Careful......

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
don't know anything about whiskey to be honest (apart from I wouldn't want to open the million pound bottle by mistake) - good job he didn't have teenage kids, it might have been topped up with ginger ale ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reminded me of the 2012 Scottish comedy film " The Angels' Share " .
Whisky never agreed with me it made me very carnaptious :eek:

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
His collection was housed in what Mr Gooding called his "pub" - a dedicated room in his Colorado family home that was specially designed to showcase his whiskies.

Fancy going to a pub where you are not allowed to touch a drop!!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What is the point? Whisky was made for drinking. Like people that buy up limited edition motorcycles & hide them away as investments so they never turn a wheel in anger.

Yes, I know it's his money and he can do what he wants with it, it's just one of my random irritations (particularly the motorcycles).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is the point? Whisky was made for drinking. Like people that buy up limited edition motorcycles & hide them away as investments so they never turn a wheel in anger.

Yes, I know it's his money and he can do what he wants with it, it's just one of my random irritations (particularly the motorcycles).

To be honest, I've never understood the concept of"whisky collecting" or indeed the wine equivalent. As you say, whisky is made for drinking. I mean, is anyone actually going to drink a million pound bottle? If they do, fine. But if not, then it has no point. If all that happens is that it gets bought, sold, bought, sold etc, then presumably, eventually, all some poor sap buys is an expensive bottle of undrinkable, and probably foul, brown liquid.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
To be honest, I've never understood the concept of"whisky collecting" or indeed the wine equivalent. As you say, whisky is made for drinking. I mean, is anyone actually going to drink a million pound bottle? If they do, fine. But if not, then it has no point. If all that happens is that it gets bought, sold, bought, sold etc, then presumably, eventually, all some poor sap buys is an expensive bottle of undrinkable, and probably foul, brown liquid.
Wine/beer/whiskey that is kept well can age indefinitely if it’s kept away from light and oxygen ingress is curtailed. I’ve had a couple of beers from the 50s and 60s that were superb.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wine/beer/whiskey that is kept well can age indefinitely if it’s kept away from light and oxygen ingress is curtailed. I’ve had a couple of beers from the 50s and 60s that were superb.
But in another 50/60/100 years?

And even if it does keep truly indefinitely, then eventually it presumably becomes undrinkable through value - which to me is a bizarre concept

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
But in another 50/60/100 years?

And even if it does keep truly indefinitely, then eventually it presumably becomes undrinkable through value - which to me is a bizarre concept
Who knows I guess but the old stuff does get samples. Sometimes they’ll syringe off a sample for an old bottle for tasting. It’s always a risk though. Until a bottle is opened, there’s a risk.

Guess it’s like all valuable things. I’d love to own a Faberge egg but they’re ugly ass things. Something is worth what someone will pay!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wine, beer and brandy have no chance of lasting indefinitely in my house.
But recently we discovered that non vintage Champagne like Tatti , Bolli, Moet, Cuvee and Veuve can go off after about 5 years .
Every year I buy HID a bottle of bubbly for her Xmas, birthday, valentines day ,
and mothers day [ from the dog ] :D, turned out we had 7 various bottles of bubbly sitting the cupboard, going off :ROFLMAO:.
So we've been having one every Saturday for the last 4weeks, we're now down to our last 3 bottles.

Attachments

• 20210224_233647bubblyr.jpg
    20210224_233647bubblyr.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reminded me of the 2012 Scottish comedy film " The Angels' Share " .
Whisky never agreed with me it made me very carnaptious :eek:
Me too. Always enjoyed a wee dram though...(big dram even better). My Mrs always moaned at me drinking whisky as she said it stuck to my breath and she really didn’t like it...

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I love the idea of having a tumbler with ice and a good single malt, but the taste of neat whiskey is a bit like taking a shot of vinegar to me (saying that most spirits are.) However, a whiskey and ginger ale is one of my favourite tipples.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love the idea of having a tumbler with ice and a good single malt, but the taste of neat whiskey is a bit like taking a shot of vinegar to me (saying that most spirits are.) However, a whiskey and ginger ale is one of my favourite tipples.

If my memory serves me right the most expensive whisky drunk was in the region of £95k.
Couple of young London 'Merchant Bankers' or hedge fund managers finished it off over a weekend.

Seemingly not what is £7.6k x 16.World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake - BBC News

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If my memory serves me right the most expensive whisky drunk was in the region of £95k.
Couple of young London 'Merchant Bankers' or hedge fund managers finished it off over a weekend.

It would be wasted on me, or the whiskey aficionados whould lynch me for mixing it with Fever Tree Ginger ale!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wine, beer and brandy have no chance of lasting indefinitely in my house.
But recently we discovered that non vintage Champagne like Tatti , Bolli, Moet, Cuvee and Veuve can go off after about 5 years .
Every year I buy HID a bottle of bubbly for her Xmas, birthday, valentines day ,
and mothers day [ from the dog ] :D, turned out we had 7 various bottles of bubbly sitting the cupboard, going off :ROFLMAO:.
So we've been having one every Saturday for the last 4weeks, we're now down to our last 3 bottles.

My niece used to be a rep for one of the big champagne companies and this was something I learned from her. My son is only an occasional drinker and he had several bottles from his wedding day in his cupboard and I persuaded him to give them away (not for me sadly as it is a drink I only partake in to be polite).

RichA

Visit site
Helped my mother-in-law clear her ex-husband's junk out of the loft a few years ago. Found a bottle of Knockando that was already 20 years old when it was given to him 40 years earlier. She gave it to me as a thank you for my work.
Internet research suggested it was worth about £300, which would have come in handy at the time. I decided I'd never get another chance to try such an expensive whisky and it had cost me nothing, so I cracked it open.
I've always been more of a fan of the western Isles whiskies, but it remains the best, smoothest whisky I've ever drunk.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Helped my mother-in-law clear her ex-husband's junk out of the loft a few years ago. Found a bottle of Knockando that was already 20 years old when it was given to him 40 years earlier. She gave it to me as a thank you for my work.
Internet research suggested it was worth about £300, which would have come in handy at the time. I decided I'd never get another chance to try such an expensive whisky and it had cost me nothing, so I cracked it open.
I've always been more of a fan of the western Isles whiskies, but it remains the best, smoothest whisky I've ever drunk.
The smokiness tends to smooth out over time. I’m not a fan of imperial stouts that have been aged in Islay barrels when they’re young but after a few years they really mellow out and can be sublime.