Can you be too keen on the rules ?

wjemather

Visit site
I think that the reason my view differs from yours stems from my reading of the following...

View attachment 39748

Gimmies, mulligans etc are not essentially "unfair" if applied to everyone in the same way.
As with all other player responsibilities, this only applies with regards to submission of acceptable scores for handicapping. Since our hypothetical group are not doing that, they are free to do as they please.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
As with all other player responsibilities, this only applies with regards to submission of acceptable scores for handicapping. Since our hypothetical group are not doing that, they are free to do as they please.
So lets say this hypothetical group is 29 players and they play a Friday roll-up stableford with 100% course handicap. Only one player has a course handicap below 11.
The following day they play a club organised stableford (non-qualifier) where they all play off 95% course handicap. The single figure player plays off the same handicap, but all the others play off one shot below what they did the previous day.
Is the single figure player suffering no advantage or disadvantage in both scenarios?

I would say that the only way to be sure that no wrong doing (unfair advantage) is occurring is to apply the correct playing handicap for individual strokeplay on both days.

This dilemma does not occur in Australia, as there is no course handicap.

The only way for there to be no dilemma here is to apply the correct playing handicap for individual strokeplay "at all times".

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Yes, and we love queueing. (Sorry, we love standing in line)
We don't go to the dentist much and we drink lots of tea.

We reluctantly queue as well if necessary.
We just don't do it without bitching profusely, our upper lips being not quite as stiff.

Most of us go to the dentist for a cleaning every six months, but there are plenty of us without insurance who skip that little nicety.

As for tea, they do have it in Chinese restaurants. Not bad for a change.
Otherwise, we drink enough coffee to float aircraft carriers.

I have daytime coffee with a few drops of cream, no sugar.
I have evening coffee with a stiff fortification of Sambuca.

Swango1980

Visit site
I’ve been told about this curious incident in our Dad’s Army section. They play singles stableford for a couple of quid in the pot and also a four ball match for the same. Not a qualifying competition so no problem with the simultaneous play of differing formats. For the match, players A and B are partnered together H’cp 10 and 32. B claims 22 strokes in the match but player C insists that A receive only 90% of 22 = 20 strokes. In failing to agree matters became heated and C was told he was being over-zealous in applying the rules and no one was forcing him to play. C stormed off and has not been seen since. Why does common sense sometimes seem to be missing from seniors golf ? Was player C really in the wrong ?
Hmmmm, but Player C was correct. Player B was effectively saying "I want 2 more shots than I am entitled to". If Player B wants to make up his own handicapping rules, I can see why that would annoy someone else. Sad that it got heated though. If I was Player C, I'd have said "OK, if you don't fancy using handicaps properly, then we'll just abandon them and play off scratch"