Bunker Disaster!

stanleyboy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi fellas,

Played last night, 7 over for 15 holes heading for one of my best rounds of the year so far. Par 5 16th good drive (Wind helped) greenside bunker in 2. 5 to get out of the bunker and a 9, 4 over for the hole. I managed to compose myself, and finished bogey par for a total 86 which I was still happy with.

I fear bunkers so much, does anybody have any advice on bunker shots, I simply have not a clue how to approach them. Any help much appreciated!

Thanks SB

Absolutely, watch the 8 min YouTube clip on pete cowen (he coaches Darren Clarke, Bjorne, Westwood etc) and you'll see a simple and very very effective way for all bunker shots, I use it now after years of doing the old open club open stance routine and hit down, totally ineffective, watch Petes method and you'll see his touring pro's all with this effective yet simple method.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well the obvious answer is to book a bunker lesson. I did years ago and it was really helpful. You can try out the right technique under the watchful eye of the pro. Importantly you can also cover plugged lies, down slope and up slope shots. Those can be the killers.

I reckon for many players it will be the simplest way to save shots as with the right technique, a bit of practice and confidence you will significantly reduce the disasters unless you get in a really nasty place. It is sad to see people struggle simply beacause they don't know the basic technique when a pro could sort them out in half an hour.

stanleyboy

Club Champion
Visit site
It is sad to see people struggle simply beacause they don't know the basic technique

I have to say you are exactly right, it is my lack of knowing any technique that stikes the fear of the golfing gods into me when I see my ball in the sand!

I feel like I know how to approach most shots (that doesnt mean I execute correctly each time) but as a rule generally I know what I have done wrong or right.

I think I will watch the Cowen Vid and head to the local muni later tonight when its closed and get in the bunkers see how I get on....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I use it now after years of doing the old open club open stance routine and hit down, totally ineffective,

Totally ineffective???
It's got me out of bunkers quite happily for the last 40 years :D

I agree with mashie, have a lesson.
One question though....
Where do you position the ball in relation to your feet, forward, middle or back in your stance?

I use it now after years of doing the old open club open stance routine and hit down, totally ineffective,

Totally ineffective???

One question though....
Where do you position the ball in relation to your feet, forward, middle or back in your stance?

I'll reclarify what I meant, it IS effective in just getting out, I'll get out of any bunker 99 times out a hundred, however if I want to improve on that and have a higher ratio of up and downs or holed bunker shots then I believe the Cowen method will serve me better, apologies for the confusion as I've done it the old way for a million years and its been successful but I'm always wanting to improve. ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think if Stanleyboy took 5 to get out, he's not too interested in the advanced techniques of bunker play.
Learn to walk first would be my advice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Bob, I try sit the ball forward in my stance and honestly I do not know why I do that I just feel as though that may help me get under the ball????

Forward is good. The key word I use in teaching this shot is EXPLOSION
Explode the sand out with a big swing onto the green and the ball should come out with it.
Draw a line about 2-4 in behind the ball and try and hit the line with the club and follow through

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the open stance method at all.
As for direction that comes with practice,its all trial and error.
Confidence is built up over time,but the most important thing is commitment to the shot,so many quit on the shot through fear of thinning it through the green.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the open stance method at all.
As for direction that comes with practice,its all trial and error.
Confidence is built up over time,but the most important thing is commitment to the shot,so many quit on the shot through fear of thinning it through the green.

He's not as daft as he looks :D ;)

stanleyboy

Club Champion
Visit site
Forward is good. The key word I use in teaching this shot is EXPLOSION
Explode the sand out with a big swing onto the green and the ball should come out with it.
Draw a line about 2-4 in behind the ball and try and hit the line with the club and follow through

Hi Bob, thanks for that Ill give that a go. Another quick thing when you say big swing do you mean a full swing as if hitting a full 8/9 iron for example? if its too complicated to explain to a bunker numpty like me I TOTALLY understand!

Cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Think of it as a long firm swing.
Go at least 2-3 inches deep and the ball wont rocket accross the green.
Obviously, this is just for greenside bunkers where you want the ball to sail out high and land softly

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

Totally ineffective???

One question though....

You hit down on it in a bunker?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Totally ineffective???

One question though....

You hit down on it in a bunker?

Absolutely :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find concentrating on a mark or small clump of sand a couple of inches (depending on wet or dry sand) behind the ball helps. If you are watching the ball you aren't watching where you should be entering the sand which wont help hand eye coordination.