Building lag

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This has totally lost me. I always thought lag was one of those things that just happened.

It does if you don't flip your hands at the ball. I'd have thought Murph's S&T knowledge would put him in good stead with the flying wedge drill.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have never had any lag in my swing, even with s and t. It is one of those things you either have or don't, and is very hard to change (in my view).

I have a swing currently, where I can hit it as hard as I like, and not lose it left. I quite like it, but there is no visible lag (on video).

If I try to introduce lag, I shank it. It feels like I am leading in with the hozel, and I guess I am, as I shank every one. This is not going to change really, as I have now shanked about 1200 balls in the last week. There must be more to building lag than just holding the angles longer. There has to be something wrong with the way I then release the club.

Currently baffled on this one.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have never had any lag in my swing, even with s and t. It is one of those things you either have or don't, and is very hard to change (in my view).

I have a swing currently, where I can hit it as hard as I like, and not lose it left. I quite like it, but there is no visible lag (on video).

If I try to introduce lag, I shank it. It feels like I am leading in with the hozel, and I guess I am, as I shank every one. This is not going to change really, as I have now shanked about 1200 balls in the last week. There must be more to building lag than just holding the angles longer. There has to be something wrong with the way I then release the club.

1) At impact do you have a flat left wrist and some angle in your right wrist?

2) Are your hands slightly ahead of the ball at impact with a little shaft lean (grip towards target)?.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
1/ no. I would like to.

2/ No, again, this is what I am trying to achieve.

It is hard to explain, but if I release the angles early, like swinging an axe, then I have ages to square the face of the club.
If I try to maintain the angles, so that there is time to get my hands more forward at impact, and my right wrist still bent, I feel there is no time to square the club face, and the ball comes off the hozel. Despite what 'the natural' golfers amongst us would have, just hitting hundreds of balls is not making this any better.

I need to speak to my coach, as there is much I do not understand about lag.

For instance, he wants me to chip with the ball further forward, so the club comes in shallow, and uses the bounce. This will be more forgiving.

But with an iron, this is precisely what I am doing, and yet it is perceived to be wrong. But I am striping it.

I love golf. It is so flipping simple.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ok Murph.... I borrowed the washing line..............

Here's a video of how lag works.... imagine I'm using my forearm like a club.. the first 3 'swings' are with no lag, the angle in my elbow is lost and my arm straightens.

The next 3 the elbow remains bent, this is lag. I turn my body to get my forearm level with the camera (eg: the ball)

I then repeat this on an inclined plane (like a golf swing) and then actually use a 'bat' and do 3 swings with no lag and 3 with....

[video=youtube;J9vY544lta8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vY544lta8[/video]

Part 2 is just uploading now.....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I bet your neighbours think your nuts :)

They're all dead! MMMWWahahahahahah!!! :mad:

Here's the second vid showing 3 swings with no lag (club flips down to the ball and wrist angle is lost)... and 3 swings with maximum lag (wrist angle is maintained and the turn squares the 'club').... and then a swing example...

[video=youtube;HjB6d8EpfgM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjB6d8EpfgM[/video]

(Don't know what happened there but the picture wont show properly.... will try again below.....)

Attachments

• lag1.jpg
    lag1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
the wrist angle that you have halfway down is maintained through impact in a swing with lag.... the turn squares the clubface so NO rolling, flipping or manipulation of the clubface is required.

lag1.jpg

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Even on the driver?

David Toms - Dustin Johnson - Rory McIlroy

dlag.jpg

....... average players! :mad:

(Nb: I wouldn't expect 'grandad' in the weekly roll-up to be able to retain this much lag but still wouldn't expect him to dump all the lag into the ground by flipping the wrists... some is better than none).

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yes.... and they should also use a hurley and hit a sliotar instead of using PRO V's :mad::mad:

Remembering of course to take a patio slab (or two) to hit off :mmm:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Murph, try addressing the ball as normal but just before you hit it, stand up straight and make a swing at an imaginary ball about shoulder height. Swing the club about level with the height of your shoulders like a baseball bat and you should feel the lag occur naturally.
Then lower to the ball and try and feel the same

Sorry to backtrack a day or two, but I wonder if some insight can be offered on this. I have tried this movement and get a lovely feeling of lag and late release, but when I take a golf stance it seems impossible to replicate. Suggesting that something about the leaning over in the address position inhibits a movement which is easy when vertical.

So it there any particular fault in the address position which would cause the correct movements to be physiologically impossible (or at least much harder to achieve) ? And what is the 'key' which is subconsiously so easy in the swing when vertical ? How can it be replicated when bent over at a variety of angles from driver stance to 9 iron ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I understand your question properly...
Why can you do it standing up straight but not bent over the ball?
When you do the drill I suggested, you are swinging at right angles to your bodyso the swing path is at 90 degrees to your torso.
When you bend forward to address the ball, the club isn't swung at the same angle relative to your torso. Plus the ball will be there and put you off. Its just a feeling...a drill