Captain's summer ball

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We don’t have a Captain’s Ball, but we have a Captain’s Bunker. Hope it doesn’t get as messy in the Ball as it does in our Bunker…😉

Our Summer Ball (prob the same thing) is soon coming up, and will this year be held in our ‘clubtent’…our clubhouse being ‘hors de combat’ as renovation and upgrade is ongoing. I guess it’ll be fun (you’ll understand it’s not really our thing though it is popular).

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At one of my old clubs they erect a huge marquee that covered the practice putting green and lovely flower borders [next to and joined to the clubhouse.]
It was a splendid black tie doo which everyone loved.
I always made certain the greens pop up automatic water system was shut down for the putting green and that the irrigation shed key was safely stored at home that weekend.:p

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first club, early 2,000's used to do a black tie dinner dance. I went to a few, it was a big deal for the in laws back in the day. What always made me chuckle was the number off ill fitting outfits, 80% or so being borrowed or rented. Half mast trousers, too long trousers, sleeves up the arms, jackets drowning people 🤣. Yes, I was in that group, both ends at different stages. A smart evening, it was not 🤷‍♂️.

Not been to one for years now, won't be rushing back to dress up.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
last one I went to there was a fight between two blokes on my table....no spring chickens either of them...one was in his 50s' the other guy in his 70's.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Things have changed. It used to be that i would go to 4 or 5 black tie events every year be it at sporting clubs, charity fundraisers, parties, everything was black tie. In the last few years I think I have worn my dinner suit once.

sunshine

Visit site
Things have changed. It used to be that i would go to 4 or 5 black tie events every year be it at sporting clubs, charity fundraisers, parties, everything was black tie. In the last few years I think I have worn my dinner suit once.

Same. It's nice to have a black tie event now because then I can actually get to wear my dinner jacket sitting in the back of the wardrobe.

I remember my dad offering to lend me his DJ when I went to my first ball. It was velvet with wide lapels, flared trousers and a massive bow tie. And I'm about 4 inches taller than my dad. No thanks :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same. It's nice to have a black tie event now because then I can actually get to wear my dinner jacket sitting in the back of the wardrobe.

I remember my dad offering to lend me his DJ when I went to my first ball. It was velvet with wide lapels, flared trousers and a massive bow tie. And I'm about 4 inches taller than my dad. No thanks :ROFLMAO:

I think it is just a change in trends, a lot more events I go to now are themed or smart casual of lounge suits and so my DJ will sit and wait for the next time it becomes in in thing to do again.