to maintain her sponsors not the other way round. She, as been mentioned is very marketable, through her looks, not through her golfing ability. She's an average LET player at best, she would never attract the companies she does is she looked like Laura Davies or Dale Reid. Other attractive women in the game who are high profile are top players, Lexi/Wie etc, Paige Spirniac on the otherhand has made a perfectly reasonable decision to market herself through her looks and her assets and not her golfing ability, Carly is doing the same.

Well maybe she is doing that, but I would be surprised if she is making more than a few thousand from sponsorship activities. I’d reckon if she is covering the cost of her equipment, coaching and some winter practice that will be it.

As you said, her golfing career has not been stellar and she’s done what she can to stay relevant. But I doubt she has the profile to get serious sponsor money that will set her up life after golf.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Well maybe she is doing that, but I would be surprised if she is making more than a few thousand from sponsorship activities. I’d reckon if she is covering the cost of her equipment, coaching and some winter practice that will be it.

As you said, her golfing career has not been stellar and she’s done what she can to stay relevant. But I doubt she has the profile to get serious sponsor money that will set her up life after golf.

Do any of those on the LET though?
The money just isn't there.

Wolf

Visit site
Think she's getting a hard press on this and agree with many people on here saying the good things as to why she is doing it. But then there's people saying she should just work harder to be better at golf and earn more that way.

I'm sorry but there simply is not the money in the European ladies game and I've posted similar things before about compatible earnings for Men's tour.

Good example is last year's final money list standings to give comparison the 10th player on the final standings were Karoline Wolf who made €63k, and the men's was Danny Willett with€2m which is €1.4m euros more than the leading LET money winner made last year.

If you're a business making €63k a year then have to subtract costs of travel which for a years playing with accommodation has got to be somewhere near €15k done on a tight budget, then take out employee costs in this case Caddy, coaches, plus you deduct taxes etc you're probably left with a business that will struggle to stay afloat after year 1.

That's why if someone like Carly gets good endorsements off of her image, looks or whatever else why shouldn't she. Fair play use the tools you have to make money whilst you can and in between times trying to improve her game which she is doing.

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site

I think you'd be surprised by how much she's making from sponsors. She flew out to the Dominican Republic the other week for one round of golf, Taylormade are her equipment supplier so she ain't paying for that. She also has a massive social media following with gives her sponsors access to hundreds of thousands every time she posts on her page

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you'd be surprised by how much she's making from sponsors. She flew out to the Dominican Republic the other week for one round of golf, Taylormade are her equipment supplier so she ain't paying for that. She also has a massive social media following with gives her sponsors access to hundreds of thousands every time she posts on her page

Well I’d be content to be surprised, but I think you over estimate what these deals would be worth to her terms cash that will pay the bills, allow her to make life choices and plan a future.

Flights, equipment, hotels are cheap for a sponsor to dish out if that is their business, but cash is far more valuable and probably less freely available for people operating that kind of business model.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The modern phrase for this is she is an 'influencer'. It is an awful phrase but it is as you describe. Her sponsors will partly pay on the basis of views, click throughs etc. The more followers she has the more she will get as it is targetted advertising. Sponsorship in the modern era is not always a straight up 'use these clubs and we will pay you £x'.

In terms of the practice more argument, maybe she is as good as she is and will be no better. Without the sponsors and social media she can not make a living but the combination of golf plus social media sees her through. She needs both to survive as, pretty though she is, she would not have the same number of followers without the golf link.

I do not criticise the Saudi sponsorship, she has to take what she can. People are on dodgy territory if they start cherry picking who is a good regime and who is not, it is not that black and white.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I’d be content to be surprised, but I think you over estimate what these deals would be worth to her terms cash that will pay the bills, allow her to make life choices and plan a future.

Flights, equipment, hotels are cheap for a sponsor to dish out if that is their business, but cash is far more valuable and probably less freely available for people operating that kind of business model.
I'm well informed enough to know that she makes a pretty decent living from golf and is pretty comfortable with regard to her standard of living. She was also very talented as a youngster and is still quite young. It wouldn't surprise me if she has a few hot years where she wins quite alot because she is as talented a female golfer as there is playing in Europe that is for sure.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The modern phrase for this is she is an 'influencer'. It is an awful phrase but it is as you describe. Her sponsors will partly pay on the basis of views, click throughs etc. The more followers she has the more she will get as it is targetted advertising. Sponsorship in the modern era is not always a straight up 'use these clubs and we will pay you £x'.

In terms of the practice more argument, maybe she is as good as she is and will be no better. Without the sponsors and social media she can not make a living but the combination of golf plus social media sees her through. She needs both to survive as, pretty though she is, she would not have the same number of followers without the golf link.

I do not criticise the Saudi sponsorship, she has to take what she can. People are on dodgy territory if they start cherry picking who is a good regime and who is not, it is not that black and white.

Pretty much spot on. She’d be nothing without both.
If she was unattractive, she’d need to make more money through her golf game, but as she isn’t, she’s wise to milk it for all she can whilst it lasts.

User20204

Visit site
I'm well informed enough to know that she makes a pretty decent living from golf.

Are you sure ? Her career earning are £333,000 which may sound a lot but given she's been a pro for ten years and won 3 times in 2012, doesn't add up to a whole lot.

It wouldn't surprise me if she has a few hot years where she wins quite alot because she is as talented a female golfer as there is playing in Europe that is for sure.

Are you sure ? She hasn't won since 2012. Currently sitting 15th in the oom on the LET but it's very early in the season and she hardly made a cut last year.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you sure ? Her career earning are £333,000 which may sound a lot but given she's been a pro for ten years and won 3 times in 2012, doesn't add up to a whole lot.

Are you sure ? She hasn't won since 2012. Currently sitting 15th in the oom on the LET but it's very early in the season and she hardly made a cut last year.
Your looking at specifically winnings so not including the fact that she has deals with clothing, club and car manufacturers. I'm sure she probably has more endorsements. Shes talented enough that she will be around for a long time, as a junior she was top notch. I'd definitely say she was a better golfer than the current ladies British open holder for sure

D

Deleted member 15344

Your looking at specifically winnings so not including the fact that she has deals with clothing, club and car manufacturers. I'm sure she probably has more endorsements. Shes talented enough that she will be around for a long time, as a junior she was top notch. I'd definitely say she was a better golfer than the current ladies British open holder for sure

Surely facts would be able to back that up ?

Interesting to see how she is better than the golfer who has won the last two order of merits on the LET , 17th in the World and as you current a major winner

Booth is 351 in the world , best result in a Major is T71 and missed the cut on every other visit to a major , last year won a grand total of €12k and was down in the 80’s in the Order of Merit

Results don’t suggest she is a better golfer ?

Booth is sort of relevant in Ladies Golf because of her looks , she gets endorsements because of her looks - if she had to rely on her golfing talent alone she would have to find another career

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd definitely say she was a better golfer than the current ladies British open holder for sure

I know we’re all entitled to an opinion but that’s got to be one of the worst takes for quite some time.

On the sponsorship front, I’ve always assumed that quite a few would be minimal cash but free stuff. So free leased car for example to look like your living it up, but without the finance in the bank.