Bristol

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bristol is a nice place.
Friendly people, fine architecture, harbour, suspension bridge, even good graffiti.
Paul Dirac came from there and he has been compared to Einstein, yet few locals have even heard of him.
It got rich on the slave trade. Oh dear.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bristol is a nice place.
Friendly people, fine architecture, harbour, suspension bridge, even good graffiti.
Paul Dirac came from there and he has been compared to Einstein, yet few locals have even heard of him.
Lots of people all over the country/world got rich over the slave trade but that was hundreds of years ago and what exactly has it got to do with living in the city now ?

D-S

Visit site
Bristol is a nice place.
I moved to Bristol 30 odd years ago, am I supposed to feel guilty?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I moved to Bristol 30 odd years ago, am I supposed to feel guilty?
You are innocent, but it would be a mistake not to imagine the dark history of Bristol (and Bath).
Don't forget that even the church invested in the slave trade.
Many buildings were built on the proceeds.
Sick slaves were thrown overboard to become shark food and the ship owners claimed the insurance.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bristol is great - I grew up in a village just outside Bath and probably would have moved to live in Bristol after university had the missus not been from the South East.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are innocent, but it would be a mistake not to imagine the dark history of Bristol (and Bath).
Sick slaves were thrown overboard to become shark food and the ship owners claimed the insurance.

give it a rest. What happened hundreds of years ago here and in thousands of other places around the world does not need to be associated with a place now. The UK abandoned slavery well before other nations and was instuimental in pushing others to do the same. History is ugly and full of learning lessons of the past - and this is long in the past and we all now know how vile slavery was

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A very few rich people in Bristol, Liverpool, London etc were instrumental in the Slave trade, do you suggest the current populace of these cities should feel somehow responsible for these actions. Really!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fret ye not sir! The Colston Hall (main city centre music and arts venue) has been renamed the Bristol Beacon in recognition of your concerns.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I guess we need to be boycotting the Pyramids and most of Italy too.
Wrong. We need to boycott the Bible which supported the idea of taking servants and slaves.
Only by the better angels of our nature did we eventually realise it was all wrong.

Here is a guide to Bristol's heritage: https://historicengland.org.uk/rese...plantation-wealth/bristol-and-the-south-west/

Sugar, cotton, tobacco was cut by slaves. Bristol became the centre for tobacco products.
Had this not happened it would just be a small town near the Bristol Channel.

D-S

Visit site
Wrong. We need to boycott the Bible which supported the idea of taking servants and slaves.
Only by the better angels of our nature did we eventually realise it was all wrong.

Here is a guide to Bristol's heritage: https://historicengland.org.uk/rese...plantation-wealth/bristol-and-the-south-west/

Sugar, cotton, tobacco was cut by slaves. Bristol became the centre for tobacco products.

Utter drivel. Had the sugar, cotton tobacco been cut by well paid employees it would have still come to the UK and been traded in a major port which Bristol had been for centuries. Much of the wealth also came from other traded commodities such as fish, guano etc.so to characterise Bristol as solely based on slaves, tobacco and sugar is nonsense. It became a City in 1542 and had been a major sea faring city for centuries beforehand.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
l.

The Ancient Romans or Egyptians didn't follow "The Bible" so your objection to slavery is oddly selective, as is your knowledge of the commercial history of Bristol.

Of course wealth in the city was also generated by slavery, but there were plenty of other sources, and maybe your selective reading of history excludes the abolition of slavery, something that had existed since the dawn of time.

A sad feature of the forum. One guy's request for information is another's opportunity to start a row.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You are quite skilled at sucking the life out of a thread.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You are quite skilled at sucking the life out of a thread.

I find it hard not to comment on here at times, I couldn’t of put it better. I have been to Bristol and loved it. Never have I thought it would be better if I boycotted the bible. Reading comments like that, people will ignore the posters posts and they may well have something interesting to read. Others will go the other way and argue. None of which is good for the forum. ☹️