Boris will let us play golf on March 29

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank god, we are (hopefully) getting an official announcement today and all these pointless speculation threads can stop! Then we can have the endless 'it's ridiculous we can't play golf yet but I can do this, that and the other' posts
And don’t forget - 2 balls are not proper golf, can only play 9 holes, putting is rubbish with flag in, bunkers are terrible, can’t drink on bar afterwards, not social golf, 2 groups ahead joined into a 4 ball, etc. Can’t wait ???

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Well I tell you what...you’d feel a lot angrier if this pandemic had crashed your life or caused the death of a close one, and not simply put a hold on a pastime...some really do need to get real about how dreadful this last year has been for many. Maybe they don’t matter.:mad:

I tend to be quite pragmatic. On one hand I have a family member who passed last week after battling covid since January. 2 kids, 50 yr old and strong as an ox. Gone.

On the other hand I recognise that golf (amongst other outside recreation or sporting activities) can be done with very little extra risk and bring huge benefits to millions of people who are desperate to get back to some kind of normality in a managed and safe way.

Your response is a very emotional one and you have genuine reasons for that I'm sure. IMHO Covid is going to be taking lives for many years to come, like many other dangers in life we need to get on with the reality of managing the risk as individuals.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tend to be quite pragmatic. On one hand I have a family member who passed last week after battling covid since January. 2 kids, 50 yr old and strong as an ox. Gone.

On the other hand I recognise that golf (amongst other outside recreation or sporting activities) can be done with very little extra risk and bring huge benefits to millions of people who are desperate to get back to some kind of normality in a managed and safe way.

Your response is a very emotional one and you have genuine reasons for that I'm sure. IMHO Covid is going to be taking lives for many years to come, like many other dangers in life we need to get on with the reality of managing the risk as individuals.

Sorry for your loss.

I agree Covid is here to stay; many more people will unfortunately die of other illnesses too during the course of the years to come. One thing is always certain - death is everyone's end game. We need to live our lives as best we can, as safe as we can, and get on with our lives as near normal as we can.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
And don’t forget - 2 balls are not proper golf, can only play 9 holes, putting is rubbish with flag in, bunkers are terrible, can’t drink on bar afterwards, not social golf, 2 groups ahead joined into a 4 ball, etc. Can’t wait ???

For those who are stuck working from home and consequently in the same house with the same person 24/7 except for the one walk per day you really underestimate what a relief 9 holes of 2 ball golf would be; 90 minutes of a different face, a different perspective on the issues and a change of scenery had a massive impact on mental health for people in that position.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For those who are stuck working from home and consequently in the same house with the same person 24/7 except for the one walk per day you really underestimate what a relief 9 holes of 2 ball golf would be; 90 minutes of a different face, a different perspective on the issues and a change of scenery had a massive impact on mental health for people in that position.
I'm with you Rich...but it could have been mid to late April...
We have something to look forward to.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't think you are going to get much sympathy on here for that particular issue :)

Really.......
According to a misguided few on here Boris is berated for not allowing golf in England whilst Nicola is also berated for allowing golf in Scotland.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

The LA distance barrier is an obvious benefit in curbing the spread of the virus.
Can be a bit unfair though if your golf club is a couple of miles over the border from where you live.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I'll take March 29 but mainly because schools reopen in two weeks and, personally, that's far bigger. The really great news is that the Easter holidays kick off on March 29 so golf will be relatively futile for lots of parents anyway though it will be great to spend a bit more quality time with the family again.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lighten up, can’t you see I was joking!
And for your information, I have been out of work since the middle of last year, so being stuck at home with no golf has been no picnic for me either. Luckily starting work again next week ?

Yorkhacker

Visit site

I think you have misinterpreted Neilds's post. I think he is saying is that once people have stopped moaning about no golf, they'll start moaning about all the other things they can't do on a golf course

D-S

Visit site
We have an arrangement with a local school and some of their pupils use our course and practice areas - as outdoor school sports will be allowed, will they be allowed to play golf?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really.......
According to a misguided few on here Boris is berated for not allowing golf in England whilst Nicola is also berated for allowing golf in Scotland.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

The LA distance barrier is an obvious benefit in curbing the spread of the virus.
Can be a bit unfair though if your golf club is a couple of miles over the border from where you live.

presumably you can still use a pay and play course in your own area in those circs?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Lighten up, can’t you see I was joking!
And for your information, I have been out of work since the middle of last year, so being stuck at home with no golf has been no picnic for me either. Luckily starting work again next week ?

To be honest, trying to justify the decision on the basis that there might be some evidence to support it when clearly there isn’t, no I can’t see you were joking.