Captain's Drive In (with a difference)

User20204

Visit site
Maybe look at some of the comments on Twitter?

”Bell end”
”Old boys club”
”Exactly why I’m in no rush to join a golf club.”
”Unacceptable”
”Outdated”
“#everydaysexism #125yearsofsexism”
“Embarrassing to watch”

I don't see it as offensive/sexist/outdated but it is certainly embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 1147

”Bell end”
”Old boys club”
”Unacceptable”
”Outdated”
“Embarrassing to watch”
So just what a lot of non-golfers think about the game anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

D

Deleted member 23270

”Bell end”
”Old boys club”
”Unacceptable”
”Outdated”
“Embarrassing to watch”
Over 32K views and only half a dozen negative comments 🤔

Agree the whole thing is a bit bizarre but if you find it offensive then I suggest you never watch Strictly in case you see scantily clad women parading around.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you a member of a golf club or a golfer? And would you like to have more people playing golf and joining golf clubs?

Or are you a member of the non-golfing general public - a public that knows little about golf and have a very stereotyped view of golf, golfers and golf clubs?

I rather think Hugh that you are in danger of stereotyping the general public. If it wasn't for the "shock horror" brigade, I would guess that very few people would have even been aware of the story, and even fewer being put off from joining a golf club because of it. You and your ilk come out far too often with the "group of stuffy old blazers, smoking cigars in a wood-panelled room" (to use Dibby's words) reason that people don't want to take up golf. From my limited experience (I'm still a youngster :whistle:) I think you are wrong. It's too easy an excuse. Would that description apply to where you play? Just wondering ......:unsure:

Should I be shocked at the way most sports feature scantily clad ladies holding up boards and parading around as in motor racing and boxing, kissing the men on podiums as in cycling etc. Should I be put off from competing in or watching sports where scantily clad ladies are actually participating as in swimming, athletics, beach volley ball etc, etc. There again, I'm now wondering why I don't watch programs like Strictly, Naked Attraction, "reality" shows ...................

D

Deleted member 25172

Over 32K views and only half a dozen negative comments 🤔

Agree the whole thing is a bit bizarre but if you find it offensive then I suggest you never watch Strictly in case you see scantily clad women parading around.

Ha. Just wait until these people then accuse strictly for not being inclusive, as they cannot watch that sexist program. Everywhere they turn there’s an injustice to fight, and no issue is too small, so in the end they’re fighting themselves. It’s quite amusing from time to time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
TBH I don't really care whether you think it's tasteless or racist because you've clearly had an irony bypass when reading my post, you've chose to be offended by something that was meant to be ironic and it clearly flew right over your head.

You may respond to this reply but this will be my only response to you on this topic.

I actually wasn't commenting on the content of your post as I didn't take it as a variant on the old joke...

Apologies if I came across as accusatory on that - I didn't intend to. Just that your post reminded me of the old joke...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I rather think Hugh that you are in danger of stereotyping the general public. If it wasn't for the "shock horror" brigade, I would guess that very few people would have even been aware of the story, and even fewer being put off from joining a golf club because of it. You and your ilk come out far too often with the "group of stuffy old blazers, smoking cigars in a wood-panelled room" (to use Dibby's words) reason that people don't want to take up golf. From my limited experience (I'm still a youngster :whistle:) I think you are wrong. It's too easy an excuse. Would that description apply to where you play? Just wondering ......:unsure:

Should I be shocked at the way most sports feature scantily clad ladies holding up boards and parading around as in motor racing and boxing, kissing the men on podiums as in cycling etc. Should I be put off from competing in or watching sports where scantily clad ladies are actually participating as in swimming, athletics, beach volley ball etc, etc. There again, I'm now wondering why I don't watch programs like Strictly, Naked Attraction, "reality" shows ...................

Which is good if that is the case. Just thinking that there is a risk (to the club if not to golf) when golf clubs and/or members do such things - especially as they are frankly pretty unnecessary.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
They tried to book fragger in his dressing gown and wellies and thought that would be a public decency infringement

Indeed it would be, fortunately I have no shame:cool:

Cant see anything wrong here, but of fun, fodder for the "professionally offended on behalf of others"
how can people letting their hair down and not hurting other people be a problem?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ha. Just wait until these people then accuse strictly for not being inclusive, as they cannot watch that sexist program. Everywhere they turn there’s an injustice to fight, and no issue is too small, so in the end they’re fighting themselves. It’s quite amusing from time to time.

I find your post offensive (Mod Edit...Really?? . Maybe missing a smiley here ?)

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There is this Stevie Wonder Joke

At a celebrity party, Stevie Wonder meets golf champ Tiger Woods and mentions that he, too, is an excellent golfer. Tiger is a bit skeptical that the blind musician can play golf well, but he's too polite to say anything. "When I tee off, " the singer explains, "I have a guy call to me from the green. My sharp sense of hearing lets me aim." Tiger is impressed, and Stevie suggests that they play a round. When Tiger agrees, Stevie asks, "How about if we play for $10,000 a hole?" Tiger insists he couldn't possibly play him for money because of his sight handicap. But Stevie argues and badgers Tiger until Tiger finally relents Stevie says, "You pick the place and I'll pick the time?" Tiger says, "Fine. Pebble Beach" Stevie replies, "Midnight!"

...and there is this

Stevie wonder was once asked if there could be anything worse than being blind
To which he replied "Well... I could have been black"

It's the latter I am not so sure of and that HappyHacker1's brought to mind. But if we all think it is OK then all is good. I think it at least verging on offensive - and I apologise to mods if it is considered to be so.

D

Deleted member 16999

What’s it got to do with anyone who isn’t a member of Romford GC?
Wouldn’t be surprised if it led to an increase in membership for them.