Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Bob Mortimer, The Satsuma Complex. It's similar to Richard Osman books and you can almost hear Bob Mortimer speaking the lines. It is very him. It isn't going to win prizes but it is a very easy way to pass the time.
His autobiography, And Away, is a really good read. Very similar tone to the Gone Fishing show. Lovely.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I did it the other way around. Saw the TV series and then decided to read the books. Inevitably I see the form of the characters as per the TV series but that's okay. At least I can't get grumpy about them being different to how I visualised them ?.

The one I'm struggling with so far is Jerry Edgar, I'm 4 books in. I liked him in the TV show but in the books he isn't overly likeable so far. Maybe they softened him in the TV show, maybe the actor is too nice and I warm to him when I shouldn't?

Lots of characters missing so far. I'm interested to see if they appear in the books at some point or whether they were purely created for the show.
Don't forget they also put two or three books together, so, conversely, some characters don't appear in the show because there's not the arc for them. I really enjoyed both the books and the show. I don't care that Titus Welliver didn't have a moustache! ?

D

Deleted member 1147

The IPCRESS file - great stuff, and much better than the film...and I love the film

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't forget they also put two or three books together, so, conversely, some characters don't appear in the show because there's not the arc for them. I really enjoyed both the books and the show. I don't care that Titus Welliver didn't have a moustache! ?
That's interesting, I didn't realise that.

Had to laugh about the tash. Some fans get so protective about adaptations, Lord of the Rings, Dune, The Witcher, Bosch etc. They are allowed some licence, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

I really enjoyed the Bosch series, I'm enjoying the books just as much now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just picked up The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake for £3. It’s now on the shelf - will have to finish Anna Karenina before decided what next. TGT it may be, though I think I’ll go for something shorter and light such as the next in the 44 Scotland Street series.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Stanley Tucci - Taste. Autobiographical with a lot of emphasis on food and a few recipes thrown in. An odd sort of book, but an enjoyable read, particularly if you've been watching his BBC2 series.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just re-read 1984, and am now on Treasure Island... classic boy's own adventure

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have just read a really good book that I'm sure will be made into a great film . It's by James Rollings called deep fathom , non stop action and a decent plot to keep you guessing.
Highly recommended.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This Is Going To Hurt. Adam Kay

The funniest, and quite sad, book I've read in ages. Beware getting admitted into a hospital at a weekend. I've got a signed copy too!!!

D

Deleted member 1147

After Treasure Island you could also read The Coral Island by R.M.Ballantine. Similar sort of boys own adventure stuff…I love it. And also of that nature A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes is also a good read
Currently reading A Tale of Two Cities. But only an hour or so to go.
Will look into those you’ve mentioned, thanks
Merry Christmas

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
That's interesting, I didn't realise that.

Had to laugh about the tash. Some fans get so protective about adaptations, Lord of the Rings, Dune, The Witcher, Bosch etc. They are allowed some licence, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

I really enjoyed the Bosch series, I'm enjoying the books just as much now.

The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit adaptions although cinematically brilliant aren't brilliant if you love the books as much as I do!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit adaptions although cinematically brilliant aren't brilliant if you love the books as much as I do!
That's absolutely fine. The films may well have inspired many to read the books though, that's no bad thing.

Preferring the books is very standard, I'm the same. I just try to enjoy TV and film adaptations as well. It can stretch the pleasure.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Watched Lady Chatterley’s Lover (2022) last night - book is supposed to be better than any of the adaptations - so might give it a read…?

The film adaptations of The LotR were fine, those of The Hobbit were way too stretched out and full of padding.