boring golf to break 100

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Ive posted on here recently that my immediate aim is to break 100 (currently lowest at 108, last round was 114) and get my 37 handicap down to something a bit more respectable (29?).

I played yesterday and even though i tried to be conservative I still had too many blow up holes and I can notice repeated mistakes coming in - ie there are two long par 5s that have a fence/road about 100 yards away from the tee. I've been taking a 3 wood off the tee to try and clear this and got over a handful of times - most of the time the fence plays with my head, i'll mis-hit it and end up messing around for 3/4 shots to get it over the fence...with still another 300 yards to go!

I'm thinking it'll be pretty boring, but a simple 7 or 8 iron off the tee to get it in the air and over the fence will give me a much better chance of getting round in a double bogey and eventually break 100.

Has anyone any other tips to try and get it done?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never find it boring to make a good score. :p Whatever it takes. 100 yards from the tee really isn't a huge carry, so hit whatever you find most comfortable and most consistent, whether that's a wood, a hybrid, or a mid-iron. Really up to you and what you have the most confidence in at the moment.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I never find it boring to make a good score. :p Whatever it takes. 100 yards from the tee really isn't a huge carry, so hit whatever you find most comfortable and most consistent, whether that's a wood, a hybrid, or a mid-iron. Really up to you and what you have the most confidence in at the moment.

Yeah its mainly just a mental block - i think the fence combined with the long par 5 makes me think ive got to rip it to get a decent score, but in doing that 90% of the time i end up making a mess of the tee shot and my focus should be on getting it over the fence - then try a 5 iron from there to set up a decent approach shot...easy to type it rather than do it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah its mainly just a mental block - i think the fence combined with the long par 5 makes me think ive got to rip it to get a decent score, but in doing that 90% of the time i end up making a mess of the tee shot and my focus should be on getting it over the fence - then try a 5 iron from there to set up a decent approach shot...easy to type it rather than do it!
Actually, I'd say your focus should just be to relax and make a good swing. Then the fence takes care of itself. This is why I say choose the club you're most confident with, because any decent swing will clear it easily.

It's like the old adage, if I say "don't think about a white elephant" you immediately picture one. If all you're thinking is 'clear the fence' then you're already thinking about the fence and the consequences if you don't. Where if you just picture yourself making a good swing you've got a better chance.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Got an 18 handicapper in our group. Is capable of smashing that, or failing to break 100. I downfall is trying to smash the doodahs out of his driver. When he catches it, it goes miles and straight. He manages this about twice a round! He will put at least 6 in dire trouble.

Last week he broke his driver and used a 5 wood off the tee. You know what is coming....low round of the year, hardly missed a fairway...got a cut too.

Is that boring or effective?

Most par 5s are only three 6 irons! :)

Sekiro

Visit site
I’d say if you are playing to score, play to your strengths so if taking that Iron off the tee is what you need to clear the obstacle and keep your score down then do it....

....but I’m guessing that since it’s a Par 5 you aren’t comfortable with your driver off the tee either? Possibly a couple of lessons focusing on your driver/3 wood might offer some insight in overcoming the issue (tell the pro what the issue is, they might have a drill you can use to get past it both physically and mentally).

Alternatively, my other advice would be to focus on something further up the hole, once you start thinking and bringing the fence into play it’s going to mess with your game, at 100 yards you shouldn’t even be considering it.

Fabia999

Visit site

completely agree with Orikoru, focus on a good swing like you would on any other hole and then the fence won't come into play.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Ive posted on here recently that my immediate aim is to break 100 (currently lowest at 108, last round was 114) and get my 37 handicap down to something a bit more respectable (29?).

I played yesterday and even though i tried to be conservative I still had too many blow up holes and I can notice repeated mistakes coming in - ie there are two long par 5s that have a fence/road about 100 yards away from the tee. I've been taking a 3 wood off the tee to try and clear this and got over a handful of times - most of the time the fence plays with my head, i'll mis-hit it and end up messing around for 3/4 shots to get it over the fence...with still another 300 yards to go!

