Britain is overweight.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does the half a pot of Tomato Sauce with my F&C contribute to my 5-a-day?

Yes, definitely. Potatoes are vegetables so the chips count as well. A slice of lemon in your gin and tonic counts as another. Tobacco is a vegetable crop so you could take up smoking to get more veg in your diet. ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, there is no such thing as healthy eating.
The only way to lose weight is to ensure that calories in are not greater than calories out.
I guess it comes down to definitions, but there certainly appears to be a lot of food stuffs that are associated with poorer health when eaten in larger quantities even when not associated with weight gain.
Other food stuffs have lower associations to poorer health.
'Mediterranean diet' appears to be healthier than ones high in highly processed foods.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You are a mine of useless diet related info.
Tomatoes are believed to be good for you and are part of 5 a day.
Red ketchup contains higher lycopene than raw tomatoes which is believed to be good for prostate.
That's what helps make it confusing.
FWIW, my post was seriously 'tongue in cheek', if missing a ;)!
Then why didn't you?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
'Mediterranean diet' appears to be healthier than ones high in highly processed foods.
It does appear so, but In some cases, the Mediterranean diet may lead to: Weight gain from eating more than the recommended amount of fat (such as in olive oil and nuts) Low levels of iron from not eating enough meat. Calcium loss from eating fewer dairy products.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It does appear so, but In some cases, the Mediterranean diet may lead to: Weight gain from eating more than the recommended amount of fat (such as in olive oil and nuts) Low levels of iron from not eating enough meat. Calcium loss from eating fewer dairy products.
I think what should be highlighted in bold is 'In some cases' Any foodstuffs can be abused to the point of being a bit unhealthy but it is fundamentally healthier than a diet of largely highly processed food even though it is possible to overeat with it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Final part of Michael Mosley's version of fast food nation served up on Channel 4 last night.
So what did we learn?
The food swamp mile at Tower Hamlets in London points to the future of all of our high streets.
Morrisons and other supermarkets do special promotions on food that makes us fat.
Because of mobile phones there is no need to leave home in search of food any more. Food will come to you.
Jamie Oliver is one to fix it. Strange how he looked even more overweight than he did last week.

Now there was a time when the rich were fat and the poor were thin.
It must be something to do with the government's levelling up policy that it is more likely to be the other way around now.
Thatcher inspired us to being middle class.
Clearly that's obsolete now; we should be aspiring to be upper class.
I mean, how do they hardly open their mouths when eating and speaking?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If the government is serious about this, there's a simple tactic.
The fundamental problem is that unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food.
So tax unhealthy food and ringfence the revenues to subsidise healthy food.
To achieve this, they really have to stand up to big business and do what's right for the population rather than the multinationals.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the government is serious about this, there's a simple tactic.
The fundamental problem is that unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food.
So tax unhealthy food and ringfence the revenues to subsidise healthy food.
To achieve this, they really have to stand up to big business and do what's right for the population rather than the multinationals.
Mars bar 70p (give or take, not bought one for ages) - 10 bananas about £1.50.
It's all about making the right choices

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Vegetables are very, very cheap.
Large cabbage 50p
Enormous butternut squash £1
750g of baby spuds £1
That was Monday at Tesco.
Finishing off the spuds and squash this evening. Meals for two all week with wild rice, lentils, pasta etc.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mars bar 70p (give or take, not bought one for ages) - 10 bananas about £1.50.
It's all about making the right choices
Or bad choice.
From Science Focus:
Bananas are slightly radioactive because they are rich in potassium, and one of its natural isotopes (variants) is potassium-40, which is radioactive. A lorry full of bananas is radioactive enough to trigger a false alarm on a radiation detector looking for smuggled nuclear weapons.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Or bad choice.
From Science Focus:
Bananas are slightly radioactive because they are rich in potassium, and one of its natural isotopes (variants) is potassium-40, which is radioactive. A lorry full of bananas is radioactive enough to trigger a false alarm on a radiation detector looking for smuggled nuclear weapons.
Looks like this is obviously a pet passion for you - ranting about food, weight, diets, exercise, etc and nothing anyone can say will change your mind so I am declaring myself bored, and out!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
No please, don't go banana shaped on account of me.
Blame it on the fast food giants, the supermarkets, the TV chefs, the politicians, even Michael Mosley, but never me.
The biggest lie we are fed is that more food will give you more energy.
But the body does not work off energy from food. It actually works off entropy. Difficult to understand, I know.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
No please, don't go banana shaped on account of me.
Blame it on the fast food giants, the supermarkets, the TV chefs, the politicians, even Michael Mosley, but never me.
The biggest lie we are fed is that food will give you more energy.
But the body does not work off energy from food. It actually works off entropy. Difficult to understand, I know.
Go on then give us the scientific explanation.

Have you ever tried not eating for a few weeks to see what happens?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is highly complex, but consider the whole planet.
It does not work off energy from the sun. It works off entropy from the sun.
We are part of the whole mechanism.