Bury F.C

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will put my hands up first and say I have a passing interest in football rather than being a fan but I can see the poor situation that the game is in. Everyone wants that premiership money and so some clubs spend well beyond their means to move in that direction. When this does not work, the club are left on the brink of collapse. The lesson is never learned, however, as it is rare (I am not aware of any) for a club to be allowed to go under. The amount of time and the amount of chances that are given to a football club that are not given to a normal business seem obscene but it is football and so extra leeway is given.

Sadly this is happening in rugby and it is only a salary cap that is keeping some of this in check. How have the clubs reacted to this, they want to ringfence the premiership so as the big clubs are protected. If football ever ends up with a Premiership 2 so that all of the big names are in one or the other, I can see this happening in football as well.

What would I suggest. Salary caps in the lower leagues to prevent over spending with compulsory relegation clauses to bring wages in line with the salary cap in each given league. A levy on earnings for all clubs as a percentage of turnover to be applied to fund which will pay wages for a club in financial trouble. Such funds are to be repaid by the new owner if the club is bought. The name of any club and associated copyright passes to the FA should a club fold so as it can be applied for and issued to a new club in the lower leagues that represents that community, effectively allowing failed historic clubs to be reborn.

Just a few thoughts, probably none of which are realistic.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Its mad when you look at the list of clubs who’ve entered into Administration (the overwhelming majority since the EPL started as it happens) but north of the border too, the team I follow (Hearts) have suffered this fate in the last 5 years as clubs desperately try to grab the crumbs off the table the big boys sit at/or claw their way up a level. And like most gambling even when you think you’re winning… you’re probably not

Best thing is to take the punishment and restructure (but it’ll only work if the fans want it in sufficient numbers) If they don’t then its bye bye and another club will replace them in the league
(unless you're Rangers in which case somehow the same club will replace the old club... but lets not open that can :whistle:)
:D

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Club local to me nearly got promoted to the EFL last season. Solihull Moors were only formed in 2007. In the close season they have put up a new main stand.
Just look at the number of clubs formerly in the EFL now in the National League. Stockport County for one now on the rise.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will put my hands up first and say I have a passing interest in football rather than being a fan but I can see the poor situation that the game is in. Everyone wants that premiership money and so some clubs spend well beyond their means to move in that direction. When this does not work, the club are left on the brink of collapse. The lesson is never learned, however, as it is rare (I am not aware of any) for a club to be allowed to go under. The amount of time and the amount of chances that are given to a football club that are not given to a normal business seem obscene but it is football and so extra leeway is given.

Sadly this is happening in rugby and it is only a salary cap that is keeping some of this in check. How have the clubs reacted to this, they want to ringfence the premiership so as the big clubs are protected. If football ever ends up with a Premiership 2 so that all of the big names are in one or the other, I can see this happening in football as well.

What would I suggest. Salary caps in the lower leagues to prevent over spending with compulsory relegation clauses to bring wages in line with the salary cap in each given league. A levy on earnings for all clubs as a percentage of turnover to be applied to fund which will pay wages for a club in financial trouble. Such funds are to be repaid by the new owner if the club is bought. The name of any club and associated copyright passes to the FA should a club fold so as it can be applied for and issued to a new club in the lower leagues that represents that community, effectively allowing failed historic clubs to be reborn.

Just a few thoughts, probably none of which are realistic.

Including the premiership? I mean, if only they all gave 10% of all transfer fees, that would be a tidy sum.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Including the premiership? I mean, if only they all gave 10% of all transfer fees, that would be a tidy sum.
Don't see why not. Keep the amount reasonable or capped and it would be a drop in the ocean to the big clubs but would be a massive pr boost in helping lower leagues. It could even be tax deductible. A win all round

Wolf

Visit site
Why should other clubs pay a levy to bail someone else out🤔

Why should Premier league teams pay a percentage of transfer fees to smaller clubs.

Each club is their own individual business and should be run accordingly not relying on a monetary fund from other clubs to bail them out when needed. Why should City or Utd in this example as theyre the nearest clubs worry about what Bury does its not their problem the club can't run itself. What next do we tell tesco, sainsburys et al to lay a grocers money fund for the local failing Cost Cutter to stay afloat.

Football is not a game at board level it's business and clubs should run their own business accordingly. Some as a result my go under and yes that's sad but that's nobody else's fault.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why should other clubs pay a levy to bail someone else out🤔

Why should Premier league teams pay a percentage of transfer fees to smaller clubs.

Each club is their own individual business and should be run accordingly not relying on a monetary fund from other clubs to bail them out when needed. Why should City or Utd in this example as theyre the nearest clubs worry about what Bury does its not their problem the club can't run itself. What next do we tell tesco, sainsburys et al to lay a grocers money fund for the local failing Cost Cutter to stay afloat.

