Cancelled Sky - Gone with BT

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been threatening to do something for a while as we pay £27 for Sky TV and the only one who really watches it is my daughter (kids channels). Total bill is £55 inc line rental, calls and broadband (up to 16mb). I wanted a much faster broadband as the main priority but my daughter was moaning about losing Winx Club and her other favourite shows - so instead of slightly cheaper Plusnet, I went with BT - seems a pretty decent option on an 18 month contract

The BT deal is £26 for unlimited 80mb fibre broadband - £20 for the first 3 months - and the cabinet is 20 yards from our drive so we should get this speed
£2 for free (after 7 plus weekend) calls
£10 a month for TV - reduced to £8 for the first year. This is TV entertainment (Freeview stuff plus 18 extra channels like Discovery and National Geographic) - plus the kids bundle that is similar to Sky
Line rental - paid £141 for a year in advance, which works out at 11.75 per month instead of £15.99 if done monthly

Quick maths (or math for the yanks)
First 3 months - £30 + 11.75 share of line rental = £41.75
4-12 - £36 (47.75)
12-18 - £38 (49.75)

And, we get a free TV box - recording, catchup etc - and free BT Sport channels, which looks to be well worth having.

So, going from watching no TV, to hopefully at least some football & rugby etc - plus super-fast internet!! Let's hope the changeover is smooth and no stupid issues!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been threatening to do something for a while as we pay £27 for Sky TV and the only one who really watches it is my daughter (kids channels). Total bill is £55 inc line rental, calls and broadband (up to 16mb). I wanted a much faster broadband as the main priority but my daughter was moaning about losing Winx Club and her other favourite shows - so instead of slightly cheaper Plusnet, I went with BT - seems a pretty decent option on an 18 month contract

The BT deal is £26 for unlimited 80mb fibre broadband - £20 for the first 3 months - and the cabinet is 20 yards from our drive so we should get this speed
£10 a month for TV - reduced to £8 for the first year. This is TV entertainment (Freeview stuff plus 18 extra channels like Discovery and National Geographic) - plus the kids bundle that is similar to Sky
Line rental - paid £141 for a year in advance, which works out at 11.75 per month instead of £15.99 if done monthly

4-12 - £36 (47.75)
12-18 - £38 (49.75)

And, we get a free TV box - recording, catchup etc - and free BT Sport channels, which looks to be well worth having.

So, going from watching no TV, to hopefully at least some football & rugby etc - plus super-fast internet!! Let's hope the changeover is smooth and no stupid issues!

Done it ages ago , BT Infinty ...............BT sport and all the rest plus more to come next year , still watch the footie on sky but up the golf club on sundays , only a mile away ..............job done .....................EYG

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I ditched sky sports when the premiership rugby went to BT. I do not get to watch much football and prefer to listen to cricket on TMS so opted for just the free rugby on BT sports.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
how do people find the wifi strength of the home hub - I am banking on it being stronger than my 5-yr old sky rooter - I get reception all over the house bar one room - hopefully the new one will sort that problem?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and a techie question. On the website it says that the tv box needs plugging into the home hub. This could be a awkward and will mean having a cable round the edge of the house from lounge to study - unless, we can put the home hub in the lounge on the second BT socket, which is an extension round the house in the exact reverse - does this work or will I have to have the hub on the original BT socket and not the extension? I hate wires all over the place!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

4-12 - £36 (47.75)
12-18 - £38 (49.75)

Ill wish you all the best pal but will only say this.

We left Sky, to go to BT a few years back.

The packages, tech and service were so bad, we ended up paying out the last 8 months of contract to move back to Sky.

Yes it's £20 PCM more, but it's so much better than what BT offer.

As I say I wish you all the best and hope you have a better experience with them than we did :thup:

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ill wish you all the best pal but will only say this.

We left Sky, to go to BT a few years back.

The packages, tech and service were so bad, we ended up paying out the last 8 months of contract to move back to Sky.

