Car Recommendations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
An overlooked car is the Peugeot 2008. Get a facelifted one registered prior to the end of March 17 and you'll benefit from cheap tax.
Available with a 1.2 petrol engine, (82/110/130 bhp), and a 1.5 blue hdi diesel which really does give exceptional fuel economy.
Decent sized boot, rear seats that fold completely flat and no lip to have to lift things over.
The "Allure" version is the most popular, but I personally prefer the GT Line model as it gives you SatNav, panoramic glass roof and reversing sensors/camera as well.
And on anything above the 82bhp engine you get something called "Grip Control" which works like a pseudo 4WD. Great for bad weather or muddy tracks.
Not a big car, it's only about 9" longer than a VX Corsa, but a lot more practical. And we get very few problems with them. Practically bulletproof.
I've had half a dozen or more as demonstrators, and love 'em. The best petrol engine is the 110. The 82 can run out of steam a little on longer journeys but is perfectly adequate around town and shorter runs etc.
The only thing I didn't like about them at first was the handbrake. It's a normal, manual one (not electric) but is a bit of a weird design. But I got used to it very, very quickly so not really a reason to dismiss the car.
If I were buying one I'd pick a blue HDi diesel in GT LIne trim. Reckon on 60mpg no problem......
View attachment 36225

Thanks, really helpful. I know the usual suspects but was looking for the value to be found on less obvious options and this is on the list

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can only add to the plus points Smiffy points out. Not much wheel arch intrusion in the boot for this type of car - desirable for a golfer. Chap up the club likes to sit on his flat load bay to change his shoes. Avoid the 82bhp 1.2 as the 110 actually has better mpg as well as a lot more poke. Very practical all-rounder whilst retaining an element of stylishness which the Citroen C3 picasso sadly lacks although fairly equal but cheaper rival in other respects for a 3-year-old car with similar engines and parts.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a Peugeot 308 estate, the allure 110hp version. It's lovely, needed the extra space for fishing gear. I really like Peugeots and we have had a few. They are very comfortable, drive well and are decently priced. My wife got Ford Focus but would much rather drive the Peugeot as would I. The Peugeot has all the guff with it, sat nav etc etc and it's an automatic as well. It was 3 years old 30,000 miles 1 owner, fsh from a main dealer and was 9k and came with 3 years full servicing and mot's as well

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
An overlooked car is the Peugeot 2008. Get a facelifted one registered prior to the end of March 17 and you'll benefit from cheap tax.
Available with a 1.2 petrol engine, (82/110/130 bhp), and a 1.5 blue hdi diesel which really does give exceptional fuel economy.
Decent sized boot, rear seats that fold completely flat and no lip to have to lift things over.
The "Allure" version is the most popular, but I personally prefer the GT Line model as it gives you SatNav, panoramic glass roof and reversing sensors/camera as well.
And on anything above the 82bhp engine you get something called "Grip Control" which works like a pseudo 4WD. Great for bad weather or muddy tracks.
Not a big car, it's only about 9" longer than a VX Corsa, but a lot more practical. And we get very few problems with them. Practically bulletproof.
I've had half a dozen or more as demonstrators, and love 'em. The best petrol engine is the 110. The 82 can run out of steam a little on longer journeys but is perfectly adequate around town and shorter runs etc.
The only thing I didn't like about them at first was the handbrake. It's a normal, manual one (not electric) but is a bit of a weird design. But I got used to it very, very quickly so not really a reason to dismiss the car.
If I were buying one I'd pick a blue HDi diesel in GT LIne trim. Reckon on 60mpg no problem......
View attachment 36225

That’s good to know a view from a expert? It’s the car I purchased and I have zero interest and knowledge of cars I only got it as my daughter has one and liked the look of it.

Happy with the car and no problems with it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s good to know a view from a expert? It’s the car I purchased and I have zero interest and knowledge of cars I only got it as my daughter has one and liked the look of it.

Happy with the car and no problems with it.

