Bonkers Golf Holes

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our 16th is a bit of a wierd one.
Only 384 off the whites but it's a severe dogleg right.
The drive is pretty tight as the tree line is only yards away - loads of room left but it takes you well over 200 from the green.
I can run out of room and into the deep rough with a 21° hybrid, the further straight you are the more you are blocked out by a big tree just front and left of the green.
I have driven straight over the tree line with a 7 wood and made the carry but there's a huge tree on the corner that swallows anything near it.
To add to the problem, the fairway slopes right to left so anything faded or sliced around the corner still drifts down to the left side.
I've taken to hitting a driver with a mahoosive slice to get as far down as possible to leave a wedge over the greenside tree.
The danger, of course, is hitting it too straight or over-cooking the slice.
It drives CVG mad as he can't hit a fade.
Not the best hole on the course but you're never really unhappy with a bogey on it.

Umph. Simples par

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Our 11th is a bit bonkers.

It's a 220 yard par 3 off the whites. Up a fairly steep hill, with the green tucked away to the right. If you take a shot straight at the green, you have to come over a very steep bank and pretty much fly it all the way. In reality, you can play it up the middle about 180 or so and you should have a short chip on. The entire front of the green is open and just continues on from the fairway area so a very nice fade could roll onto the green.

I quite like it as in reality, par doesn't matter. Everyone is playing the same hole. I'm sure it plays to an average of much closer to net 4 than net 3.
If it was a par 4, no doubt a lot of people would be quite happy not even thinking about going for the green, but as it's a par 3, it just plays with your mind to just aim that bit further right and try and get it up to the green.

1st time I've played it I knocked a 3 wood short of the green, hit a nice chip to about 8 foot and rolled it in for a 3. Don't think I've done that again since :-(

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The 8th at Chiltern Forest is proper bonkers.
160 yard par 3, massively uphill to a postage stamp banked green.
It’s a crossover hole too.
The ladies tee is halfway up the hill with an almost vertical tee shot

Hate this hole with a passion

Another bonkers one is the 10th at Temple, par 3, 235 yards off the yellows, the green is at the bottom of a huge pit, so invisible from the tee, you have no idea of pin position and there is a bunker in the pit too.

Ridiculous hole

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The 8th at Chiltern Forest is proper bonkers.
160 yard par 3, massively uphill to a postage stamp banked green.
It’s a crossover hole too.
The ladies tee is halfway up the hill with an almost vertical tee shot

Ridiculous hole

Only played this hole twice and managed a 3 and a 4 but I simply don't have a shot in my armoury that goes 160 yards but 45/50 yards high.
Truly bonkers hole - and there others on there too.....

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
16th at North Berwick {west} has to be the most bonkers hole I have played. Mind you their 1st hole has to be a contender as well.

There is also a daft 90 degree dogleg hole at St Neots where you have to play a 6 iron off the tee and a 3 iron to the green

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Time to bring out the usual chestnut of the 10th at Horton Park. The one they describe as "Their answer to Sawgrass". In reality it is their answer to stupidity.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Time to bring out the usual chestnut of the 10th at Horton Park. The one they describe as "Their answer to Sawgrass". In reality it is their answer to stupidity.

Haha used to be a member there - a dumb hole that makes much more sense from the red tees than the whites. From the whites you're looking at a 190 yard shot to a tiny island green surrounded by water. There's a reason the 17th at Sawgrass is a wedge for the pros - and even then it plays tough if the winds gust. Would be carnage playing it from 190 - and that's Tour Pros let alone the weekend hackers playing in the monthly medal. Saw so many people laying up to the bottom and chipping on, happy to walk off with a 4.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha used to be a member there - a dumb hole that makes much more sense from the red tees than the whites. From the whites you're looking at a 190 yard shot to a tiny island green surrounded by water. There's a reason the 17th at Sawgrass is a wedge for the pros - and even then it plays tough if the winds gust. Would be carnage playing it from 190 - and that's Tour Pros let alone the weekend hackers playing in the monthly medal. Saw so many people laying up to the bottom and chipping on, happy to walk off with a 4.
That's exactly what I'd have to do by the sounds of it. I certainly don't have a 190 yard shot that I could stop on a green. :oops:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Check out this bad boy, I played it from the back tee and it was 199 yards!

16th hole

https://www.bridgemillathleticclub.com/flyover/

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a par3 at newtonstewart of about 170 yards severly downhill. There is a huge mound covered in bushes infront of the tee. It completly blocks the view of the green. Hitting at no view of the green never mind the flag is extremely unsettling.

Yea..... the seniors have to rope themselves to each other when the come down that hill.:LOL:

In that neck of the woods Girvan 17th and 18th must win the jackpot for the two bonkerdist holes in a row.
Shame as it spoils a decent wee course.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I once absolutely nailed a 5-iron and hit the green and held it. Was only playing for fun otherwise would never have had a go. It's a joke hole made even worse how they hype it up to be so good. It's a bunch of cowfields with some flags and one utterly ridiculous golf hole.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once absolutely nailed a 5-iron and hit the green and held it. Was only playing for fun otherwise would never have had a go. It's a joke hole made even worse how they hype it up to be so good. It's a bunch of cowfields with some flags and one utterly ridiculous golf hole.

Yeah pretty much. Was a member there for a year 'cause it was 10 mins from our house and cheap. Final straw was when they introduced Foot Golf and started letting them out kicking balls through the bunkers in the middle of weekend competitions. Mental.