Caddy crisis

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Me and a few mates are playing some of the courses around Birkdale, inc. Birkdale itself. We were thinking about getting caddies when we play the Open course but are they worth forking out the extra cash? Has anyone used a caddy before?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Went up to St Andrews in October last year and had a similar dilema. I had never used a caddy before and wasn't sure i particularly liked the idea and thought it might put me off. however, we were playing the old Course and in the end we went for it and I can only say I am so glad I did.

It made all the difference and after the 1st hole i was used to addditional presence and all unease disappeared. Direction of the tee, the best club to hit in and the greeens, oh yes the greens. That was the best thing for me - putts being read absolutely perfectly for you and the results were great.

I would urge you to use one for Birkdale, well worth the cash.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I have never had a caddy and am not sure how i'd feel about it but Birkdale is as good a place as any if you are going to get one just to experience it exactly like the pro's do.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah you ddo feel pretty special as someone goes up takes the flag out for you, gives you the exact line and then hands you a 3-iron on the tee and tells you to fire it down the right with a slight draw...easy!

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having a caddie is good fun (I used one recently). You feel like a Tour pro - I think it was that that made me play better.

If it's Birkdale It's probably worth it

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
£40 plus a tip I suppose. Still, if you can afford to play at Birkdale of it's ilk, then I suppose you don't have to worry too much about £40 plus for a Caddie. It's out of my price range I'm afraid.