I'm thinking it'll be pretty boring, but a simple 7 or 8 iron off the tee to get it in the air and over the fence will give me a much better chance of getting round in a double bogey and eventually break 100.

Has anyone any other tips to try and get it done?

Tips.
Make a conservative club choice, but make a positive swing. i.e. just because you are just laying up 130 yards you shouldn't just make a wipey, slow swing. Still try and play a solid shot and swing through the ball. A short backswing and positive turn towards the target will hopefully work to get the ball in play without hitting a mile offline or mishitting.

Really really practice your wedges. If you are playing conservative and and laying up on a lot of holes, you are going to have to be 'decent' from 50 to 100 yards. you don't have to be deadly, just get it on the green and 2 putt. You need to have a confidence in this area of the game that is greater than other aspects of your game. So spend some time hitting full and three quarter wedges, turning through the shot, to plop the ball onto a green.

Also have a mid iron that is your 'lay-up' club. So if you feel confident with your 8 iron... play it as the 2nd shot on almost every hole. Play to the widest part of the fairway. If you hit it 130 yards, then you know that a long approach of 250 yards becomes pretty much 2 x 8 iron, or an 8 and a 9.

Personally think it is very difficult to get into a game without getting a Driver or 3 wood off the tee. So work out which holes you can play these clubs at and still have room to miss. And when you get into trouble, you can hopefully still play a conservative shot out and lay-up into a position where you can get down in 3 from (or 4 on a longer hole).

Conservative golf is one thing, but you make a score by working out where you can take a shot on and where there is less risk. Playing lay-up golf should really help your irons as you are playing them in low tariff situations to wide fairways, as opposed to well bunkered greens, but it's unrealistic to think you won't make doubles & trebles, so at least give yourself a chance of a par or two.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Goes back to the old adage of "no pictures on the scorecard". Do what you need to do to keep the ball in play and avoid the big numbers as much as possible. If the par 5's and the fence are an issue but you are vaguely competent with a driver/3 wood elsewhere it's purely mental. Focus on a smooth swing and picture the ball clearing the fence easily

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers folks. i usually have about 3 or 4 blowout holes (where 8/9/10s are scored) and that kills me everytime, its usually the two par 5s with the fence and then it could be any other hole where its my tee shot that fails me...i dont hit it OOB or lose the ball, i just duff it and by the time i get on the fairway im already at 3.

Need a consistent, easy hitter 150 yards off the tee and I think that could be my irons rather than 3 wood or driver at the minute

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For any shot from wherever I am...I follow the guidance of Tommy Armour in his 1954 book (How to Play your Best Golf, All of the Time)...his two practical principles

Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well, and
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.

You've got to apply BOTH for every shot - and no particular order.

By applying these principles I find that - pretty much - no matter where I am on the course, I have a good chance of having 2 putts (or a short chip and a putt) for, at worst, a nett bogey - most of the time. And 8s, 9s and 10s can usually be avoided.

So for instance - your good tee shot on a short par 4 is in not too deep rough just 5yds off the fairway. Looks like ball sitting well and rough not too dense, Nothing in the way for you to go straight for the green but maybe 50yd carry over the rough. And there is a greenside bunker to clear. You only have to hit the ball 75yds. Hmm. If you just chop it out sideways into the middle of the fairway with a wedge so you have a clear 'bunker and rough-free' 75yd shot to the green why not just do that. You know you can get it out. There's no distance to travel to the fairway and then straightforward and easy next shot. Chip on and a putt for a 4 - missed - never mind - tap in 5 nett 4.

OR else. You get a shot. You don't want to 'waste' it. Par possibility - nett birdie - just get it on the green. Trying to hard to get the ball over the greenside bunker you smother your shot and it ploughs into the rough ahead of you. You're now a bit closer to the green but the shot's the same as the one you just messed up. You catch it heavy and it lands in the bunker. Problem now. Trying to be 'nice' out of the bunker - you don't want to go long - you leave it in. Next time you get out but go long (you over compensated). Chip and 2 putts later - an 8 - nett 7. :( Oh why didn't I just...

