BT Sport

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a very complicated question about this, well it certainly was for the person with whom I had one of those messaging conversations with on Saturday. So I thought I'd ask here. Much brighter people.

I thought I'd get BT sport for my dad for Xmas, he doesn't do much but loves his footie and refuses to pay the extra for it Sky / Bt or otherwise. My dad has a BT phone line. So I looked on BT's website and entered his details and got a price, er...maybe not, then a pop up and a conversation took place and according to "EVE" the cost would be, and I've not got the exact wording (which I copied and pasted on my PC at home) but....."she" typed that it would be £22.99 the cost of this includes the line rental, the lowest BT broadband, which you need to have BT Sport £49, connection or might have been for the box and £6. summat for summat else. Then he can watch it on his TV.

Does this seem correct?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
BT and Sky are using the sports rights, especially football, to try and lure you into taking as many services from them (phone, broadband, satellite TV etc etc) as possible. So the more services you have with them the cheaper the sports channels will be. But there has always been set up/installation costs plus the cost of your box. They sometimes do offers where you get some of them for free, but not always.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just switched everything to Sky for £83 per month inc BB, all Sky channels, line rental, calls (evening and weekend). I was switching from BT and they offered BB for £10 per month after I had signed with Sky but I think football would not be in HD

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Thing is £22.99 sounds incredibly cheap. for TV, BB and BT sport.

For very complicated reasons I have both Sky and BT (basically my work pays for part of my phone line rental and broadband as I work from home). With BT you used to get all the BT sports channels in HD for 'free' if you took their broadband and line rental.

But over the years they have gradually reduced the free sports channels bit and of course tried to charge you extra to keep what you already had. I've always refused to pay for any upgrade as I just don't want it, to the point now where I now just get one BT sports channel in standard def, and not access to the channel they have all the European games on. I am expecting that they will start charging a small amount for access to that one channel soon, at which point I'll say bye bye to BT Sport as I hardly ever watch any footy. But I expect for 23 notes that is all you'll get, one sports channel in SD.

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now you see, I sort of got the impression that I wasn't getting the full SP, and now you've thrown another problem into the mix. So for £22.99 is it all the sport OR as suggested by HK just one channel?

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Now you see, I sort of got the impression that I wasn't getting the full SP, and now you've thrown another problem into the mix. So for £22.99 is it all the sport OR as suggested by HK just one channel?

I doubt anyone on here will know the answer to that as they may have been doing you a deal to lure you in. Suggest you ring BT and find out. But if it is for all the channels in HD then I am pretty sure that the price will go up soon once you have signed the long term contract and are out of the introductory offer period.

Not having a go at BT specifically as they all do it, but go in with your eyes open. After all, they have to make back the billions they paid to televise Norwich V Swansea some how.;)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt anyone on here will know the answer to that as they may have been doing you a deal to lure you in. Suggest you ring BT and find out. But if it is for all the channels in HD then I am pretty sure that the price will go up soon once you have signed the long term contract and are out of the introductory offer period.

Not having a go at BT specifically as they all do it, but go in with your eyes open. After all, they have to make back the billions they paid to televise Norwich V Swansea some how.;)

Don't they hold the key to the chumps league ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes it's the CL that is their big key

Believe when you get BT Internet service you get the sport channels free bar BT Sport Europe which shows the CL

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I pay £55 per month and use BTs Youview box to access the sports channels, including the Europe Channel all in HD.
There are number of ways to watch BT sport but I assume based on the costs you describe that its via their Youview box using streaming. Only concern for me woukd be £22.99 will contain £16.99 line rental so £6 for broadband sounds a bit cheap and could be a capped service which is no use. Will also be Standard Def broadcast.