Bryson Lofts and Yardages

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Crazy lofts when compared against a traditional set-up. I know there is some difference to offset his single length shafts and to try and counter his spin but it had me surprised.

2.5 to 3 degree stronger than radspeed GI one length irons.

sunshine

Visit site
His PW is basically an 8 iron, his 9 is a 7 etc.

173 yards for a PW sounds crazy, but 173 for an 8 iron is not unusual for a tour pro.

Ultimately this is all just marketing hype.

Springveldt

Visit site
Crazy lofts as others have said but I'm more surprised at the gapping between his PW, GW and SW. That's got to be a mistake surely?

7 degrees of loft between his PW and GW yet only 8 yards of carry difference.
6 between his GW and SW yet a massive 22 yards of carry difference.

Doesn't really make sense for a Tour Pro to have a 22 yard gap in his bag.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crazy lofts as others have said but I'm more surprised at the gapping between his PW, GW and SW. That's got to be a mistake surely?

7 degrees of loft between his PW and GW yet only 8 yards of carry difference.
6 between his GW and SW yet a massive 22 yards of carry difference.

Doesn't really make sense for a Tour Pro to have a 22 yard gap in his bag.
The gapping might be unusual because of the one length Cobra clubs - I think other one length users have said this in the past. He probably never hits a full swing with the SW or LW anyway?

Springveldt

Visit site
The gapping might be unusual because of the one length Cobra clubs - I think other one length users have said this in the past. He probably never hits a full swing with the SW or LW anyway?
I get that but if he's not hitting full swings with SW and LW wouldn't the gapping be even bigger?

Maybe this is why wedges are the weakest part of his game?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get that but if he's not hitting full swings with SW and LW wouldn't the gapping be even bigger?

Maybe this is why wedges are the weakest part of his game?
Well, I mean the three quarter and half swing yardages aren't on the graphic, but those will be the ones that fill the gaps I suspect.

Springveldt

Visit site
Well, I mean the three quarter and half swing yardages aren't on the graphic, but those will be the ones that fill the gaps I suspect.
You usually don't got down to 3/4 and 1/2 swings until under 120 yards though. Add in him being so precise, it's hard to imagine him going "146 yards, so 90% of a gap wedge" when in reality that should be a full SW if the gapping was ok.

Just seems strange that most Pro's have a 12-15 yard gap through all irons then you have Bryson with this huge gaping chasm with his wedges.

In saying that the gap between his 6 and 7 is strange as well. It's probably going to fry my brain trying to figure out what he's doing. If this was an amateurs bag (ignore the ridiculous distances) people would be saying ditch/weaken the 7 and make the SW/LW stronger.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You usually don't got down to 3/4 and 1/2 swings until under 120 yards though. Add in him being so precise, it's hard to imagine him going "146 yards, so 90% of a gap wedge" when in reality that should be a full SW if the gapping was ok.

Just seems strange that most Pro's have a 12-15 yard gap through all irons then you have Bryson with this huge gaping chasm with his wedges.

In saying that the gap between his 6 and 7 is strange as well. It's probably going to fry my brain trying to figure out what he's doing. If this was an amateurs bag (ignore the ridiculous distances) people would be saying ditch/weaken the 7 and make the SW/LW stronger.
Ok, but you don't usually hit a Gap 160 yards either. With his ball speeds and wanting to use the one length irons, gapping is obviously going to be a challenge, but as you say, there's no way he leaves it to chance. As @BiMGuy says above, if he's using the clock system he'll have 3 or 4 yardages with each club possibly.

Edit: As someone else touched upon, these might be the maximum yardages he got rather than averages as well, which would explain why some look a little out of place, like the 6 iron.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bet his 4iron to 8iron look like theyve barely been used!

To only have 4 clubs at sub 190 yards (which surely is the yardage he has left on all par 4s and par 5s) seems sub optimal to a non scientist like myself