Brooks #1

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some rise from the lad. Now new world number one and richly deserved too. His golf the last two/three years has been nothing short of sensational.

Phenomenal talent. Seems a decent bloke too.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really pleased he has managed to get to number 1. Has been playing some great golf of late and is a real talent.

Watched him at the Dunhill links over the years when he was a European tour member before getting his card and again this year after the Ryder Cup. Its clear to see his game has improved, can see him bagging a few more majors over the coming years.

Wolf

Visit site
Remember watching him on EuroPro tour few years back didn't seem anything exceptional about him..

Fast forward a few years really enjoyed watching him on the tour proper and see him live at Ryder Cup in Paris, his ball striking was league's from what I saw if him on EuroPro, also can see the gym work he has has put over the years and really decent guy as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
shows he is a bit different to you average American Pro, came over to Europe to learn his trade. i was lucky enough to see him in action when he shot the lights out at Spey Valley

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great achievement for him and he is a likeable guy

Let’s hope he can hold onto it longer than Rose done

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do think he's a far better golfer than DJ, when he won the 2nd US Open I felt he was the best player in the world at that time. So, overdue.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Quite remarkable that he has accumulated 3 majors, and looked so comfortable doing it.

When you think of the guys who have been out there grinding at the top of the game for years and not managed that level of success.

His mate Dustin Johnson being one who seems to allow majors to pass him by now, barely even getting involved over the weekend.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite remarkable that he has accumulated 3 majors, and looked so comfortable doing it.

When you think of the guys who have been out there grinding at the top of the game for years and not managed that level of success.

His mate Dustin Johnson being one who seems to allow majors to pass him by now, barely even getting involved over the weekend.
DJ is a fraud. Only wins on the easier yank courses where he can hit driver & wedges all the way round. I've honestly never really seen him play any truly great all-round golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

DJ is a fraud. Only wins on the easier yank courses where he can hit driver & wedges all the way round. I've honestly never really seen him play any truly great all-round golf.
Well apart from Oakmont when he was the US Open which was far from a driver wedge course

Showing a bit of lack of knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What about when he won his major at the us open 2016? That was hardly a bombers course. Even had the pen on the green rubbish in his head and held onto the win

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

One of the worst golf takes I've read on this forum. DJ is unreal.

Brooks is unreal. Can see him winning ALOT over the next few years, such a good all round game.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

This is so, so bad!

19 PGA Tour wins, 4 of which came in the playoffs, 5 of which are (WGCs including a matchplay), 15 Top 10s in majors, finishes top 10 in more than 1 in 3 events.

Yep, completely 1 dimensional. A total fraud :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well apart from Oakmont when he was the US Open which was far from a driver wedge course
Showing a bit of lack of knowledge
Except that DJ won the US open at Oakmont, easily one of the hardest US Open courses.
What about when he won his major at the us open 2016? That was hardly a bombers course. Even had the pen on the green rubbish in his head and held onto the win
So it sounds a lot like he's still dining out on one great round two years ago. :LOL:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, DJ did win at Oakmont.

I think that is a bit of an outlyer and that week he just hit the ball as straight as he ever had.

But yes, in general, DJ does really struggle round tougher set ups and doesn't dial his power back to be sufficiently accurate.

A very obvious example, being him missing the cut at Carnoustie then winning the Canadian Open the following week with a score of -23.

He is certainly very much suited to scoring on a resort course, by far the best in the world at that kind of golf, but undoubtedly has problems round a tough championship layout. His record at the Open has been terrible for someone who comes in as one of the top 5 picks every time. I can't really remember him every being in the mix at the weekend. Maybe when Phil won he was up there without really looking like winning it.

And in all fairness, if you are Dustin Johnson, why would you change all that much?
He's probably winning $10 million on a bad year, plus a few million in endorsements and will probably be the world no. 1 again before too long.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it sounds a lot like he's still dining out on one great round two years ago. :LOL:

Can I ask what you make of Lee Westwood and Luke Donald as world number 1's? It takes a a lot of effort to make it as a professional golfer, let a alone win on tour, let alone win a major and also get to world number 1. To say he is a fraud is just wrong, as Dan2501 says this is the worst take on golf.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, DJ did win at Oakmont.

I think that is a bit of an outlyer and that week he just hit the ball as straight as he ever had.

But yes, in general, DJ does really struggle round tougher set ups and doesn't dial his power back to be sufficiently accurate.

A very obvious example, being him missing the cut at Carnoustie then winning the Canadian Open the following week with a score of -23.

He is certainly very much suited to scoring on a resort course, by far the best in the world at that kind of golf, but undoubtedly has problems round a tough championship layout. His record at the Open has been terrible for someone who comes in as one of the top 5 picks every time. I can't really remember him every being in the mix at the weekend. Maybe when Phil won he was up there without really looking like winning it.

And in all fairness, if you are Dustin Johnson, why would you change all that much?
He's probably winning $10 million on a bad year, plus a few million in endorsements and will probably be the world no. 1 again before too long.

That's just horses for courses though. He plays well some weeks bad others, he likes some courses struggles on others. But to say he is a fraud is just wrong. By that take Adam Scott must also be a fraud as he has only won one major at Augusta, he just had his week and has struggled at all other major venues.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That's just horses for courses though. He plays well some weeks bad others, he likes some courses struggles on others. But to say he is a fraud is just wrong. By that take Adam Scott must also be a fraud as he has only won one major at Augusta, he just had his week and has struggled at all other major venues.

Agree, he's not a fraud. He's just suited to a particular style of golf.

Not sure if there's a player who can win a PGA tour event on -23 and is just as comfortable playing a US Open or Open Championship with a bit of wind and a winning score of -3. Even Tiger wasn't all that suited to those kind of events - with his Open wins coming at St Andrews and Hoylake, arguably the 2 most scoreable Open courses.