Bristol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm down in Bristol right now, looking at areas for my son to live when he moves here in September. Not been before and hugely impressed. The whole harbourside area in particular is excellent but we have walked for miles today and all of it has been positive. Loads of streets to wander down, bars, cafes, restaurants etc.

If anyone has not been before then I'd highly recommend a weekend away here. @Tashyboy I know you love a trip away with Mrs Tash. Definitely put it on your list if you haven't done it already.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had a good few visits down there with work. Like you, very impressed with what I saw. Stayed in a Radisson Blu right on the quayside several times.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I have friends down at Yatton, not far from Bristol, and have always liked it down that way. A really thriving area particularly, as you say, down near the harbour.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Did it last year LT and was massively impressed. Called in for the day when in Somerset. Missis T wants a long weekend there ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My first job was in Bristol…we lived for 12yrs in central areas. I had a flat in Redland and after me and Mrs got married we bought a house in St. Andrews. Loved Bristol; loved where we lived and we were v sad to move away with my work.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Apparently, harbour area has opened up a bit since a few of the statues have been 'removed'! :rolleyes: There was apparently a time when more slavery wealth was based in the port than in London!
Attractive 'town/city' the couple of times I've visited. Once accidentally timed it well for the balloon festival - absolutely stunning!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apparently, harbour area has opened up a bit since a few of the statues have been 'removed'! :rolleyes: There was apparently a time when more slavery wealth was based in the port than in London!
Attractive 'town/city' the couple of times I've visited. Once accidentally timed it well for the balloon festival - absolutely stunning!
Went to the balloon festival a few years ago. Great time, including the night glow but was slightly ruing by the 2 hours to get out of the car park. In future we would watch it from the Clifton area and avoid the traffic

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you haven't already, and you have time, have a look around the SS Great Britain.
We walked past it but it was one for next time.

Only one complaint, the Bristol Flyer to and from the airport. If you claiming to be a flyer, be a dedicated route from Bristol to the airport, then don't stop 15 times on the way ?. Bristol Creeper would be more accurate ?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Booked a night in Bristol with the wife, kids and dog. Not explored it at all. The last major city in England to me to stay in. Heard good things and looking forward to it.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Supposed to have a fantastic and very diverse music scene and has for many years. Never been as it's a touch too far for a night away but looking at a weekend trip.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Hire a narrowboat and moor up in the harbour, proper buzzing scene, SS Great Britain and the new Isambard Kingdom Brunel museum is a must ?

You can also stay overnight in one of the old dockside cranes that has been done up as accommodation.

Love the place

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bristol is a great uni! What's he studying?
Studying is all done. It will be his first proper job. We actually walked past the university on Saturday. Some gorgeous buildings.

Supposed to have a fantastic and very diverse music scene and has for many years. Never been as it's a touch too far for a night away but looking at a weekend trip.
I'd highly recommend it. It is a pain to get to, east to west and vice versa is always pretty rough, but it's a lovely place and there is plenty to do. We flew, cheapest and fastest option. Could you fly there from Leeds Bradford airport?

It's also pretty much flat throughout the centre so it is very easy on your legs to wander around. It's only hilly when you start heading out towards the suburbs.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bristol's my home town even though I've been away for 30 years, last place I lived was Portishead (technically Somerset) but also lived in few suburbs.
Kings Street just off the city centre is a great place for bars and music, also has a great theatre (The Old Vic)

Harbour has so much to see, the Great Britain (Brunel's Ship) and the Mathew (John Cabot's ship) worth a visit.

There are some great places to live around the City and County, Clifton is great for young people but a little expensive these days, Ashton and Bedminster are handy for the City Centre and much cheaper.

Great place to live but it takes a while to understand the dialect but as a rule of thumb put an 'L' on any word ending with 'A' - Indial, Operal, Queen Victorial, and so on, also when getting off a bus it's mandatory to say "Cheers Drive" ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My lad works on a lot of very diverse gigs at The Fleece. There and the Thekla were strong live music venues back in my time in Bristle, and are going strong.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great place to live but it takes a while to understand the dialect but as a rule of thumb put an 'L' on any word ending with 'A' - Indial, Operal, Queen Victorial, and so on, also when getting off a bus it's mandatory to say "Cheers Drive" ?
I had a mate who was a member of Bristol Ariel Rowing Club.

When I asked why they were called that he explained that when first formed and entered a competition they were asked their club name…they didn’t really have one and said they were from Bristol area…and ‘of course‘ the competition organiser proceeded to write that down as Bristol Ariel. Now how true I don’t know, but my mate was adamant it’s true, in any case it’s a nice wee story and reflection on the city.

So yes, it’s good to learn krek waiter speak Bristle.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a mate who was a member of Bristol Ariel Rowing Club.

When I asked why they were called that he explained that when first formed and entered a competition they were asked their club name…they didn’t really have once and said they were from Bristol area…and ‘of course‘ the competition organiser proceeded to write that down as Bristol Ariel. Now how true I don’t know, but my mate was adamant it’s true, in any case it’s a nice wee story and reflection on the city.

So yes, it’s good to learn krek waiter speak Bristle.