Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still reading the Boris book. I don't think it well written. I'm having read and reread passages of text over and over. Maybe I'm a bear of little brain. In other news, I've sorted my book shelves out and found ten books I've still to read. Won't be too bad now I'm retired and this weather keeps up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
@Reemul I read a lot, but not quite in your league. We have a great county library system up here. Online catalogue, order the book, get it sent to the library of your choice. I'll do 1-2 books a week on average.

I don't re-read books so having an extensive library at home wouldn't be for me. Always looks calming though, a library room.
I have a lot of books though not in @reemul’s league, and have built up too big a pile of books I have read and might read. And so I am doing a cull.

I pick up a book and if I feel good and it stirs +ve thoughts and emotions (usually from times long past) then I put it aside as a ‘probably keep’. Otherwise it goes to church or Oxfam. And that includes many books I’ve picked up as ‘interesting’ but still have not read. They go. And a key criteria for a final decision is it goes even if it stirs the emotions a bit but I could pick it up fairly easily from our local superb Oxfam bookshop.

And reading at the moment…The Screwtape Letters by C S Lewis and When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold Kushner.

ETA…those of us struggling with pain and difficulty personally or with that being carried by others may find the Kushner book useful.

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Started reading the John Milton series by Mark Dawson, onto the 3rd book and good so far.

Might be one for you disillusioned Reacher fans.
Done that a while back. Not sure if I am up to date or not.

Currently catching up on the Gray Man series.
Since I am commuting by bike I just don’t get through them as I used to ;-)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started reading the John Milton series by Mark Dawson, onto the 3rd book and good so far.

Might be one for you disillusioned Reacher fans.
Read the series a few months ago. First book was sort of ok, but the series got tiresome very quickly. But sadly I'm the sort who can't leave a series unfinished. Now reading the Lance Spector series (by Saul Herzog) - even worse and am even more desperate for the series to end ...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
The women who wouldn’t wheesht…

A fascinating account of the fight for women’s rights in Scotland.

Gobsmacking stuff really but probably can’t go into too much detail here as it’s pretty political, (although it did unite women from all political parties)

Once I’ve finished with it I will lend it on because it’s important.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dead Lions, Mick Herron. It's the second in the Slow Horses series. Very well written, the characters are beautifully drawn out. If you have watched the TV series, well worth a read.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dead Lions, Mick Herron. It's the second in the Slow Horses series. Very well written, the characters are beautifully drawn out. If you have watched the TV series, well worth a read.
Make sure read them in sequence.
He's also got a newish one out - The Secret Hours (not connected to Slough House).

RichA

Visit site
Even if you've read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Millennium trilogy, the audiobooks are well worth a listen if you do long car journeys or commute. I'm currently listening to the third part. They are excellently read and each about 24 hours long, so great value for an Audible credit.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Caledonian Road - Andrew O’Hagen

Really well written novel set in a post Brexit post Covid London, with a wide range of characters from landed gentry and oligarchs to drug dealers and people smugglers. The main guy is from a Glasgow council estate who is now a famous art critic going through a midlife crisis.

It’s a bit like Dickens crossed with The Bonfire of The Vanities. A cracking read, even if (or maybe because) none of the characters are particularly likeable.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Just finished He who fights with MOnstaers book 1 -11, excellent series.

Now reading a series called Cradle by Will Wright, on book 11 of 12.

Then I am really going for it with a new series called My Vampire Ssystem which has 70 books in the series, hopefully keep me going for a few weeks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just finished He who fights with MOnstaers book 1 -11, excellent series.

Now reading a series called Cradle by Will Wright, on book 11 of 12.

Then I am really going for it with a new series called My Vampire Ssystem which has 70 books in the series, hopefully keep me going for a few weeks
I know you pile through books, can't remember if I've mentioned these before. JD Kirk, Scottish detective author, was recommended to me by someone on here. He has done a few series, DCI Jack Logan, my favourite, and Robert Hoon. Read the Logan ones first, you'll understand why by about book 6.

Great books to read, good characters and the funniest swearing I've ever read. The shear invention of the words is genius 😂

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just finished Top Girl and A Million Little Pieces by James Fray which took me a while to get into with the way it's written but it's actually really interesting if not similar to other addiction style books

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Story of God by (Baron) Robert Winston. A very interesting read by the renowned (medical) scientist about the place of science and ‘the Divine Idea’ in the development and practices of humankind over the millennia from pre-history, and discusses belief in God in a scientific age.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Wrong Hands, Mark Billingham. No, not a Tom Thorne, one of his new DI Miller books. Very good, funny, sharp. This is the second in the series, hopefully he writes more.

If you like Billingham, read this.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Finished Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham early in the week. More a nostalgia thing really as it was one of my O-Level books xx years ago. Still enjoy it but it’s not going to blow you away. Similarly, I quite like picking up the odd Neville Shute book now and again. They won’t tax you, and their style is clearly dated now but they’re easy reading.

Finished The Guardians by John Grisham a few days back. Probably closer to being back to his best, published in 2019, after a few lacklustre books.

Now part way through A Sparrow Falls by Wilbur Smith. It’s probably my 6th-ish reading of the trilogy that starts with When the Lion Feeds. Smith has written countless books, many centred on Africa, including prequels to the Courtney family history, some of which you can’t but down till the wee small hours. If you only pick up one Smith book, make it When the Lion feeds.