Bought any music recently?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't buy much music, and have had a bit of a mixed bag with my recent cds.

Kasabian, Velociraptor: Not their best stuff, and appear to be evolving in a direction I find bland. Singles ok, the rest a bit more mundane.

Cold Play, Xyloto whatever: Dreadful. Again, singles ok (both of them), the rest is junk. At least I won't have to ever buy another one of their cds if this is where they are going.

Foofighters Wasting Light: All round solid album, exactly what you would expect from FF. A good mix of tracks, some heavier than usual, which is nice, and some light stuff too. Brilliant, love it.

Noah and the Whale, Last night on earth: Slightly disappointing. I guess because I know most of the music on here too well, and then it sort of peters out, and I hate weak ending cds. Ok for the most part though.

Noel Gallagers High Flying Birds: Brilliant from start to finish. Unexpectedly so, but this is very good.

Bruce Springsteen, Wreckingball: Not good on first listen. Sounds a bit like the boss plays the pogues. Grows on you rapidly though, and some good stuff on here. One of the bonus tracks needs deleting. Tosh. Not sure what the point of bonus tracks is. Also, big gripe, why is the sleeve so flipping big it doesn't fit on the shelf? It should be cd sized, and it isn't.

Adele, 21: Stole this off a mate. Very weak, apart from the singles. Great voice, totally wasted. She needs to get some help with her writing to make the most of it. Best selling album ever? Sad in so many ways. I prefer Norah Jones.

Any body bought anything good recently?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like you I bought the Foo Fighters Album which I really enjoyed.

Bought the Greatest Hits of REM which is superb as you would expect.

Now looking to pick up some CDs from the bands that I have not heard before who are playing Download so as I can see if there are any that I fancy listening to away from the main stages.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I need to pick up the Springsteen new album, as seeing him in Manchester, and it takes me ages to get into albums.

I've heard 1 track from black country communion and I believe the album is alll in the same vein.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Black Keys el camino, pretty good
Noel Gallagher HFB really good
One DIrection for my daughter,christ I'm glad it was amazon as I'd be less embarrassed asking for a pack of Johnnies and some suppositories

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now looking to pick up some CDs from the bands that I have not heard before who are playing Download so as I can see if there are any that I fancy listening to away from the main stages.

outside of the "headline" acts on the mainstage, not much worth a listen other than Billy Talent and Lamb of God.

Plenty to go around on the smaller stages. I would highly recommend: Slash and Myles Kennedy (Kennedy's vocals are incredible and his work on Slash's new album is awesome), Opeth (prog metal. Amazing - checkout the album "Blackwater Park") and Killswitch Engage (one of my favourite bands of all-time ever).

D

Deleted member 1418

Bought The Black Keys El Camino, which IMO is fantastic. On the strength of that, bought a few of their earlier albums, which are also good.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wrecking Ball by The Boss. Some good stuff and a bit of a retro Bruce sound in places which I like. No "killing me softly moments" yet though. Agree about the sleeve size - plain daft plus I hate the cardboard sleeves.

Also bought 19 and 21 by Adele but not listened to the stuff I don't already know yet so can't judge.

Sold 90 CDs on Ebay recently so have room for more...

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Blues Funeral by Mark Lanegan Band is pretty good as is the new Black Keys album. However, Mrs SS2 is still struggling with a severe addiciton to Michael Buble and I fear divorce or murder may be my only escape from his big-band crooner stylings.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing Adele in my car with 2 year old G'daughter in the back yelling 'no want music'.
F/F a few tracks with the same 'no want music'.

Switched to Radio playing The Hollies and peace reigns.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Loads, sadly it has almost all been Disney for my daughter :mad:

Borrowed Jehovakill and Floored Genius by Julian Cope the other day.

Superb albums and a great reminder of my youth.

Gutted I missed him in Liverpool before Christmas.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
outside of the "headline" acts on the mainstage, not much worth a listen other than Billy Talent and Lamb of God.

Plenty to go around on the smaller stages. I would highly recommend: Slash and Myles Kennedy (Kennedy's vocals are incredible and his work on Slash's new album is awesome), Opeth (prog metal. Amazing - checkout the album "Blackwater Park") and Killswitch Engage (one of my favourite bands of all-time ever).

Saw Slash and Myles at Download 2010 performing a number of Guns and Roses classics then bringing on Lemmy as a guest vocalist. A highlight of the weekend for me. Looks like I need to try some Killswitch Engage, any recommendations on a good album to start with.

D

Deleted member 1740

I can't remember the last album I bought to be honest although I downloaded Noel Gallaghers HFB which is a great album and Mumford and sons which is awesome.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Got the latest Manic's compilation, other than that - not a lot for a while...

RHCPeppers latest didn't light my candle and either I just listen to what I've got or I need to broaden my horizons...

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw Slash and Myles at Download 2010 performing a number of Guns and Roses classics then bringing on Lemmy as a guest vocalist. A highlight of the weekend for me. Looks like I need to try some Killswitch Engage, any recommendations on a good album to start with.

I would start with "The End of Heartache". Their second album and their first with new singer Howard Jones (not that Howard Jones!). I would also check out "alive or just breathing" which was their first album with their original vocalist who is now back with the band.

They are a bit shouty, I warn you now, but their melodies and musicianship is a sight to behold. Especially live. They are as tight as a ducks arse.

"as daylight dies" and "Killswitch engage" are both very good albums also.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just treated myself to Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets by metallica on special edition vinyl - sounds great!!
Aztecs - End of Heartache (KSE) is my favourite and a great starting place.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just treated myself to Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets by metallica on special edition vinyl - sounds great!!
Aztecs - End of Heartache (KSE) is my favourite and a great starting place.

Have you heard The Times of Grace album "Hymn of a broken man"? It's basically Adam D's (guitarist and main songwriter) solo project. Features Jesse Leach on vocals. It's awesome