Can a teeing ground be Out of Bounds?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the title says, can a teeing area be out of bounds? (And I don't mean internal OOB as set by local rule - for instance, when playing hole X, teeing area Y is OOB)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was deliberately try to give a little detail as possible. But...

First tee - to right is putting green which is marked as OOB (Poorly marked, IMO). Over to the left, but a bit away, is hedge and boundary to car park. Also marked as OOB. If you take a straight line between the last white post of one to the first white post of the other, then the black tees and gold tees of the first tee are behind the OOB line. Dispute at the weekend, not involving me, arose when a player's shot from 18th landed on the gold tee - ie was the ball OOB?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the title says, can a teeing area be out of bounds? (And I don't mean internal OOB as set by local rule - for instance, when playing hole X, teeing area Y is OOB)
As the Teeing Area of the hole being played is a defined part of the Course, it cannot itself be OOB. However, it can be on an area which is isolated from the rest of the course such that playing from the teeing area requires a shot that carries over an area of OOB before landing on the fairway or other area which is not OOB.
I think there is a club near York which has such a hole.
But any other Teeing Area or ground can be OOB.

Edit: I posted before seeing your added description. It would seem that the two areas are badly marked in that they do not identify the termination of the OOB. Is there anything in the LRs which gives a proper definition of the areas?

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the picture I still think it is 2 separate areas and the committee needs to state this (or say the tee is OOB when playing the 18th)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO, the whole thing is badly marked. And IMO, there should be white posts down the side of the putting green, then across the back of the first tee.

In the absence of that, am interested as to what our rules experts might have decided on the day? Ball was lying about on the second 'e' of '1st tee'. (I know what I'd have, but I'm not a rules expert)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ps. Nope there is nothing in the LRs
The area is just badly marked. It would seem that the whole of the club house/terrace/putting green is supposed to be OOB and further stakes should be positioned below and to the right (in your diagram) of the 1st tee. In this case the Committee should make a decision based on 'custom & practice' and get it marked properly.
Committee Procedures 6C(6) should be their guidance.
When the Committee is unable to determine the facts to its satisfaction, it should treat the situation in a way that is reasonable, fair and consistent with how similar situations are treated under the Rules.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The above has made me think of a subsidiary (and improbable) question.

Rulefan says in post #5 that the teeing area of the hole being played has to be in bounds (in example above, the black tees) even if the teeing area is separate (ie an exclave) from the rest of the course. If the "tee box" in the exclave also has say, gold & silver tees what would their status be?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The above has made me think of a subsidiary (and improbable) question.

Rulefan says in post #5 that the teeing area of the hole being played has to be in bounds (in example above, the black tees) even if the teeing area is separate (ie an exclave) from the rest of the course. If the "tee box" in the exclave also has say, gold & silver tees what would their status be?
Remember there is a significant difference between the 'teeing area' and a teeing ground. (I assume a "box" and "ground" are synonymous).
The former is a defined area and only relates to the hole being played. It not only has to be in bounds, it is in bounds and not OOB.
The latter is not defined and is just an area of ground. It may be in bounds or OOB during a particular competition and may contain an area which is a 'teeing area' during the play of a particular hole.

The status of the silver and black depends on the status of "the box".

salfordlad

Visit site
Keep it simple. If it is a teeing area when playing a different hole then it is a defined part of the course. So play as lies for a ball at rest there when playing a different hole unless a local rule defines the area as an internal OOB.

The Fader

Visit site
As the Teeing Area of the hole being played is a defined part of the Course, it cannot itself be OOB. However, it can be on an area which is isolated from the rest of the course such that playing from the teeing area requires a shot that carries over an area of OOB before landing on the fairway or other area which is not OOB.
I think there is a club near York which has such a hole.
But any other Teeing Area or ground can be OOB.

Edit: I posted before seeing your added description. It would seem that the two areas are badly marked in that they do not identify the termination of the OOB. Is there anything in the LRs which gives a proper definition of the areas?

Correct. It's York GC (aka Strensall)

They actually have 2 par 3's where the tee box is located outside the boundary of the course.

From memory I think there is a local rule that it you fail to get your ball back onto the course, you play from where it lies
without penalty. Could be wrong though.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct. It's York GC (aka Strensall)

They actually have 2 par 3's where the tee box is located outside the boundary of the course.

From memory I think there is a local rule that it you fail to get your ball back onto the course, you play from where it lies
without penalty. Could be wrong though.
I haven't played there for some years and wasn't sure if they'd been changed. I never missed the green so can't comment on any local rule ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it is a teeing area when playing a different hole then it is a defined part of the course.

Not sure but I assume you mean 'general area'

Teeing Area
The area the player must play from in starting the hole they are playing.

The teeing area is one of the five defined areas of the course.

All other teeing locations on the course (whether on the same hole or any other hole) are part of the general area.