Magic eye with a sky box.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In essence we have a telly in the kitchen. In the past we have had a magic eye working in the kitchen coupled to the sky HD box in the front room. It was I took out a few years back. missis T and lad have put a sky box in which works fine for free sat channels. But. A root through the drawers found the old magic eye. so Missis T and lad thought they would install it. They thought wrong. They cannot for the life of them work out how it should go. Initial thoughts was plus sat Ariel into back of eye, eye into back of telly and off we go. But no. Lad says a Arial lead needs running from back of sky box to 2nd telly should do It. It am sure we never do that before. Any telly advisors on here that might be able to stop WW3.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, I think your lad is right. There needs to be a wire connecting the box to the tv. I did a quick google and that seems to confirm it https://www.freetv.ie/sky-magic-eye-installation-problems-and-solutions/ . I used to have this, my blinkin wife cut the damned wire :mad:, and I thought it was a wire from the dish to the magic eye in the tv but it was a long time ago and so it may well be box to tv after all.

There may be some clever alternatives but Sky don't want to make it easy for you, they want you on Sky Q.

Tashyboy

Visit site
LT.
Me and missis T are trying to work out what the previous system setup was, we have had it working before but cannot remember a cable running through before. As it is, we or she may well go back to just installing the sky box. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I implemented a 'magic eye' so that I could watch Sky on a TV in a separate room from that where the Sky box is sitting. It worked - however.

The setup (which may or may not be what you are thinking of) had and output from the Sky Box to a transmitter/receiver (T/R) aerial - and an output from the aerial to a small transmitter pointing at the IR receiver on the Box. The T/R aerial connected to the Box sent a signal to a second T/R aerial in the other room - this being physically connected to the second TV. I could point the Sky controller at the T/R in the second room to change the channel on the Sky box; the signal was picked up and sent to the first T/R and that sent a signal via the small transmitter to the IR receiver on the Sky Box - and the channel was changed.

It worked - but the signal had to go through two walls a an angle, and though only a matter of maybe 15ft apart the signal transmitted to the second receiver was pretty weak - and sensitive to the orientation of the two T/Rs relative to each other. Was watchable - but not enough to stop me getting Sky Q for it to be done properly.

We do also have a co-axial connection from the Sky Box to the second TV (on Channel 68 I think). But that Co-axial runs all about the house to get from one room to the other and is subject to interference - and of course you can only change channel by changing channel on the Box directly.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
I implemented a 'magic eye' so that I could watch Sky on a TV in a separate room from that where the Sky box is sitting. It worked - however.

The setup (which may or may not be what you are thinking of) had and output from the Sky Box to a transmitter/receiver (T/R) aerial - and an output from the aerial to a small transmitter pointing at the IR receiver on the Box. The T/R aerial connected to the Box sent a signal to a second T/R aerial in the other room - this being physically connected to the second TV. I could point the Sky controller at the T/R in the second room to change the channel on the Sky box; the signal was picked up and sent to the first T/R and that sent a signal via the small transmitter to the IR receiver on the Sky Box - and the channel was changed.

It worked - but the signal had to go through two walls a an angle, and though only a matter of maybe 15ft apart the signal transmitted to the second receiver was pretty weak - and sensitive to the orientation of the two T/Rs relative to each other. Was watchable - but not enough to stop me getting Sky Q for it to be done properly.

We do also have a co-axial connection from the Sky Box to the second TV (on Channel 68 I think). But that Co-axial runs all about the house to get from one room to the other and is subject to interference - and of course you can only change channel by changing channel on the Box directly.

think that’s why Missis T may well,just put the sky box back in, cheers SILH

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a magic eye .. it’s a farce.
What you need is a splitter and booster. So the original satellite signal comes in to the splitter and the booster if required cleans the signal. Then what you do from there is dependent on the number of boxes and controls you have.
I don’t run sky anymore, we use BT and the telly in the kitchen is wireless so just does iplayer and I haven’t connected to Amazon prime or Netflix as we won’t watch something like that in the kitchen.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming you are talking about Standard Sky or Sky+ and not Sky Q.

If you want to be able to change channels without going to the main box, you have to have an aerial lead plugged in to the +12v Aerial out on the back of the box going to the eye then to the 2nd TV.

If you do not want to be able to change TV channels or are happy to switch them on the main box you do not need the magic eye.

My experience with 3 sky boxes is that the +12v fails (after a power cut) and I could no longer change channels.

If you have SKY Q you have to have a mini box which connects by WiFi.