'Boutique' golf balls

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

For want of a better description, just wondered who has changed full time to one of the 'boutique' manufacturers such as Vice or Snell (and also the Costco one but can't remember what it is called) and moved away from the big guys like Titleist, TM, Srixon etc.

I like to try all the new balls and been very impressed with the Snell MTB Black but I have a stock of TM's to use up first.

Any regrets about changing and will you stick with your new choice long term?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kirkland Signature is the one from Costco. ;)!

Cut are another brand :)

Nope, but have tried a Vice which seemed ok. I'm happy with the DX2 Optix.....funky colours!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Really liked the MTB Blacks too.

But just got a seasons worth of Vice Pro balls and absolutely no regrets. Love them and so much more affordable than the equivalent from the big brands.

I am now of the opinion that not just balls but boutique is the way forward for me in all areas of golf

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a couple of vice balls in the past and have liked them. I am tempted to get some of them to give them a proper test but haven't got round to it yet.

For me I suppose it is just easier to get the better known brands in shops instead of having to order online.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ordered the taster pack from Vice, so far the Vice Pro is my favourite, and could certainly recommend it.

Same here. Seem decent balls to play but I found they scuffed up a lot quicker than the know brands.

tbh I'm happy playing almost any ball it doesn't bother me that much.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bought a tester pack of half dozen Snell MTB black and MTB red, tried them last week and I like the red, so I've bought a dozen Snell MTB Red, they will be my go to ball now, replacing the Srixon AD333 Tour.

The MTB Black is a three piece ball and is very very similar to the AD333 Tour both in feel off the driver and putter, quite a soft feel and sound.

The MTB Red is a four piece ball, can't feel much difference off the driver, feels soft off a wedge, but quite firm off the putter and even I can get the Red to stop quite quickly on the green.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I jumped on the Vice bandwagon. Loved them. After a month I went back to TM. They were just much more consistent.

Thanks, that is the sort of feedback I'm after!

ps....you need to update your sig ;) :D

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I play off 6.

Thanks, I was interested to note that d4s took your post and seemed to ignore others.

I'm off the opinion that it's a mental thing, and given the mental side of things in golf is a huge factor then other people's opinions on balls is largely irrelevant.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks, I was interested to note that d4s took your post and seemed to ignore others.

I'm off the opinion that it's a mental thing, and given the mental side of things in golf is a huge factor then other people's opinions on balls is largely irrelevant.

I think it's more that I gave a reason I didn't like them than my handicap.

Back to the balls, I liked them initially, used the pro+. They were longer off the tee than the TM equivalent but there was a sacrifice in short game. I struggled with getting distance control on long putts and particularly chips. That's where the inconsistency was for me. Some times chips bit and spun too much and sometimes they ran out. Couldn't predict how the ball would roll. This easily could have been me more than the ball but when I returned to TM this wasn't an issue.

Balls are very personal though. I've always said that it doesn't really matter what you use but you should always use the same ball so you know the feel, roll etc.

For me the preference is TM. If that costs me an extra pound per ball then that's fine.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been using proV1/Chrome soft/Nike rbz platinum and I genuinely can't any difference between them, for me it's more personal preference.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spent years playing Pro V1x - have tried Vice and Snell and just didn’t like them , at the start of this year I tried the TP5x and started off well with them but just found they weren’t durable and couldn’t get a feel for them so gone back to 1x again and just can instantly feel comfortable and confident with them.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried a Vice but didn't like it at all, just felt dead off the putter face to me. Best balls I've found so far for me are Tm Burner Soft or Srixon soft feel. Obviously also like a ProV1 but at my ability I can only justify pick ups of them! (I'm off 18)

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I took it that it was the first post to reply with an answer to the question about going 'all in' with a boutique ball rather than just trying them out.

I agree with you that it is a mental thing, certainly for me anyway. For about 18 months I played AD333 Tour but then decided to give Vice Pro+ an extended run and stocked up with quite a few dozen. This was based mainly on the reviews and relative cheapness for a quality ball, but was finally convinced when I played a comp with someone who was an 'ambassador' for Vice and gave me a code for a free sleeve. Although I liked the ball I never really had a decent round playing with them.

I am now alternating between Srixon Soft Feel and the AD333's but will occasionally give the Vice an airing.