Car parks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My guess is that they think people will take the mud off their shoes as they take them off and drop it on the floor. That leaves the car park muddy and messy. I don't know this, it is an assumption.

I have yet to visit a club with this as a rule but I keep hearing about them. As a confirmed car park shoe changer I hope I continue to avoid these clubs :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i first started playing my Dads NDN invited me for a game at Hammonds end in Harpenden where he was a member.

of course i was running late and needed to go straight to the 1st tee where he was waiting for me. putting my shoes on in the car park, when some old guy with a blazer told me off and made me go to the changing room to put them on ... we missed the tee time and had to wait for the next one.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To get people to go into the clubhouse after their game, where they may then spend money on a drink etc rather than go straight home

D

Deleted member 21258

I found the best solution, it is to park along the road just before arriving and change ones shoes there and then drive in.

Problem solved, everyones happy ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Someone's after a can of worms on a Friday!

I'm sure there was a valid reason for it 100 years ago, which has since been lost in time, but as usual golf doesn't really move with the times. I tend to change my shoes anywhere that's convenient. If they have a sign up saying don't change them in the car park, I'll either just do it quickly before anyone sees, or just change them while I'm standing outside the clubhouse getting ready to go and tee off.

If I'm playing a nice course where I think they might kick off about it, I have gone to the locker room to change shoes - it does feel like a waste of time though. If it was my club and I had a locker there that would make sense, as it is I'm walking in carrying one pair of shoes and walking out carrying the other pair, rendering the walk quite purposeless.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
We dont half have some bizzare rules in our sport :rolleyes:
Both the Clubs I’ve been a member of have the rule and I’m all for it.

I’ve always ignored it, never been pulled up for it. Don’t expect to be either.

So why in favour? Because it just may deter some of the shoe slappers spraying mud all over the floor after their game. Not sure why this winds me up but it does :) Why not just walk to a boundary and do it there?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Both the Clubs I’ve been a member of have the rule and I’m all for it.

I’ve always ignored it, never been pulled up for it. Don’t expect to be either.

So why in favour? Because it just may deter some of the shoe slappers spraying mud all over the floor after their game. Not sure why this winds me up but it does :) Why not just walk to a boundary and do it there?
Our carpark is surrounded by grass so no problem being a shoe slapper (my new fave phrase!) there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Allow changing of shoes in the car park and before long you'll have folks stripping off to the waist after their round...;)

Maybe simply just a way of getting players into the clubhouse rather than playing and driving off - and I guess maybe H&S with risk of slipping on paving slabs the car park side of the clubhouse when wearing spiked shoes - and damaging tarmac.