Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Wolf

Visit site
Covey gets a bit samey as you work your way through it. Feels like he’s padding it out. If you’re into that sort of stuff, “working with emotional intelligence” by Daniel Goldblum(?). Not sure on the surname but it’s Gold-something.
You're not wrong there.. been doing it work a course that work want the so called top 10% of their staff to do...
Nothing earth shattering or mind blowing, really hard read at points as well,.just trying to speed read most of it and take the important bits from it...

Not read any by Eddings. Will add them to the list. Have you tried Terry Brooks, the "Shannara" series?

Great shout, have read a few of these and they've also done a fairly decent tv adaptation of it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Kingdom of Scotland: A Short History by Agnes Mure MacKenzie

Previous read was Figures in a Landscape by Barry England - good but a bit odd (bit like the early 1970s film of it)

Last edited:

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I'm reading "Naked Empire" by terry goodkind. It's real throwaway swords and sorcery stuff in one of those endless series of books. I read the first one years ago and pick up the next in the series from time to time - I think this is something like the 9th one.

I'd stop,there if I where you I read up to the eleventh book, which was supposed to be the last one.
All a bit same after the eight book very preachy.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
A few authors for fantasy lovers,

Peter v Brett - Demon Series
Anthony Ryan - Ravens Sorrow and Draconis Memoria
David Eddings - Elenium and Tamuli are the only series I've read and love them.
Trudi Canavan - Black Magician
Robin Hobb - Farseer

https://www.fantasticfiction.com Is a great site, can see your favourite authors and everything they've written and recommends similar authors!

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
James Lee Burke - Deep South mainly cop stories, full of atmosphere.
Don Winslow - Gritty drug tales.
Like very much Grisham, Wilbur Smith seems to have gone down hill with time. The Reacher series got samey. Bryson has made me spit out my coffee/beer /whisky with mirth with mixed reactions from my fellow passengers.
William Boyd - particular favourite - Any Human Heart

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just finished ...

Tombland - the latest in the Shardlake series by C J Sansom (historical fiction 15th century)
The Falcon of Sparta - latest by Conn Iggulden (historical fiction 4th century BC )
War of the Wolf - latest in Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell (historical fiction 10th century)
All up to the usual high standards of the respective authors.

Also part way through biographies of Alan Turing and Pol Pot. (If they'd met, l doubt they'd have got on well :) )

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Read again The Greatest Comeback,from genocide to football glory, by David Bolchover.

It’s the story of Bela Guttmann a man who survived the holocaust and went on to manage Benfica to two European Cups.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Just finished the Harry Potter books again

Now starting the Belgariad by David Eddings again - if anyone is into Fantasy books and Lotr then David Eddings for me is the King of Fantasy novels

Loved the Belgariad, the mallorean, elenium and tamuli when I was younger. Read the whole thing a few times. Not sure how I'd get on with it now.

If you want a seriously good read check out the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I don't think I've read anything better in that genre, other than LOTR.
I'm currently trying to finish the wheel of time by Robert Jordan after twenty years of reading and it's a bit of a slog at times.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sir Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Chris Brookmyre, David Baldacci, Carl Hiaasen, Clive Cussler, Kathy Reichs, Harlen Coben, Lee Child, CJ Box, Robert B Parker, Bob Rotella, John Feinstein, Ben Aaronovitch, Douglas Adams, George Orwell, Harlan Ellison and on and on. Not unusual to be reading a couple of real books and a couple on the Kindle.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've got a few on the go at the moment. I start one, go away from it for a while, start another, and then return to an old one.
Currently I've got:
On the Road - Keroac
Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Never Let Me Go - Ishiguro

my next one will be the Fox by Forsyth (hopefully a B'day prezzie)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got John Feinstein's The Majors sitting waiting for me to pick it up. But it will have to wait.

Meanwhile I have reached the mid-late 14th Century and Robert II - though he's a bit useless and not at all like his grandfather - his dad was pretty useless also...

it's an enjoyable read but trying to keep track of who's-who and the line of succession clear in my head is not easy.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have got back into Dan Brown, just finished Digital Fortress which was right up my street, currently reading his new one Origin.

Deception point i thought was excellent.

Also reading Mark Dawsons set, The Cleaner, Saint Death and the Driver. onto the second one. so far so good!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Is deception point the one with the meteor?
I think his non Langdon books are the better ones.

Also like John Milton. He is the British Jack Reacher