Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have music, films, TV series.....so why not books as well :)

I am currently working my way through a few Bill Bryson books. For those not familiar, he is a travel writer who writes about his varies travels around the world in his own unique style. Genuinely funny and entertaining, they quite literally have me laughing out loud in places.

Highly recommended! :thup:

I’ve read all of his books and enjoyed every one of them.

While on holiday recently I read the Dan Jones book about the history of the knights Templar.

Another good read is desert sniper

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dragged out one of my favourite books this week. I must have read it half a dozen times in the last 40 years. "When the lion feeds," by Wilbur Smith. It spawned two other books in "The sound of thunder," and "When a sparrow falls."

Wilbur Smith then wrote several other series around the Courtney family, prequels to the original book. But to me, the first 3 are classics.

I've only read his "Egyptian" ones, Bri and loved the first 3 (River god etc). What was meant to be the final one was shockingly bad, so much so that I think he didnt want to end on that note so did another one - that was also pretty poor.

Whenever I pick up his other ones though, they dont seem like my bag - should I?

I read Ken Follett's trilogy a few years ago, which was spectacularly good:-

1. Fall of Giants,
  2. Winter of the World
  3. Edge of Eternity
It follows a few families - British, German, Austrian, Russian (then American) from before the Russian revolution through to the Kennedy assassination and they are all tied to the events of the times. Brilliant series. Read one, you'll definitely read the others.

Ive got/getting the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness books on France and Belgium to help decide where to go on Holiday in Eastern France and Belgium next year (week in each). Amongst other things want to go to Verdun, battle of Waterloo, Troyes, Reims cathedral, Bruges, Hertogenbosch (Netherlands) amongst others.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Just re-reading Stepehn Covey 7 Habits of Highly effective people. More so forms work thing, but once I'm through it going to finish George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series I'm half way through the collection now.

D

Deleted member 1418

I must look for that one. I've read just about all of Grisham's books but don't think I've seen that one.

It's his latest one I think - must've pre-ordered it as it appeared on my Kindle in the week!! Great read so far 👍

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just re-reading Stepehn Covey 7 Habits of Highly effective people. More so forms work thing, but once I'm through it going to finish George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series I'm half way through the collection now.

Covey gets a bit samey as you work your way through it. Feels like he’s padding it out. If you’re into that sort of stuff, “working with emotional intelligence” by Daniel Goldblum(?). Not sure on the surname but it’s Gold-something.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We have music, films, TV series.....so why not books as well :)

I am currently working my way through a few Bill Bryson books. For those not familiar, he is a travel writer who writes about his varies travels around the world in his own unique style. Genuinely funny and entertaining, they quite literally have me laughing out loud in places.

Highly recommended! :thup:

A Walk in the Woods is a favourite of mine.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just finished the Harry Potter books again

Now starting the Belgariad by David Eddings again - if anyone is into Fantasy books and Lotr then David Eddings for me is the King of Fantasy novels

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just finished the Harry Potter books again

Now starting the Belgariad by David Eddings again - if anyone is into Fantasy books and Lotr then David Eddings for me is the King of Fantasy novels

Not read any by Eddings. Will add them to the list. Have you tried Terry Brooks, the "Shannara" series?

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Beyond a boundary by C.L.R. James from 1963 but found it in the building society charity box. Cricket based. James came over to UK to be cricket correspondent of the Manchester Guardian in 1933 at the invitation of Learie Constantine to help with his biography but life became more than writing and cricket - West Indian politics and left wing thought.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not read any by Eddings. Will add them to the list. Have you tried Terry Brooks, the "Shannara" series?

I haven’t but will have a look as I need something new to go 👍

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Carl Hiaassen is my favourite author, but unfortunately isn’t very prolific in terms of output so I keep having to wait 2 years for every new release of his.

I’ve read some good novels recently. ‘Dead Simple’ by Peter James was really enjoyable.

At the beginning of the year I read “Swan Song” by Robert McCammon, which was quite simply the most amazing fiction novel I’ve read in my life. Nothing else has come remotely close. Highly, highly recommended.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Carl Hiaassen is my favourite author, but unfortunately isn’t very prolific in terms of output so I keep having to wait 2 years for every new release of his.

I’ve read some good novels recently. ‘Dead Simple’ by Peter James was really enjoyable.

At the beginning of the year I read “Swan Song” by Robert McCammon, which was quite simply the most amazing fiction novel I’ve read in my life. Nothing else has come remotely close. Highly, highly recommended.

theres about 15 more in the Roy Grace series after that one, most are very good (albeit do become a little samey in parts, but there are some lesser plots that run across the whole series)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just finished Channel Shore by Tom Fort, a travel book on Fort's journey along the Channel coast.

Now reading Henry Blofeld's autobiography.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Atomic Habits by James Clear, don’t often read these sort of books but trying to make a few lifestyle changes so hoping to get some guidance and inspiration 😀