How old are you? Have you ever owned a decent car? Get one! Stuff the what is the best get the one YOU WANT ?. This is where I am ATM ? once this see tuff is done I'm getting the car I WANT. Current vlijes are s Mazda 6, Mazda CX summat, Mercedes summat, Big Skoda, big summat.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like Remul I am on my second Peugeot 308. I bought them as 1 year old ex fleet around half the new price. The fleet owners give them back to Peugeot either when they are one year old or when they reach a certain mileage. The one before this one was 9 months old with 16K on the clock but as a very low mileage user within less than 3 years old it becomes a low mileage car.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
How old are you? Have you ever owned a decent car? Get one! Stuff the what is the best get the one YOU WANT ?. This is where I am ATM ? once this see tuff is done I'm getting the car I WANT. Current vlijes are s Mazda 6, Mazda CX summat, Mercedes summat, Big Skoda, big summat.

It's just a piece of metal with 4 wheels that spends 8 hours outside my work and 15 hours outside my house and is driven for 45 minutes in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. I have zero interest in spending 30k to have it sit around day after day.

I am 50, passed my car test at 45 (Drove Motor Cycles until then). Never understood the obsession some have with them

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Don’t know what age has to do with it??‍♂️ but I’ve probably only had 6 cars in 40 years non were what I expect you would deem decent cars.

I have no interest in cars and think it’s a waste of money to spend more than 15k on a bit of metal.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am looking for something a bit simpler in a car. I have has the A5 convertible for a few years and it is time to move on to something a bit more basic as all I really use it for is a half hour drive to work and the same on the way back. Basically looking for a runabout (though I will be looking for some basic gadgets in the spec).

Will be looking at second hand with 20-30000 on the clock so where is the value these days. Am I better off stocking to the usual focus or fiesta (may be too small) or is the real value in other makes now.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I would highly recommend you test drive the cars on our shortlist before you decide. Some of the suggestions in this thread might lack some of the performance that you take for granted in your current car. Even if you have a relaxed driving style, you might miss the torque on longer journeys, depends really on what your half an hour commute looks like.

I enjoy driving my wife's Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost around town, but on A roads and motorways it runs out of puff and not very relaxing to drive.

If I were coming out of a car the size of an A5, I'd be looking to move to something Golf or A3 sized minimum, with decent horsepower (over 150!).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would highly recommend you test drive the cars on our shortlist before you decide. Some of the suggestions in this thread might lack some of the performance that you take for granted in your current car. Even if you have a relaxed driving style, you might miss the torque on longer journeys, depends really on what your half an hour commute looks like.

I enjoy driving my wife's Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost around town, but on A roads and motorways it runs out of puff and not very relaxing to drive.

If I were coming out of a car the size of an A5, I'd be looking to move to something Golf or A3 sized minimum, with decent horsepower (over 150!).

I will test drive them but it is good to have a few starting points. Performance is not going to be an issue. Country roads for most of the journey. For longer journeys, we would take my wife's Subaru anyway so really is just for me to get to work and back and potter into town every now and again.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will test drive them but it is good to have a few starting points. Performance is not going to be an issue. Country roads for most of the journey. For longer journeys, we would take my wife's Subaru anyway so really is just for me to get to work and back and potter into town every now and again.

Fair enough then - with 15k of mileage, I'd still be thinking about a bigger car than a fiesta (or equivalent) though. I'd look to stay away from diesel, but maybe go for a plug in hybrid. Golf GTE perhaps.

Budget is obviously a big factor as there will of course be cheaper options.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Stay away from the Mazda diesels, they have a fault where the inlet manifold cokes up and the restriction then takes the turbo out! £600 (ish) for the de-coke and £1500 (ish) for the turbo!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you’re looking at actual basic; Skoda Rapid. We just picked one up for £4500 with 50k on the clock. Boot is massive (for a smaller car) and you can get a sport spec one with all the creature comforts you need (although I opted for a blue rinse coloured non-sport one because it was slightly cheaper!).

I’m very impressed with it thus far.