Building lag

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Copied and pasted from elsewhere on the www.

Centrifugal Force, in physics, the tendency of an object following a curved path to fly away from the center of curvature. Centrifugal force is not a true force; it is a form of inertia (the tendency of objects that are moving in a straight line to continue moving in a straight line). Centrifugal force is referred to as a force for convenience—because it balances centripetal force, which is a true force. If a ball is swung on the end of a string, the string exerts centripetal force on the ball and causes it to follow a curved path. The ball is said to exert centrifugal force on the string, tending to break the string and fly off on a tangent.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The ball is said to exert centrifugal force on the string, tending to break the string and fly off on a tangent.

That's right, there is no outward force on the string only inward (centripetal) that is why if the string breaks the object will only go forwards on a tangent to it's position on the arc. The 'feeling' of outwards is just that, a feeling, not a force.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I got more lag simply by starting the downswing from a legs/hip turn being what triggers the start of the downswing, rather than the hands/arms. I feel the hands/club lagging closer to the body and then releasing much later than it did before. The other benefit is that it makes me pull the club straighter down the line

Chris

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Shaft lean at address is fine, I'm just losing the angles a bit early. Going to mess about tonight with starting the swing slower, and then going for it a bit later. Also have a go with swinging it base ball style.

@chris, my coach is adamant that the swing does not start from a leg or hip movement, and the arms drive the swing. For the moment, I'm sticking with him on this, as other wise there is no point in going any further.

Other than the lag business, I am fairly happy with what we have achieved in quite a short time. It looks much better, and I think will be a swing that will last. My previous swing was killing me, and hopefully some of my back issues will be reduced with the work we are doing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
@chris, my coach is adamant that the swing does not start from a leg or hip movement, and the arms drive the swing. For the moment, I'm sticking with him on this, as other wise there is no point in going any further.

I think that view is pretty at odds with most teachings.

The biggest fault of most golfers is the over the top swing and is more likely to occur when people start the downswing with the hand and arms, although I readily admit that when I was starting with the hands and arms I could, more or less, get back on track on the downswing (except on the bad days).

I think that you have to trust your teaching pro Murph but starting with the hips has made a real improvement in my strike and dispersment and I don't see too many pro golfers who havn't got a signicant hip turn in before they strike the ball.

Chris

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does any of this actually help?

From the top of the backswing, do you try to push the club downwards with your hands/wrists?

The only ways I can think of where you wouldn't have enough lag are if you don't set your wrists fully by the top of the swing, or if you physically try to straighten that angle between hand and club on the way down.

What all the garbage about forces actually means to a golf swing is that all you have to do is keep hold of the club while you're swinging around your body, and the magic of whatever force we call it will release the lag as the head speeds up and exerts more force on your hands/wrists as it tries to travel in a straight line but can't due to being on the other end of the golf club that you're holding.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think that you have to trust your teaching pro Murph but starting with the hips has made a real improvement in my strike and dispersment and I don't see too many pro golfers who havn't got a signicant hip turn in before they strike the ball.

The last time I had a lesson, the coach wanted me to use less hips on the downswing and asked me to feel like I was swinging with my arms first.
The important word is feel, because that isn't what was really happening.
I had so much hip movement that by feeling that my arms were doing all the work the hips calmed down to an acceptable level. I wasn't actually swinging with my arms only, but that's how it felt compared to what I was use to.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The last time I had a lesson, the coach wanted me to use less hips on the downswing and asked me to feel like I was swinging with my arms first.
The important word is feel, because that isn't what was really happening.
I had so much hip movement that by feeling that my arms were doing all the work the hips calmed down to an acceptable level. I wasn't actually swinging with my arms only, but that's how it felt compared to what I was use to.

Quite right Region, thats why I added that you have to trust your teaching pro, you can never be sure why he wants you to do something

Chris

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Aztecs, you really shouldn't be taking lessons from Rickg?

I am wondering if I need to start slower, and not hit from the top. I have no issues with an over the top swing as I am now nicely on plane.

I can't really see how you can pull the hands down to start the down swing. If your left arm is straight, you would have to dislocate your shoulder to pull straight down? All your hands can do is move in a rotary fashion around your left shoulder. A bit of a hip bump towards the target should move the centre of this swing forwards.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I can't really see how you can pull the hands down to start the down swing. If your left arm is straight, you would have to dislocate your shoulder to pull straight down? All your hands can do is move in a rotary fashion around your left shoulder. A bit of a hip bump towards the target should move the centre of this swing forwards.

This is Aaron Baddeley's hand path [red line].....

hp.jpg