Yes it's £20 PCM more, but it's so much better than what BT offer.

As I say I wish you all the best and hope you have a better experience with them than we did :thup:

Its a whole different product now then 2 years ago , They are taking the game to sky so the product is much better , sky is good but there is a new player in town and the product is getting better and with the internet its free ..............more to come next year .....EYG

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We dumped Sky for Virgin in May. Even though they don't have as many HD channels the picture quality is still better than we were getting with Sky.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

4-12 - £36 (47.75)
12-18 - £38 (49.75)

Simples !!!?????????????????????????????????????????????????

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its a whole different product now then 2 years ago , They are taking the game to sky so the product is much better , sky is good but there is a new player in town and the product is getting better and with the internet its free ..............more to come next year .....EYG

Is the BT box still, basically, a free view box? With about 50 channels?

When we were with them that was basically what it was. You only got the "On demand" sevice when it was plugged into the internet (which had appauling speed so was problematic at best).

The only decent thing about it at the time was I could get Sky Sports 1 & 2 but had to pay extra for.

As for the tech they use. It was appauling quality.

It took them best part of 6 months to sot a broardband issue we had. Even then the spped was appauling!

We had 3 new set top boxes in 2 years.

We had a download speed of max 40kbps on their broardband (On Sky we're over 1MB/s).

After the 3rd box went wrong and woudn't receive all channels (Only 6), their Mumbai based call centre pushed us from pillar to post without solving the issue. Telling us it was a transmitter issue, when my mother-in-law (Who lives next door but one) had no issues at all.

When they did, after about a week and numerous phone calls, finally concede the box was faulty, we got the responce "We can get an engineer to you to replace the box in 11 days"

To which I told them "Don't bother we're having Sky installed in 3 days!"

We'd been with them for a shade under 2 years and from the get go had nothing but problems an poor service.

We had an issue with the box when we first moved to Sky, it was sorted with 3 days and have had no tech', product or service complaints since.

I really do wish PNW well, but if their service and tech is anything like it was, I hope he fares better than we did.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get it on demand ? the Ryder Cup

Can you? Would seriously think about a move away if so. Pleased Sky are getting some competition at last but it is spreading my favourite viewing (sports) a bit thin now it's Sky/ESPN :angry: and BT...

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We dumped Sky for Virgin in May. Even though they don't have as many HD channels the picture quality is still better than we were getting with Sky.

Im fed up with SKY at the moment and on the pecipis of ditching them :confused: I like most of the channels, and watch the sports, movies and Atlantic Sky 1 etc and format etc but they want a small fortune for the privilage... Ive been with them for over 12 years now and they still want another £12 pm on top fo the £50 we pay already for us to have multi room for the kids.....:( My wife went ballistic at them last night after they send us a deal which actually turned out to be complete crap. What options can you get from Virgin and are they a good comparison nowadays, ive heard ita bit scratchy....? Im in the middle of nowhere and dont have v good internet access as of yet....but satellite signals are fine. Help please...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Im fed up with SKY at the moment and on the pecipis of ditching them :confused: I like most of the channels, and watch the sports, movies and Atlantic Sky 1 etc and format etc but they want a small fortune for the privilage... Ive been with them for over 12 years now and they still want another £12 pm on top fo the £50 we pay already for us to have multi room for the kids.....:( My wife went ballistic at them last night after they send us a deal which actually turned out to be complete crap. What options can you get from Virgin and are they a good comparison nowadays, ive heard ita bit scratchy....? Im in the middle of nowhere and dont have v good internet access as of yet....but satellite signals are fine. Help please...

There's not much difference in the price, and you don't get Atlantic on Virgin. For me, it was having seen the picture quality of the Virgin Tivo compared to Sky HD it was a no brainer... the added bonus was Virgin's non-HD channels have a better picture quality then Sky HD. Maybe fibre optic doesn't have the same signal degradation as something fired through the smoggie atmosphere - the joy of living on Teesside(?).