Bunkers - What club do you use?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am talking about green side bunkers here.

Having a drink with one of my PPs post round at the weekend and I mentioned that I had just failed to get out of one bunker during the round as I had mistakenly taken my 58 degree wedge out of the bag, rather than the 54 which is my go to club for bunker shots. He looked at me incredulously and said you mean you don’t normally use a 58?

Personally, I much prefer the control I get with the 54. I will use the 50 for longer shots across a large green and the 58 when I need to get up and down quickly, but 90% of the time I use the 54.

Its got me wondering what clubs do you prefer and why?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
58 is my go to club as I can open it up. I will use a 52 on a longer greenside bunker shot (front bunker to a back flag on a longish green) as I can do the same and open it but it gets the extra yardage without having to swing too hard/long. I also have three different 58 degree wedges with a thin sole (Ping's equivalent of low bounce) which I find works really well in wet sand, well the sand we have so is my go to in Winter, my standard bounce I use most of the time. I also have a wide sole (Ping's highest bounce) which is best in the summer when the sand is fluffy or bunkers with a lot of sand in. Can't say that is technically the right bounce for the conditions but it is what I have found works best to me after extensive bunker practice and using them on the course

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on the sand....
My 58 has 8° bounce - better for packed sand or little sand
My 54 has 14° bounce for deeper sand.
With the state of my bunker play I'm just glad to get it on the green stuff

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Usually SW. But currently I use my 60 and trying to pick it up clean like a little chip shot. The bunkers are just to compact for my skills at the moment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
More often than not it's my 60°. That's the only reason it's in the bag, I don't use it off the grass. If there's a lot of sand and it's soft I may use the 56° because it has more bounce. But usually bunkers have little sand, or they may well be damp, so the 60 is the best bet.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Depends on the sand....
My 58 has 8° bounce - better for packed sand or little sand
My 54 has 14° bounce for deeper sand.
With the state of my bunker play I'm just glad to get it on the green stuff

This. Word for word. but add 2º to each loft! The way I played the other day in some bunkers I may as well have been using a putter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the moment because we have lift and place which virtually always guarantees sand under the ball I use a 54/11.

When there is nearly no sand or hard compacted sand I use a 52 low bounce.

D

Deleted member 23344

Vokey 58 degree ... 12 degree bounce. K grind ... great for bunkers.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i used to have a 56 with12 deg of bounce, but there were at least 3 pot bunkers i couln't get out of if you were withing a couple of feet of the face, switched to a 58/14 and that solved it but said 3 bunkers have been redone slightly different now, still happy with the 58 until it wears out

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used a 64 once to get out of the Road Hole bunker at St.Andrews. Somehow up and out to four feet and then boxed the putt for the best sandsave I'll ever make.
Normally it's a 56 but I will go 52 on longer shots.