Breaking/losing golf equipment

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was laughing at a guy the other day for the misfortune he had suffered at the hands of his mother-in-law! :D

He was telling me how when he first took up golf he bought himself an inexpensive full set of clubs and bag from American Golf. As he got into the game more, he decided to upgrade his clubs. New bag, completely new clubs, totalling several hundred quid. His old set were relegated to the back of his garage to gather dust, much to his wife's annoyance who kept imploring him to eBay or charity shop them.

When he came to move house, his in-laws were up one day helping them sort stuff out ahead of the move. His wife was gathering stuff to send to the charity shop ahead of the move and he remarked that he must add his old clubs to that pile.

I'm sure you're ahead of me on this.....

Cut to a few days later, he's looking for his clubs and can't find them. Turns out his very helpful mother-in-law has taken his newer ones to the charity shop. He dashes down there, but they're long gone! :rofl:

Only thing vaguely close to that for me personally is leaving one of my clubs on the course a couple of times, but each time it's been handed in and I've got it back. Also know another guy who once drove a buggy over his mate's driver!

Any expensive mishaps for any of you?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I was with my elderly neighbor in a pro shop once when he spotted a left handed driver in the bargain bin, he got all exited about it transforming his long game so quickly bought it and hurried out to get ready for our game. Unfortunately the automatic doors shut too quickly behind him causing the shaft to get trapped and the head to fall off. Didn't help then that I was rolling about on the floor laughing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One car I owned had sliding rear doors. I chucked the clubs across the back seat and grabbed the door to slide it shut, the vibrations caused the putter to slide out and before I could stop myself I chopped large bit of the shaft off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was on a golf holiday with 3 others, one of whom was a pain. We had hired buggies one day and the pain had duffed a 3/5 wood and stormed into his buggy, club in hand. He floored the buggy, the club got trapped underneath it and it snapped in two. Thankfully I was in the other buggy and was far enough away to laugh and then compose myself before meeting up with him again down the fairway.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was trying out a driver at my local American golf in their indoor bay. The net was held up with scaffolding poles and after one swing there was a loud clang and it turns out I'd hit the head on the scaffolding pole overhead which caused a massive dent in the club head. I handed it back saying not my fault as it was down to whoever put the poles in.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i had a Callaway driver a couple of years ago and didn't like the shaft so a well known forum er changed the shafts over for me in exchange for a 3 wood head. first round i used it, it lasted 4 hits and the head disappeared into a large stretch of Gorse. too two of us 2 hours to find it:(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've posted this before but it was a while ago and worth repeating.
I think it was 1995 or 96
There was a Golf show at the NEC Birmingham
They'd built a range over one of the lakes and were using floating range balls
My mate Andy and me went up to this show and had a good nose around - lots of stuff to look at and a decent show all in all.
We'd booked a time on the range for late afternoon - the same time that the TaylorMade Long Drive team were finishing their set and Monty was coming in to do his bit.
Most of the range was covered but, as Monty was there, we were moved to the uncovered end.
TM had just released the Bubble Burner Titanium driver that cost a zillion quid.
We were handed one each and a bucket of balls and we got on with it.
Unfortunately it had just started to drizzle....
We were swinging away, listening to the gasps from Monty's display, when Andy took an almighty swing.
The slightly damp grip gave him none whatsoever and the £300 club went cartwheeling about 70 yards into the lake
A huge splash and everyone, including Monty, turned round to see which humpty had just chucked a new driver in the drink.
They didn't see me - I was rolling around the floor trying to keep all bodily fluids intact.....
Andy just stood there wishing the floor would swallow him up.
He shuffled over to the TM rep and explained the situation, pleading damp grips as mitigation.
The TM rep said " no worries, that's the 5th one today - we'll send a diver in on Monday to find them...."

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember maneuvering around some railings at a range and hearing a big catch. Caught my 5 wood shaft in the bars and broke it.

Ended up replacing both driver and 5 wood shafts with two fitted shafts which revolutionised my game. Sold them on when I gave up the game the first time.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many years ago, on the 13th tee at Almerimar, when my mate sliced yet another drive deep into the trees.
He was so annoyed that he launched his driver at his golf bag.
Amazingly his driver survived ...................... but the next shot with his 5 wood saw it snap in half.
He'd also damaged the shaft on his 3 wood. :rofl:
Magnificent performance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mate Andy and me went up to this show and had a good nose around - lots of stuff to look at and a decent show all in all.
We'd booked a time on the range for late afternoon - the same time that the TaylorMade Long Drive team were finishing their set and Monty was coming in to do his bit.
Most of the range was covered but, as Monty was there, we were moved to the uncovered end.
TM had just released the Bubble Burner Titanium driver that cost a zillion quid.
We were swinging away, listening to the gasps from Monty's display, when Andy took an almighty swing.
The slightly damp grip gave him none whatsoever and the £300 club went cartwheeling about 70 yards into the lake
A huge splash and everyone, including Monty, turned round to see which humpty had just chucked a new driver in the drink.
They didn't see me - I was rolling around the floor trying to keep all bodily fluids intact.....
He shuffled over to the TM rep and explained the situation, pleading damp grips as mitigation.
The TM rep said " no worries, that's the 5th one today - we'll send a diver in on Monday to find them...."

:rofl:

Does the modern day 460cc head float? who wants to test it out?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The grips that put on those clubs were simply appalling in the wet. After the first time I played with one in the wet the grip got changed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

That's quality

D

Deleted member 23344

Thanks to all those who have posted stories ... had a good laugh out loud. 😂😂

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I asked a guy at my club why he wasn't using his regular set he went on to explain that somehow his power trolly battery must have short circut and set fire to the boot of his car,not only did this fella lose his entire set of clubs but also the damage to his BMW was so bad that it was deemed a right off!.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was reading this last night thinking to myself "how on earth do people lose so many golf items" played today and realised after my round that I'd left my Garmin S3 charger cable wrapped round my bag handle, needless to say after 18 holes it wasn't still there...dooh.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I asked a guy at my club why he wasn't using his regular set he went on to explain that somehow his power trolly battery must have short circut and set fire to the boot of his car,not only did this fella lose his entire set of clubs but also the damage to his BMW was so bad that it was deemed a right off!.

Oooooh, ouch!!! :rofl:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:rofl:

Does the modern day 460cc head float? who wants to test it out?
yes it does
My mate also called Andy had a new driver with a bolt on head .
We had a day at Mere golf and CC where they have a driving range into the mere.
His head came off the driver and landed in the water and it does float.
We told the starter and he said " I will sort it"
Que a young green keeper in a rowing boat collects it and brings it back to him!
Bolt had sheared and they float because the old ones were full of foam.
Not sure about today's ones as I think they are hollow but displacement theory says they should float as long as they are watertight just like a 100 ton ship made of steel.