boring golf to break 100

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd have 2 approaches for this I think, as it's handicap dependent.

If the fence is 100 yards away, hit an 8i off the tee or your favorite club. Mishit is likely short and in play, good shot is over it.

or

Off 37, I'm still learning and I don't need necessarily to score on this hole, write it off and just swing the driver. The hole has got in your head so just be aggressive!

D

Deleted member 23344

Play the shot that has the best risk reward ratio. If an iron gets over the fence and is in play (say) 80% of the time, but the driver only works (say) 40% of the time, then use the iron. The extra distance that the driver achieves is simply not worth the extra shots incurred when it doesn’t. Getting your handicap down as a high handicapper (like me!) is primarily about course management. For example, that means selecting the shot with the best chance of success (and the least potential negative if it doesn’t succeed) and not being “gung ho” when in trouble (i.e. just take your medicine and do what is necessary to get the ball back in play). Oh yes, and not trying to knock the cover off the ball when swinging. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I know this, but its frustrating walking off wiht a 114 when i know so many of those shots were caused by my lack of thinking and could be a decent bit lower
Going out for a hit and blasting it is entirely different to trying to get a score.

Way I did it at the start of the year (when I'd played two rounds in the previous two years) was to work back from the hole 130 yards - Even without playing much I was reasonably confident of getting on a green from that distance - then I worked out if I could get there off the tee, on some holes I could other I couldn't - If I couldn't I then worked out the safest way to get inside 130 in two shots (or three if needed). That 130 yards could be 100 yards for you or 150 yards - it's the distance you think you can get on or by the green.

You only get brownie points for hitting a driver as hard as you can when you're in a p**sing contest with someone (or on here) - find what you can hit consistently (and keep in play) and hit that until you are inside a distance that's comfortable.

So on a par five that might be four 7 irons - after that it's short game and putting.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Boring golf to break 100 is easy.

Never take any club longer than about 5 or 6 iron with you. With that you should be able to reach (at worst) par 3s in 2 shots , 4s in no more than 3 shots and and pars 5 in 4 shots you should then expect to putt for 36 putts in a round single putts cancelling out 3 putts.

All this adds up to a round of 18 over par which leaves quite a bit of leeway to break 100 on a par 72 course.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Boring golf to break 100 is easy.

Never take any club longer than about 5 or 6 iron with you. With that you should be able to reach (at worst) par 3s in 2 shots , 4s in no more than 3 shots and and pars 5 in 4 shots you should then expect to putt for 36 putts in a round single putts cancelling out 3 putts.

All this adds up to a round of 18 over par which leaves quite a bit of leeway to break 100 on a par 72 course.

Solid Solid advice that nobody takes with us all watching the Pros (mainly) smash it 300 + yards then find the ball off line or otherwise forgetting they have amazing short games that keep them in the hunt for birdie/ par at worse

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I broke 100 (of the yellows) by messing up the 1st 2 holes and acknowledging that it wasn’t the day and not thinking about it. Tallying up I got 93 at the end. I did similar ones more shooting 98.

When going for it I never got under 100 yet. Next comp on a Thursday, going for it ;-)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not specifically to break 100 but a big lesson in course management that paid dividends. Playing the Forest of Arden in the GM Centenary Final I realised that a lot of the par 4's were close to or over 400 yards and so it would take two perfectly struck shots for me to get on or close but a bad shot would put me in a load of trouble. I simply refused to take those on and left myself 120-100 each time. Pitch on and two putt, use the shot and take the two points. Stick it close and make the putt and happy days. Worked a treat and was going great. Got to a hole near the end and hit a good drive and left about 180 yards. I was tempted as I was swinging well. Took a wedge. Wedge on, and holed the putt.

There are times when being conservative can be equally as destructive. I have also been guilty of having a great score and then instead of swinging even more freely, I tried to steer the ball and make sure it was in play which was a recipe for disaster. I think if you are trying to break 100 (or 90) then you need an element of playing safe and also knowing when it is safe to attack and be bold