Football is not a game at board level it's business and clubs should run their own business accordingly. Some as a result my go under and yes that's sad but that's nobody else's fault.
Because a number of professions have a fund to help those in the same profession in need, why not football. It is to help people not the clubs. Does it not make you think when there is so much money in the premiership and emergency food banks being set up for Bolton staff members. Just think a bit of social care, looking after your own within a profession is a good thing.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because a number of professions have a fund to help those in the same profession in need, why not football. It is to help people not the clubs. Does it not make you think when there is so much money in the premiership and emergency food banks being set up for Bolton staff members. Just think a bit of social care, looking after your own within a profession is a good thing.

And it's MILLIONS of pounds being swilled around in the top league. A few million passed down to keep a countries social weekend event alive would be money well spent! If the lower leagues were allowed to die, football, English football will die.

Wolf

Visit site
No it doesn't at all, because those bail outs won't help long term, the mismanagement of the club with the funds they fail to generate does not automatically mean it will stop stewards, ticket sellers etc going hungry. It will work its way in to player wages and keeping that part alfoat for further mismanagement. The club would allow lesser jobs to go because they know supporter groups would volunteer to fill those other roles.

Football isn't like other professions it's a game to fans to enjoy, a business to owners to make money. Other clubs subsidising them will solve nothing and paper over the cracks of bad business management.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
And it's MILLIONS of pounds being swilled around in the top league. A few million passed down to keep a countries social weekend event alive would be money well spent! If the lower leagues were allowed to die, football, English football will die.
No it won't, it really won't. Football as fans living in the past know it has already died its not the game of the working class man anymore at any level.

Football will continue to play at all levels, grass roots and professional but some clubs may go under but that is not the fault of big clubs not bailing others out

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The problem with things like this is that these clubs (I include my own in this) would think right we have x amount from the big boys coming to us so lets go for it, chuck a bit more money at it I'm sure this time it will work. And it won't and even more clubs will go out of business.

The expectation of lower clubs fans is also a problem. We'll be expected to go up this season, a poor season if don't, we'll sack out manager (again) and have to buy a new squad in the summer and hopefully get rid of the dross as well. The same the year after and year after. The expectations should be lowered, the costs should match and you should cut your cloth accordingly. Lower league fans don't chase the Premiership or the money that goes with it but they do chase the League 1/Championship and that unfortunately costs money too.

Our ex chairmen spoke about the jump from League 1 to Championship and the loss every year whilst in the Championship was unbelievable. Especially for a smallish club like ours. He walked away partly as he couldn't afford to try push us on

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not saying this money should bail a club out or be accessible by the owners. It would be an emergency fund that unpaid staff could apply to to get money to live on if a club is in administration. It could be limited to a maximum of wages unpaid. A condition of coming out of administration or buying the club is that any such payments are repaid by those in charge.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparantly there was a debate last night involving Stephen Warnock who spoke about Bolton/Bury and said that it come to a time where local clubs may have to join together to enable to clubs to survive. He said it wouldn't be perfect as every fan only wants to support their club but in order to carry on they have to get together/franchise in order to keep going in some capacity.

It only takes 1 bad season or a string of bad decisions to realise how close your club is to going out of business. I know, we've been there twice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So every time a club goes under, that's the Premier League's fault. Not even a little bit because they were poorly managed by owners. Even though just two clubs were mentioned and the other 70 clubs are alright despite largely not being helped by the Premier League. Alright then. :ROFLMAO:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So every time a club goes under, that's the Premier League's fault. Not even a little bit because they were poorly managed by owners. Even though just two clubs were mentioned and the other 70 clubs are alright despite largely not being helped by the Premier League. Alright then. :ROFLMAO:

Most of the other teams are in the same mess or being , just about, kept afloat by some monied loon. One dodgy financial decision and that's it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope not said that at all. Suggested a fund to support unpaid workers in the football profession paid for by all clubs not that it was the premier League's fault or that they should prop up the club or pay for it to keep going. Just a bit of social responsibility within the profession.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Nope not said that at all. Suggested a fund to support unpaid workers in the football profession paid for by all clubs not that it was the premier League's fault or that they should prop up the club or pay for it to keep going. Just a bit of social responsibility within the profession.

Isn't there a danger that if reckless chairmen know there's a safety net they'll be even more reckless?

Wolf

Visit site
The problem with things like this is that these clubs (I include my own in this) would think right we have x amount from the big boys coming to us so lets go for it, chuck a bit more money at it I'm sure this time it will work. And it won't and even more clubs will go out of business.
Exactly right, clubs would see it as a financial failsafe to include in potential budgeting instead of being financially responsible for themselves.

That social responsibility should be and is the that off the employing clubs not the responsibility of other clubs/businesses. I was recently made redundant from a business in the leisure sector, it wasn't the responsibility of other businesses in the same industry to ensure I was paid, football is no different. Harsh fact but its no different to any other employment. A back up fund would only as mentioned above give boards more free reign to gamble as they know there's a safety that they aren't even providing.

Most of the other teams are in the same mess or being , just about, kept afloat by some monied loon. One dodgy financial decision and that's it.
Welcome to the world of business. Each business has responsibilities to itself and its employees not that of others and has no right to rely on handouts

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't there a danger that if reckless chairmen know there's a safety net they'll be even more reckless?
I suppose so but the PFA offer similar help to players so some support for the regular staff would not seem unreasonable