Building lag

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have spent most of this weekend working on my new swing, which is going ok. But one of the things that I am finding difficult is getting my hands more forward at impact, and getting any lag at all. Hitting the ball fine, swing looks better, flight is a bit high (obviously, since my hands aren't forward enough at impact).

Has any one else tried to add some lag, and if so, any tips?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imagine you are standing in a swimming pool with the water up to your waist........try to ensure the butt end of the club enters the water before the club head.......
no charge...:thup:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a video posted last week which had a drill to help this (along that same thinking as Rick's tip). Can I find it now? Can I heck!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
One lesson I had on this and my coach put a tee peg in the butt of my club and I had to focus on pointing that at a spot just past the ball for as long as I could/dare !! It works for me and I play with it on the range until I go too far and get an unmentionable - from that point I just ease it off a bit...

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Has any one else tried to add some lag, and if so, any tips?

Adam Hunter R.I.P, had me focus on holding the wrists, once they have naturally set, for as long as I could on the downswing, try it, it works, and you'll still find you are releasing too early if you video it, takes a good deal of practice and when you hold it properly you will see and feel a completely different golf shot that might even make you smile.

To start with Murph he insisted on trying it with a half swing, 6 iron and no more than 50 balls to get the 'feel' before trying full shots

good luck

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
focus on holding the wrists, once they have naturally set, for as long as I could on the downswing, try it, it works, and you'll still find you are releasing too early if you video it

I agree with this. It takes a lot of strength to stop the club coming through at all on the downswing. I set my wrists by the top of the backswing then don't think about doing anything with them. When your hands slow down near the hitting area the forces on the club will pull it round without you having to do anything.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why do your hands slow down?

My coach is trying to get me to hold the angles for longer, but obviously I am finding it difficult. The centrifugal force (even with my slow swing speed) chucks the club out unless I hold it in a grip of iron, when I don't release it, and shank it instead.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Murph, try addressing the ball as normal but just before you hit it, stand up straight and make a swing at an imaginary ball about shoulder height. Swing the club about level with the height of your shoulders like a baseball bat and you should feel the lag occur naturally.
Then lower to the ball and try and feel the same

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought it was a contentious point, no definitive answer either way.

You could say centripetal force but more people have heard of centrifugal I reckon, whether it's legitimate or not.

yes there is - it just acts in a differnt direction and on a different object than centripetal