Booking tee slots to ensure maximum capacity

Can you see who has booked a tee time and can you book to play with them?

• Total voters

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have a couple of guys who uesd to play with us, both have health issues and have dec to juts play on there own at the moment, luckily our system allows for this. they tend to play later so not stopping a 4 ball fro playing

sunshine

Visit site
Now you see I don't agree, My son (13) and I will be playing together, we live together. Why the hell do we want to play with 2 strangers we don't know and have no idea if they are the sort to follow the Covid rules or absolute morons who do not give a crap about them and are out and about when they shouldn't be and put us at risk. My wife is already a big risk having holes in her lung, so instead of us having a great way to play safely as well as spending £1,000 on membership we have to not take any chances and not play, not really fair on us. We should be limiting the risk rather than increasing it, better they limit those that can play in the week to leave the weekends alone and those that can only play weekends get the chances.

We will be back in lockdown and courses closed before you know it.

Although I sympathise with your fears, let's put this into context:
- There's as much risk in the golf club car park as there is out on the course. I don't suppose you are demanding your private own car park.
- I'm sure you could inform your playing partners that your wife is shielding and you need to be extra cautious. It's easy to stay 2m apart on a golf course, and remind your group.
- Your son is going to school where he is exposed to a much higher risk every day.

Ultimately you're saying that other people should miss out because you are special. Not really fair is it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Alernatively you could stop pretending there's an issue and tell your 2 playing partners on the tee that you're playing a match.

Or, even better still, you like messaging playing partners in advance, so why not do that and tell them you're playing a match?
Yes we would do that - but knowing the culture (expectation of friendly 4bbb matches in a four ball) at my club it would be better were a pair joining us to know in advance that we'd be playing a match. With pressure on tee times they might not be able to cancel from our tee time and get another. That's all.

So there is no issue for me...I'm not bothered about playing a match with another pair playing alongside - I'm simply thinking of the other two members playing with us as it may well be their only golf of the week.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Our club traditionally didn't have a booking system. Just turn up and wait on the 1st tee / ball in chute arrangement. Which worked. Until last year, we got a lot of new members from a nearby club and they were all used to a booking system. A few Saturdays with no main competition on, there were dozens waiting about trying to get onto the tee for most of the morning.

Especially crazy if you were bringing guests on.

This year, the booking system has been forced on us. And I feel it's worked. It's far better at ensuring good use of the 1st tee and encouraging singles to join up with other groups (which I've done and also had singles joining my group).

There's still a number of people not happy as they don't get the times they want every week and during the winter it has been just as bad given shortage of daylight hours.

Personally I have probably played more golf because you book in advance you know you're teeing off at 3:50, so you can head to the course and know that you won't have to mill about for 15 or 20 minutes.

Ultimately if you are well organised, prepared to play with people you don't know and also are in good terms / communication with other members - you can probably get as many games as you want.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a reserve list would work best.

You miss the fastest finger and you go onto a reserve list for say 1 hour slots... 0900 to 0950. Likely a lot of over bookings are cancelled soon after if people in the same group are going for multiple slots.

Those who cancel on the day get a warning, then bumped from advance bookings for the following week.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well it's going to be interesting this evening as our online tee booking opens at 8pm for bookings for the whole of the coming 7 days...now what chance me getting a tee time sometime on Sunday...hmmm...thinking that if I don't get on by 8:03pm I've no chance...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Happy days, Got two range sessions booked for Thursday and Friday to get back in the swing and try and find some timing. Tempted to book nine holes on Wednesday for Friday after all. Only put off by the freezing cold temperature

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well it's going to be interesting this evening as our online tee booking opens at 8pm for bookings for the whole of the coming 7 days...now what chance me getting a tee time sometime on Sunday...hmmm...thinking that if I don't get on by 8:03pm I've no chance...

Why, does everyone usually want to play on Sunday? Don't see why it should be a problem. It's impossible for each person to book 7 slots at the same time.

D

Deleted member 3432

Happy days, Got two range sessions booked for Thursday and Friday to get back in the swing and try and find some timing. Tempted to book nine holes on Wednesday for Friday after all. Only put off by the freezing cold temperature
How cold?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Now you see I don't agree, My son (13) and I will be playing together, we live together. Why the hell do we want to play with 2 strangers we don't know and have no idea if they are the sort to follow the Covid rules or absolute morons who do not give a crap about them and are out and about when they shouldn't be and put us at risk. My wife is already a big risk having holes in her lung, so instead of us having a great way to play safely as well as spending £1,000 on membership we have to not take any chances and not play, not really fair on us. We should be limiting the risk rather than increasing it, better they limit those that can play in the week to leave the weekends alone and those that can only play weekends get the chances.

We will be back in lockdown and courses closed before you know it.

Personally think it is extremely unlikely you would be taking any risk playing golf outdoors with a couple of other golfers and maintaining distance.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have made the call to move to 8 min tee times as our tee sheets are filling up quickly

Mandofred

Visit site
The chance of catching things from other people while playing golf......chance in hel*. Don't kiss your playing partners (if not partner....as in wife)....don't shake hands.....etc etc etc Keep a few feet between you at all times......simple. If you are seriously worried about getting sick just being on the same fairway/green....you shouldn't be playing golf at all since it is just too much of a risk in your opinion.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I got a slot Sunday morning for my match (well my opponent grabbed it) and fortunately another match was able to grab the other two slots in our tee time for their match. So two matches in the one tee time. Good use of the four ball tee time :)

Also - it seems like club's plan worked pretty well in that last night and until 8pm tonight no individual could book (or be booked into) more than one round in the coming seven days - bookings will be opened up this evening for a member to make multiple bookings. Plus as we don't allow 'anonymous', nobody can be hiding behind that subterfuge...:) As a result there are still a few free slots Saturday and Sunday - I fully expect that these will be grabbed this evening.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems the expected upsurge hasn't manifested and still slots for a game all the way to Friday. Don't think it'll be the same for tomorrow when Saturday's times come out. Got a range of times that'll work for me but not going to bun fight if these aren't available. A lot of people seem to be forming cliques and looking to book in their groups which I get, especially as a lot don't work and so are playing midweek too

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just checked Saturday and full other than half doz tee times before 12:40 with one slot free. Though I note that at 12:30 I could alternatively book in to make up a two-ball with our 16yr old +5 HI rising star of a lass...?

Doodle

Visit site
Initially we were restricted to 2x 18 holes per week.
They scrapped that yesterday as the booking system didn't get massively overloaded.
We can now play as many times as we like.
I am glad that my 1st game back today will be in dry conditions & no Frost, so on full greens.
Happy days.