Can you be too keen on the rules ?

RichA

Visit site
Could someone explain why we now have WHS. IT is supposed to make scoring fairer. But then we have 95% and 90% of your handicap on your own Course. ? Why?
Fair point. Why not build it into the HI calculation? Seems silly to have a different handicap for the same tees on the same course depending on the type of social or competition round you're playing. I must be missing something.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair point. Why not build it into the HI calculation? Seems silly to have a different handicap for the same tees on the same course depending on the type of social or competition round you're playing. I must be missing something.

That's what many of the people at mine are saying. Why go from one handicap to 3??

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It still baffles me as to why I have a WHS handicap, that then adds shots for a playing handicap, and the shots are invariably then taken straight away when playing against someone else or in a comp. My handicap is 14.5, which translates to 16 course handicap on our track. playing off 90% is 14. Might as well just play off my handicap, simples.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

As I said I think it was done to make it fairer for the low guys, us hackers get a shot/ point taken off us but if your 10h/c and below you generally don’t loose a shot/point.

Mind you if you put a general play score in 95% is still calculated for your score ??‍♂️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My understanding was they introduced 95% after studying thousands of rounds and deemed 95% was fairer for low h/cs
This I understand but when the WHS was set up using logarithms etc. surely this should of been taken into account. Reason I mention it is when we have our roll up fiddles. We have players who have a WHS of 15.3, 17.4 at our place, less 95% = 16. Whatever. It just seems a long winded way of seeing how many shot you have.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This I understand but when the WHS was set up using logarithms etc. surely this should of been taken into account. Reason I mention it is when we have our roll up fiddles. We have players who have a WHS of 15.3, 17.4 at our place, less 95% = 16. Whatever. It just seems a long winded way of seeing how many shot you have.
Why make something simple when you can make it complicated.
Not all countries use this system.
That’s why WHS is a bit of a joke , it’s not the same everywhere.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe so..... However, met loads who should have been!!
Yes so did I , but given a choice of tees and not forcing them to play for handicap off the tips might have made their life a bit easier.
They still struggle to play the whites at mine ,that’s the only avaliable option in the comps.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It only takes a few seconds to work out. Especially if you are doing it at your home course, you should already know the numbers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It only takes a few seconds to work out. Especially if you are doing it at your home course, you should already know the numbers.
Exactly. I know my home course CH is 11 (same for front and back tees) therefore I know my shots received right now: 10 for singles s/f; 9 for 4BBB Matchplay. No working out or debate on 1st tee required.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, there is no such thing as being too keen or a stickler for the rules - you are either playing golf, or you are gaining unfair advantage. This guy wanted an advantage over his opposition that he wasnt due. He may as well have asked that he have mulligans on every hole, but his opposition doesnt. To get in a huff because they wouldnt give him an advantage over them from is nonsense from him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Could someone explain why we now have WHS. IT is supposed to make scoring fairer. But then we have 95% and 90% of your handicap on your own Course. ? Why?
Well the 90% is because you are playing a differing format - mainly 4BBB , I can’t recall a time where is ever been 100% playing 4BBB - it was 3/4 at one point then went to 80% I believe

the new WHS calculations for 4BBB are a touch complicated - working out playing HC then 100% the difference ( in matchplay ) . Not sure why they didn’t stick with the use the Course Handicap and then the difference is 90 or 80% etc - I suspect people are still working out the shots they get in 4BBB matchplay wrong

As for the 95% - no idea , asked the question many times and given a “it’s how they worked it out” ?‍♂️?‍♂️ Random answers . Doesn’t really affect me but I don’t understand why if your course handicap is 16 you should play of 16 .

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I said I think it was done to make it fairer for the low guys, us hackers get a shot/ point taken off us but if your 10h/c and below you generally don’t loose a shot/point.

Mind you if you put a general play score in 95% is still calculated for your score ??‍♂️

Why would 95% be calculated for a General Play card - it's not a comp? The adjusted gross score just goes straight on to your handicap record at 100%

Tashyboy

Visit site
Exactly. I know my home course CH is 11 (same for front and back tees) therefore I know my shots received right now: 10 for singles s/f; 9 for 4BBB Matchplay. No working out or debate on 1st tee required.
Is that including 95% adjustment though ??

Tashyboy

Visit site
Why would 95% be calculated for a General Play card - it's not a comp? The adjusted gross score just goes straight on to your handicap record at 100%

Evening Jim. Hope alls well me man. Hopefully you can explain this in layman’s terms.

In a comp you play off 95% coz the WHS logarithm deems it fair for the comp. But if you put in a general score it is at 100% Of your hcap. But both affect your handicap.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It is a shame that EG went for the word "handicap" three times. They don't do this in Australia. The word "handicap" is used only for Playing Handicap for individual strokeplay which they call "Daily Handicap". They go straight from GA Index to Daily Handicap and they have no need for an equivalent to our Course Handicap.
So we could have called ours,
EG Index
Slope Adjusted Index
Playing Handicap

This might have caused far less confusion. I've heard that there is nowhere near as much confusion in Australia as here.

You need a handicap when playing with and against others - this will always be the correct playing handicap for the format of play.
When returning scores for handicap assessment and adjustment there is a nett double bogey limit according to your Slope Adjusted Index

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Evening Jim. Hope alls well me man. Hopefully you can explain this in layman’s terms.

In a comp you play off 95% coz the WHS logarithm deems it fair for the comp. But if you put in a general score it is at 100% Of your hcap. But both affect your handicap.

The score differential is worked out from your CH not PH - the PH is only used for the comp (y)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Ok my mistake I thought I asked on here before and was told it was 95% for general play rounds, must be getting old ?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Ok my mistake I thought I asked on here before and was told it was 95% for general play rounds, must be getting old ?
For General Play rounds do you really need to work out out a Course Handicap or Playing Handicap, just enter your scores and the app will take care of your 'adjusted net differential'

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Tash, what goes into your WHS record is 100% of your gross scores - with any necessary adjustments down to nett double bogey - whether it's a singles comp or a General Play card.