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you need to rethink what is boring.
Golf is about how many not how.
Is it exiting scoring 110?
Do what you need to do to score your best while working on making your all round game better.
The better you score the more you will enjoy it ,
Confidence is everything in golf and if you play conservative golf you won’t even notice the fence.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our 16th is a dog leg par 5 with a raised footpath around 150 from the green which needs hitting over, it’s about 4-5 feet high. If I hit a good drive I’ll be close enough to take the path on with a 7/8 iron and then a wedge to the green. If I don’t hit a great drive which either doesn’t get past the dogleg or just isn’t far enough up, I’ll reverse the clubs, ie, I’ll lay up short of the path with a wedge and then have an 8i to the green. When I first started playing the course I was taking the path on in that scenario and most of the time tried to hit it too hard and either topped it or sliced it into the trees. Much less stressful this new way and reduces the risk of daft shots. I don’t view it as boring golf at all, just dealing with each situation as it comes.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I recently hit my 2 best scores - A gross 90 and then a gross 39(!) on the local 9 hole course.

Both of these came with me being sensible. Off the tee - Hit the fairway. That meant almost exclusively 5/6 iron off the tee, occasionally a hybrid. Didn't even look at driver or 3 wood. You then get to the ball, which most of the time was middle of the fairway, or first cut at worst and feel great. How long do I have to go? I decided before the round that if I had over 140 to the green I was going to lay up. Even at 145, which is a solid 8 iron for me. The result? The 90, I hit nothing worse than a double all the way round, the 39 I had 6 pars in 9 holes.

Was it 'boring'? If you call not going for the big sticks and letting rip then yes, it was. But both times I walked off the course feeling brilliant.

Yes, the conditions over summer with rock hard fairways that run for days help, but it was also really good practice in drilling in my irons. If it makes it easier for you, don't take clubs to the course. leave your driver, 3 wood etc at home. That way you can't even be tempted.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A 520 yard par 5 on one of my old courses had a 230 carry over a ditch guarded by two large trees either side of the fairways.
There was a large water hazzard short of the green so hitting the green in two nearly always involved a following wing and fast conditions.
I would watch good players take on the carry with a driver, then lay up short of the hazzard
In normal conditions I would hit 3 iron short then 4 iron the 8/9 iron.
Nearly always got a par occasional birdie. Seldom bogey +

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, the conditions over summer with rock hard fairways that run for days help, but it was also really good practice in drilling in my irons.

I think this is really key. You are getting great practice of hitting irons, on a golf course in a scoring situation (as opposed to on a range).

If you play 'conventional' golf - most high handicappers would probably find they are playing Driver > 3 wood or Driver > Hybrid on 15 or 16 holes. In reality you might hardly ever play a full iron shot, and when you do it's to a smaller, well guarded target.

You probably feel under pressure on most shots with longer clubs as you know a miss could be disastrous and be a lost ball or 5 minutes rooting around in the trees / hay.

By playing conservative, you are going to cut down the lost balls massively, aiding enjoyment, but get loads of practice at mid and short irons, playing to big targets (such as fairways) and your wedges might be from 70 or 100 yards, but to a par 4 sized green, as opposed to a tiny par 3.

Clearly you are limiting your scoring potential, but its a great way to build confidence and in time you can add in the longer clubs on the correct holes.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Clearly you are limiting your scoring potential, but its a great way to build confidence and in time you can add in the longer clubs on the correct holes.

And I'll pick one line from your post!

This, specifically the last part is it for me. Add longer clubs on the right holes. There are a number of courses that I play where I know I can hit my driver on certain holes. I know even my most wayward attempt will leave me with a decent option for a 2nd shot. I'll often hit hybrid too, if I know I have room.

But a good score, be it on a single hole or a whole course, is a lot easier when you're 175 down the middle of the fairway than 230 away but in the trees... I know which one I find more fun!