Captain's Drive In (with a difference)

D

Deleted member 15344

Staggering lack of -awareness. It is not harmless fun. It normalises the fact that woman should dress in skimpy costumes and dance for people's entertainment.

It is normal for many ladies though and indeed men - it’s a career for a good deal of them

Have you seen what some professional dancers wear ? Just as little as those ladies in the video

What exactly is “normalising” supposed to mean when it is normal for a lot of people ?
Yes - I agree that the people in the video are almost certainly there of their own free will and there will be nothing illegal taking place but this is not something a sports club should be showing or normalising.

If people want to perform in, or watch, a show of this nature, then they should be free to do so of course, but completely inappropriate for a setting like this.

why is it “inappropriate” - if it was a Gatsby night at the club would it be appropiate then

People are judging the ladies without any context at all

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Haven't looked closely but I don't remember seeing everyone else dressed in 20's garb...so it doesn't look like a themed affair.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
So if the members of your golf club decided to have a karaoke evening and one of the members decided that he'd do a Stevie Wonder song and turned up blacked-up. What do you think...all OK? Knowing that other members are videoing the evening and sharing vids on Social Media - still OK?

But is n't Stevie Wonder black?

D

Deleted member 15344

Haven't looked closely but I don't remember seeing everyone else dressed in 20's garb...so it doesn't look like a themed affair.
It’s a themed drive in

We have one - this year people dressed up in RAF clothing and one Guy was dressed as a women

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Certainly not themed looking at everyone outside the clubhouse. All well and good to have a theme if it is done with taste and this in my opinion is tacky and tasteless. What if the lady captain did something similar on her drive in. I bet there would be even more protests. Surely keep it simple is the way to go and it does make you wonder if this captain has a "zany" sense of humour what else he may do in office

D

Deleted member 1147

It is normal for many ladies though and indeed men - it’s a career for a good deal of them

Have you seen what some professional dancers wear ? Just as little as those ladies in the video

What exactly is “normalising” supposed to mean when it is normal for a lot of people ?

why is it “inappropriate” - if it was a Gatsby night at the club would it be appropiate then

People are judging the ladies without any context at all

I assumed they were professional dancers, hired for the occasion

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Cringe-worthy. Embarrassing. Tacky. Ostentatious.

All of the above. And a bit of fun for a themed drive in at the club. I'm all for ensuring total equality at Clubs and in life, but we must be careful not to confuse real exploitation and sexism where it exists with something that is clearly a bit of fun. Charleston /Gatsby style troupes are available for hire - should those companies not exist? The crowd, as seen on the pan round, had a broad mix of people - young, old, male and female - I can see a major issue if the dancers were solely performing for the Captain's cronies in a private lounge whilst smoking cigars and drinking brandy. But they weren't; they were front and centre for the entire club.

Let's not go overboard with the comments and condemnation here and put it in context - these are trained dancers, hired for the occasion and no different to being employed to perform at a themed night or putting on a show at a community hall. If this is reason to be outraged, then primetime Saturday night TV (Strictly & X Factor) is in serious trouble.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone out there in the non-golfing general public who watch the video will have no idea whatsoever of the context - no idea whatsoever about what's going on. All they will see are four 'scantily' clad dancing girls being watched by a stereotypical group of golf club members. It's what golf and being a member of a golf club is all about - right?

Frankly I feel it was a rather daft and unnecessary thing for the Captain to do - good business for the participants and fun for the audience it might have been - but...social media...though maybe he hasn't got a clue about it's power and reach.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone out there in the non-golfing general public who watch the video will have no idea whatsoever of the context - no idea whatsoever about what's going on. All they will see are four 'scantily' dancing girls being watched by a stereotypical group of golf club members.

Frankly I feel it was a rather daft and unnecessary thing for the Captain to do - good business for the participants and fun for the audience it might have been - but...social media...though maybe he hasn't got a clue about it's power and reach.

I agree it is daft, but without meaning to be disrespectful, I can't agree with the rest. The performers are appropriately dressed for the type of dance being presented. I'm not sure what a stereotypical golf club crowd is but this is a still from the video (this is pretty representative of the crowd) - not exactly a baying crowd of drunk, dirty, old men. In all honesty, given the car, the attire of the crowd etc., you may well have been forgiven for thinking this is how the bride & groom were arriving for a wedding reception at a golf club. But as I said, it is daft, and given the negative criticism (unfair in my opinion), probably ill advised. But Social Media is a shockingly horrid place where context is irrelevant, and things on that should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

GC Crowd.JPG

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Lady Captain it seems was a bit more dignified...

OH MY GOD

If that is not cultural appropriation then i do not know what is!!!!!

Steel drums?

They are basically laughing directly at the slave trade!!!!

I feel sick to the pit of my gut.

Do these whiteys have no shame?!?!?!?!?!? my god the level of Caucasian privilege that exits here is unbelievable.

etc etc blah blah blah

god i love 2019

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I genuinely watched this video and ‘got it’ straight away. Those girls are complete in context with the car and music. Don’t see the issue at all.

Are you a member of a golf club or a golfer? And would you like to have more people playing golf and joining golf clubs?

Or are you a member of the non-golfing general public - a public that knows little about golf and have a very stereotyped view of golf, golfers and golf clubs?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you a member of a golf club or a golfer? And would you like to have more people playing golf and joining golf clubs?

Or are you a member of the non-golfing general public - a public that knows little about golf and have a very stereotyped view of golf, golfers and golf clubs?

I would be interested to see how non-golfers react to seeing this. Has anyone shown it to non-golfing friends and family?

I would imagine most non-golfers imagine golfers to be boring old men, and might be surprised to see this actually looks a bit fun, and not a group of stuffy old blazers, smoking cigars in a wood-panelled room.

I thought golfs problem was attracting and retaining the younger generation, who unsurprisingly see and do a lot worse when having fun.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I would be interested to see how non-golfers react to seeing this. Has anyone shown it to non-golfing friends and family?

Maybe look at some of the comments on Twitter?

”Bell end”
”Old boys club”
”Exactly why I’m in no rush to join a golf club.”
”Unacceptable”
”Outdated”
“#everydaysexism #125yearsofsexism”
“Embarrassing to watch”

User20204

Visit site
There is a rather tasteless and possibly racist joke about that...I heard told by I think Bob Monkhouse and would have laughed - but changed days...

TBH I don't really care whether you think it's tasteless or racist because you've clearly had an irony bypass when reading my post, you've chose to be offended by something that was meant to be ironic and it clearly flew right over your head.

You may respond to this reply but this will be my only response to you on this topic.