Bonkers Golf Holes

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a par3 at newtonstewart of about 170 yards severly downhill. There is a huge mound covered in bushes infront of the tee. It completly blocks the view of the green. Hitting at no view of the green never mind the flag is extremely unsettling.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I can't play the 11th at Largs.

Can't ever get the line off the tee. Bizarre dog leg right. Beats me every time.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The tenth at St Enodoc always makes me sigh when I get to it. Strange hole on what, I think, is a very good course.

Every hole at St Mellion would be my other choice 😂

Don’t understand the St Mellion comment. It’s brilliantly designed and extremely fair if you hit the ball in the right place

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've never had a problem with the 7th at Broadstone even this summer when it has been extremely dry and bouncy.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never had a problem with the 7th at Broadstone even this summer when it has been extremely dry and bouncy.

Like I said earlier, it frustrates the hell out of me every time that I play it. Probably because you can play it several different ways, and I just haven't discovered the "correct" way yet.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don’t understand the St Mellion comment. It’s brilliantly designed and extremely fair if you hit the ball in the right place

Yeah. Same here. It's very tough and if you're not on your A game it will chew you up and spit you out... but it is fair IMO and every hole is 'playable'

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 12th at Pinner Hill. Dogleft to the right and up a big slope. You can hit what seems like a perfect tee shot, hugging the trees on the elbow at the right, only to find your ball at the bottom of the slope in the rough off the left of the fairway. The landing area is blind so you can't see what happens, but from where tha ball finishes it almost seems as if it turns back on itself!

I think the only way to play it is probably to slice (not fade, slice) your tee shot into the slope. I tried that once but duffed it so I still don't know whether it would work.
Funny, mine is also from Pinner Hill, but not the 12th! I think the 17th is a bit mad. Certainly unique anyway. A par 3 that must be about 230 yards long, but the entire thing is downhill, and it drops so low that you can't see the green from the tee. You just hit your 190-200 yard (approx) shot and hope to high heaven it rolls onto the green or thereabouts.

Bushey Hall has a couple of stupid holes like the one you mentioned. The 4th for example, when we played that in the height of this summer, the slope is severe enough that all of our shots just rolled off the fairway down the right hand side. And I really don't like the 18th very much. You have to lay up (if you're me) before a ditch down the bottom of a slope, then the green is back up the top of another slope, protected by an enormous bunker across the front, so you pretty much have to hit a belting 9 iron or pitch up in the air and drop it in dead vertical to have any chance of getting close.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
can't remember which hole 16th or 17th at Brechin par 5 dog leg left, all of us in the middle of the fairway at the dogleg, according to the yardage book. only trouble is there is a huge tree in the way for your 2nd shot. middle of the fairway, you can't see it off the tee either.

other is Downfields 16th i think, dog leg right, 200 yard tee shot followed by a wedge right to the green

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Funny, mine is also from Pinner Hill, but not the 12th! I think the 17th is a bit mad. Certainly unique anyway. A par 3 that must be about 230 yards long, but the entire thing is downhill, and it drops so low that you can't see the green from the tee. You just hit your 190-200 yard (approx) shot and hope to high heaven it rolls onto the green or thereabouts.
Well yes, the 17th is a bit daft, but I wouldn't call it bonkers. For sure, it's a long (245yds) downhill blind par 3 and you kind of cast your ball into the unknown. But there's a marker post and if you get the line and length right you'll be on the green.

The problem with the 12th is that no matter how good your tee shot, you end up off the fairway down the bottom of the slope.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
3rd La Cala Asia. Played that course at least a dozen times and still can't work that hole out. Dog-leg right, fairway all cambers severe left to a raised green. There's a tiny flat plateau you can land it on but it can't be bigger than 5 yards square so chances of hitting it are slim to none, if you miss it in any direction it runs off down a massive slope leaving a long uphill approach to a tiny green; oh, and there's OB right, so can't miss right. Then, when you finally get to the green it's a two-tier green with a massive slope, if you miss long onto the top plateau when the pin's at the front it's almost impossible to stop the ball from running all the way off the front of the green. Also, the lower section at the front of the green is very small so the chances of hitting it are pretty small. It's a dumb hole.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
In addition to that one, the old 3rd at Castle Combe (no idea what it is now as they’ve messed the order about) is a par 5 where there’s trouble both sides, a chasm and you run out of fairway if you over Club... never know what to do there

The par 5 4th at Dartmouth similarly idiosyncratic. I’ve birdied it hitting 7, 8 and then 9 iron!

The 4th at Dartmouth is great hole, very tough, but shapes both ways with a stream running down the left.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well yes, the 17th is a bit daft, but I wouldn't call it bonkers. For sure, it's a long (245yds) downhill blind par 3 and you kind of cast your ball into the unknown. But there's a marker post and if you get the line and length right you'll be on the green.

The problem with the 12th is that no matter how good your tee shot, you end up off the fairway down the bottom of the slope.
Pro tip - one of the times I played there, I accidentally put my tee shot in the bunker that's on the top of the corner on that 12th, the slope is so severe that the ball still rolled out of it and down the slope a bit, however, hitting the bunker took enough momentum out of it that it stayed on the fairway and didn't quite make it to the rough. :D One of my mates playing the same hole just tried hitting his driver with a big slice on it to try and reach the green. Never found the ball of course, ha.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The 8th, what was the 17th on my old course Teign Valley, was bonkers.

Also the site of the first ever hole in one on a par-5. The local news ran the comp for what it should be called. A Condor if you ear wondering.

90 degree dog leg par 5. About 250 yards flat at the top. OOB on the rights, trees on the left and OOB further left.

Then the dog leg is steeply down hill about 220. Again trees and OOB left and right.

It used to be stupid as the hill was cut like a fairway, the hole in one, the guy thinned a 3 iron across the top it caught the hill and rolled all the way down. They've now kept the grass a bit longer to stop that and added bunkers in. It's a hole you can eagle (missed an albatross by an inch) or quadruple bogey quite easily of the bounces don't go your way

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I just found St. Mellion a very long hard slog, yes playable. Not one I'll be rushing back to play, even though I'm a much better golfer then back then.

I think St Mellion is an absolutely fantastic course. It is super tough no question, they've held tour events there, and watching the pros play makes you understand the design more.

Some fantastic holes, the layout is just great. But yeah if you're only slightly off your game is can break you quite quickly

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I think St Mellion is an absolutely fantastic course. It is super tough no question, they've held tour events there, and watching the pros play makes you understand the design more.

Some fantastic holes, the layout is just great. But yeah if you're only slightly off your game is can break you quite quickly

I carried around the course in 25+ degrees Celsius, finished got back to our accommodation had a bit to eat and was dead to the world til the next day!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I carried around the course in 25+ degrees Celsius, finished got back to our accommodation had a bit to eat and was dead to the world til the next day!

Oh it's a crazy long course, well over 7,000 from the tips I think, and a lot of walking green to tee.

You know when you're played it. I think they are very keen on people having buggies now, if you're a member you get free buggies all just

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh it's a crazy long course, well over 7,000 from the tips I think, and a lot of walking green to tee.

You know when you're played it. I think they are very keen on people having buggies now, if you're a member you get free buggies all just

But you have to stay on the paths which is a pain in the aris. You still end up walking loads.