Bunker Disaster!

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the same problem once when it took me 6 shots to come out of a bunker.

I took a bunker lesson (30 minutes) and now I'm out in one 99% of the times and most are also good shots.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our bunkers are absolutely crap - it's more like playing off concrete for some of them, it's quite unfair really (the inconsistency between bunkers).

For some of them, the ball will pop out nicely - for others, you'll end up with the club face bouncing off the sand and then catching a flier, often sending the ball over the green into the bunker on the opposite side.

Does anybody have any advice for shots from hard/solid sand?

Cheers,

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting out of bunkers with dry sand I can do (usually), but when the sand is wet and claggy I am useless. Any advice on that situation please?

I'm not in a position to give advice, but i play it more like a shot off a tight lie and try to clip it and take a small divot.

This is probably totally wrong

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
My bunker play is down a few simple thoughts:

1. Club always enters the sand in the centre of my stance.
2. Stance more open the closer I am to the pin.
3. Clubhead more open the closer and fluffer the sand.
4. The amount of sand taken reduces as distance grows.
5. Take 3/4 swing and slap the sand with bounce of club.
6. FOLLOW THROUGH!

From hard sand...less club bounce is good, thus a PW or GW. Square face and play like chip shot. OR you can play it like a poached egg lie and really slap downward and leave the clubhead in or near sand.

Dunno about Cowan's method. Off to look now... :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting out of bunkers with dry sand I can do (usually), but when the sand is wet and claggy I am useless. Any advice on that situation please?

I'm not in a position to give advice, but i play it more like a shot off a tight lie and try to clip it and take a small divot.

This is probably totally wrong

I do similar, use my low bounce lob wedge and sort of slide it under the ball and pop it up. Works for me by no idea how or why.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my first incarnation, I used the classic method.

These days, I don't. The classic method is the best, but also takes the most practise. I don't stand open any more and I certainly don't open the face too much unless I have to.

I pretty much play it like a 40-50 yard pitch except the ball is 2 balls in front of centre.

...but I'm not an expert. :eek: