Carly Booth

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you have it the wrong way round. I think she sticks at the golf to maintain her sponsors not the other way round. She, as been mentioned is very marketable, through her looks, not through her golfing ability. She's an average LET player at best, she would never attract the companies she does is she looked like Laura Davies or Dale Reid. Other attractive women in the game who are high profile are top players, Lexi/Wie etc, Paige Spirniac on the otherhand has made a perfectly reasonable decision to market herself through her looks and her assets and not her golfing ability, Carly is doing the same.
2 wins on the LET, albeit quite a while ago, would put her 'significantly above average' imo!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So assuming she is a decent golfer (and two LET wins support that) and she is "forced" to use her body/looks to improve her income, where does the blame lie. Is it time to call it a day on the LET as a viable tour and should there simply be some feeder system to those that want it to the lower US tours and let players earn their rights to the LPGA tour where there is an earning to be made?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm delighted for her, I think she's a wasted talent who has realised early in life that there are easier ways to make money than through her golf.

It shows good dedication to keep at it.

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
I'm delighted for her, I think she's a wasted talent who has realised early in life that there are easier ways to make money than through her golf.

It shows good dedicated to keep at it.

Have to agree with that assessment, though I do find her frustrating as I'd rather she was a success at golf and not as a social media personality.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to agree with that assessment, though I do find her frustrating as I'd rather she was a success at golf and not as a social media personality.

Why?

I mean I kind of get it that she's in the public eye, but we wouldn't say such things if our mate changed careers for something more lucrative.

As much as I love golf, if I had the choice to either play golf as a tour pro, survive, maybe win a few small tournaments and do ok, or get paid millions and play as much golf as I wanted during my leisure time, and even as part of that job, but the job wasn't as a golf pro, I'd take the second option every time.

You see the same said about musicians "selling out", yet very few "normal" people would take negative career choices, just to entertain others.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why?

I mean I kind of get it that she's in the public eye, but we wouldn't say such things if our mate changed careers for something more lucrative.

As much as I love golf, if I had the choice to either play golf as a tour pro, survive, maybe win a few small tournaments and do ok, or get paid millions and play as much golf as I wanted during my leisure time, and even as part of that job, but the job wasn't as a golf pro, I'd take the second option every time.

You see the same said about musicians "selling out", yet very few "normal" people would take negative career choices, just to entertain others.
This for me.

I actually think she's been very clever as she obviously realises there is very little money on the LET and doesn't want to go to the US and qualify for the LPGA so she's decided to become a social media personality and combine that with playing. To be able to combine both and win titles is impressive

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This for me.

I actually think she's been very clever as she obviously realises there is very little money on the LET and doesn't want to go to the US and qualify for the LPGA so she's decided to become a social media personality and combine that with playing. To be able to combine both and win titles is impressive

She did try to qualify for the LPGA at the end of last year, she just didn't place high enough in the qualifying to get any status on the LPGA. She got some status on the symetra but she Mustn't have wanted the travel back and forth for the few events she was qualified for.

Good that she has buckled down again and getting to work on her game. The hard work has obviously paid off. I'm sure I herd she was working with Robert Rock.

User20204

Visit site
Why?

What do you mean why ? I've explained, I'd rather she was best known for her success on the golf course, not Instagram, not sure what it is I've said you're not understanding.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What do you mean why ? I've explained, I'd rather she was best known for her success on the golf course, not Instagram, not sure what it is I've said you're not understanding.

I mean exactly what I said, not what you wished for, but why do you wish for that?

If I like someone and wish them success, I don't normally qualify that that success can only be in a specific field, I just would like them to be successful. She's clearly both happy and successful, so why do you specifically wish her success was in a different area?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ladies golf is not prominent on TV and social media is a big part of life now so it's a great way of keeping your profile up, gaining sponsors and keeping them happy, and hence making extra money and opportunities. On the PGA tour 112 payers have earned over $1M this season, I follow the golf fairly well and there's still players on that list who's names or photos I would not recognise. The latest ladies European tour money list is topped at around 200,00 Euros, if your 112 on that list you've made under 4000 Euros and you still have the costs of being a golfer, caddies, flights, hotels, coaches, etc. It must be really hard to make a go of it on the ladies tour, I would like to see the figures but going by prize money, costs involved to the players, and the likelihood that sponsor deals are fairly small I think a self employed plumber would make it into the top 20 earners easily.