Vintage music gear

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any of you lot into your vintage music gear?
I’ve got an old 70s Pioneer turntable I want to get back out but I fancy an old amp from the same era or close to.
My current amp is a Marantz PM66SE (not the KI version) which sounds great but doesn’t look as nice as some of those old units 🤩
Been looking at Marantz amps from the 70s on EBay, wow talk about hikes up prices 😮
What you got and what would you recommend as a half decent old amp?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh yes…still got my student-days turntable and receiver.

IMG_2060.jpeg

Dunlop Systemdek I turntable is circa 1980…the Rotel RX-402 receiver is circa 1976. The receiver is earlier than the turntable as I bought it at same time as my Pioneer PL-514 turntable (up in loft). The PL-514 and RX-402 were both What Hi-Fi budget best buys of the mid 1970s…indeed they stand up well today.

The Systemdek is most def not budget (I bought it off a hi-fi nut of a mate for £200 in 1980)…splendid vintage turntable and though mine is looking tired (the finish is called Nextel and didn‘t age well) it is still highly thought of.

When I have asked about upgrading the Rotel…the answer is always…Why? It‘s analogue and matches your turntable; you are very used to it’s rich analogue sound and it does it’s job brilliantly (in the 70s the Japanese manufacturers battled fiercely for the amp/receiver market and produced kit of a quality way beyond what they sold it for).

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Although Ave just realised Ave got a very similar system in the garage without the turntable that I may be able to release if it went to a loving home. Al be in the man cave tomorrow so if I think on al post a picture 👍

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Beezerk yer Killing me..
Let me know if it’s any good for you, you can have it.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 16

ThinBullet

Visit site
Feels pretty sad to see the word vintage attributed to something I used as a kid lol.

Vintage to me is war memorial stuff or a 1960s Gibson Les Paul, or 50s strat, not a Grundig Hi-Fi/record player that was also a table hahaha

Back on point:

There's a reason older marshall amps are going for good money, because they were built better, and built to last, with no electronics in them to muddy the audio. I suspect the rise in older audio gear is related to that same thing.

If Dolby Atmos and all this other stuff is so good, why are people returning to older audio equipment?

Last edited:

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Feels pretty sad to see the word vintage attributed to something I used as a kid lol.

Vintage to me is war memorial stuff or a 1960s Gibson Les Paul, or 50s strat, not a Grundig Hi-Fi/record player that was also a table hahaha

Back on point:

There's a reason older marshall amps are going for good money, because they were built better, and built to last, with no electronics in them to muddy the audio. I suspect the rise in older audio gear is related to that same thing.

If Dolby Atmos and all this other stuff is so good, why are people returning to older audio equipment?
Nostalgia trumps advancement for a great many things.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the 70s I had an Aiwa amp (when Aiwa made the dedicated stuff) I gave it away after 'upgrading' to a NAD in the 90s, sometimes it is something I regret.

Still got my Marantz CD52SE and that is going nowhere.

I refurbished and sold the record deck as I started selling the record collection pre pandemic (must get round to finishing that job off )

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Dolby Atmos etc is all about Cinema sound which you do not need for HiFi audio, all you need for that is stereo with well placed speakers. Mind you my Yamaha amp will let me choose that output as an option.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally, I’d go for something like the Cambridge Evo 150 with the wood side panels if aesthetics are the important factor.

The audio is impressive, it gives you streaming and analogue inputs so beat of both worlds.

I’d rather spend on that than a “vintage” amp that you don’t know has had what done to it.

But its all personal preference in the end.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally, I’d go for something like the Cambridge Evo 150 with the wood side panels if aesthetics are the important factor.

The audio is impressive, it gives you streaming and analogue inputs so beat of both worlds.

I’d rather spend on that than a “vintage” amp that you don’t know has had what done to it.

But its all personal preference in the end.

Wow that looks amazing but the price…oof 😮