Can you be too keen on the rules ?

John Evans 9

Visit site
I’ve been told about this curious incident in our Dad’s Army section. They play singles stableford for a couple of quid in the pot and also a four ball match for the same. Not a qualifying competition so no problem with the simultaneous play of differing formats. For the match, players A and B are partnered together H’cp 10 and 32. B claims 22 strokes in the match but player C insists that A receive only 90% of 22 = 20 strokes. In failing to agree matters became heated and C was told he was being over-zealous in applying the rules and no one was forcing him to play. C stormed off and has not been seen since. Why does common sense sometimes seem to be missing from seniors golf ? Was player C really in the wrong ?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve been told about this curious incident in our Dad’s Army section. They play singles stableford for a couple of quid in the pot and also a four ball match for the same. Not a qualifying competition so no problem with the simultaneous play of differing formats. For the match, players A and B are partnered together H’cp 10 and 32. B claims 22 strokes in the match but player C insists that A receive only 90% of 22 = 20 strokes. In failing to agree matters became heated and C was told he was being over-zealous in applying the rules and no one was forcing him to play. C stormed off and has not been seen since. Why does common sense sometimes seem to be missing from seniors golf ? Was player C really in the wrong ?
Technical C is right. But as a group can choose to do whatever they like outside of an official competition they should have gone along with the groups agreed format.

sunshine

Visit site
Can you be too keen on the rules ?
Yes. Every club has a rules zealot.

I played in a comp with strangers a few years ago and on the 1st hole I asked what one of the group did for a living. When he said he worked in health and safety I knew I was in for a long and painful round...

John Evans 9

Visit site
You forgot that many seniors play golf for the sole purpose of having something to be annoyed about.

Your suggestion would require a small does of common sense to be applied. Something often difficult to find when required.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Funt1m3

Visit site
I get it, in the words of Monica Gellar “rules help control the fun” but sone people do go over the top outside of a competition. Be a damn sight easier if there were only 10 or so and not 100

Plus I do feel the older our group becomes the more of a stickler for the rules we become. Maybe it’s nature and we all end up storming off for the sake of 20, no 22, no 20, no 22, no, arrrgh I quit

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Saturday Rollup does the same and it does my head in when every time we are standing on the tee I find myself having to ask the same questions when working out strokes received in the 4BBB.

It’s not difficult to know your singles s/f PH and your 4BBB PH. It really, really isn’t. We can all divide by ten; we can all divide by two; and we can all add two numbers together; we can all difference two numbers.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I run the Saturday roll up where we have cuts for first and second for the players next three games. Two shots for winning and one for second. I simply send a Whatsapp and emall to our group addresses on the Friday to let people know what they are off (depending on whether we go off whites or yellows) and how many weeks they have left. Makes checking the cards easy and everyone knows where they stand. Saves any arguments

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In the singles stableford all players should have playing handicaps that are 95% of course handicap.
In the 4B match all players should have playing handicaps that are 90% of course handicap. Shots given and received in this match are the full difference between playing handicaps.

"90% of the difference" no longer exists.

We have plenty of player type C at our club - if you know what I mean.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In failing to agree matters became heated and C was told he was being over-zealous in applying the rules and no one was forcing him to play. C stormed off and has not been seen since. Why does common sense sometimes seem to be missing from seniors golf ? Was player C really in the wrong ?

Surely all player C has done with his hissy fit is cut off his nose to spite his face. Every one else has carried on with his golf and he's missing out. If someone stormed off like that at my club, and then returned he'd get the mickey taken out big time. Our roll up lot at the weekend can be tough and sometimes you need rhino skin although we all know (99% of the time) where the line is for each person

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Could someone explain why we now have WHS. IT is supposed to make scoring fairer. But then we have 95% and 90% of your handicap on your own Course. ? Why?

My understanding was they introduced 95% after studying thousands of rounds and deemed 95% was fairer for low h/cs