Vintage music gear

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You see now, that led me to the LP5 🤦🏻 where does this rabbit hole end? 🤣
It doesn’t. I got the LP3 used it for a while but then decided just to use one of my 1210s. Then decided that they needed to be kept as a pair and bought the new 1210G.

But overall, the LP3 is just as good as the LP5. The 5 is just a more substantial looking unit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In the 70s I had an Aiwa amp (when Aiwa made the dedicated stuff) I gave it away after 'upgrading' to a NAD in the 90s, sometimes it is something I regret.

Still got my Marantz CD52SE and that is going nowhere.

I refurbished and sold the record deck as I started selling the record collection pre pandemic (must get round to finishing that job off )
I’ve still got the Special Edition MkII model of this (bought 1992/93 I guess). The CD tray mechanism broke a few years back but it didn‘t cost much at all to have it fixed.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve had a bit of a rethink, I’m considering running the turntable through my Denon amp so I can utilise my current speakers and sub, only thing is it’s at the other end of the room.
Would it be plausible to buy a small pre amp and run a long rca cable to the receiver? It would be an 8m-9m run though 🤔

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
So times have moved on 🤣
Set up now is…

Triangle BR03 speakers
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo turntable with cartridge upgrade to AT 540ML.
Spartan 5 Pre Amp
Wiim Pro Plus streamer
Rega IO getting delivered next week
😬😁
It all happened so fast 😱
Should see me for a few years though 👌

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have this set up, Record Player is new but the CD player I bought from bankrupt stock shop. The unit was pain to buy seems nowhere does stuff like that anymore but got lucky online.

Attachments

• Record 3.jpg
    Record 3.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 7

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have this set up, Record Player is new but the CD player I bought from bankrupt stock shop. The unit was pain to buy seems nowhere does stuff like that anymore but got lucky online.

Ooh that’s nice, yes it’s hard to find media units like that. I’m currently after one for my avr/sky box but they all seem to be the long flat ones you put a tv on rather than like what you have.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It'a Lenco L-3808 Black with an Audio-Technica AT-VM95EN cartridge in it. It's also direct drive rather than belt driven.
Ah, the Lenco version. Depending on what you listen to, the Ortofon red gives a better result than the VM95 (in most cases).

I think the AT120, Lenco, Reloop and Pioneer 500 are all homogenous on the chassis and drive systems.

The Lenco and the AT120 (pre 2021 versions) have problems with the built in Phono Stage, so much so that people took to removing them to eliminate the noise.

Of course, if your amp has a phone stage then it’s a moot point.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah, the Lenco version. Depending on what you listen to, the Ortofon red gives a better result than the VM95 (in most cases).

I think the AT120, Lenco, Reloop and Pioneer 500 are all homogenous on the chassis and drive systems.

The Lenco and the AT120 (pre 2021 versions) have problems with the built in Phono Stage, so much so that people took to removing them to eliminate the noise.

Of course, if your amp has a phone stage then it’s a moot point.
Yeah I don't use teh phono stage, sound is great for the cost especially as the speakers are not high end either. Most people that come round are impressed with the sound.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I don't use teh phono stage, sound is great for the cost especially as the speakers are not high end either. Most people that come round are impressed with the sound.
I have the AT120 for transferring audio to digital. Used to use the connection from the mixer connected to my 1200s but a new motherboard seemed to have a really poor audio in.

So bought the AT120 as a cheap alternative and its impressive for the price. Again, no need for the phono stage and it gives a decent sound with an Ortofon OM10 cart/stylus.

I tried the Ortofon Concord DJs from one of my 1200s but it sounded dull and pretty lifeless.

D

Deleted member 35599

Thorens TD321 and Linn Basik + with Shure 140HE. The best bit of hi fi kit I have bought in my lifetime. It is paired with modern gear. I thought about a Roksan amp but not sure it would improve on my current Marantz. However as I was pondering amplifiers, I started to get pangs for the 80s Technics SA-E pre/power combos.

1708195921995.png