Boiler woes.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Current boiler (Worcester greenstar 38 cdi classic) keeps erroring out, EA message.

The heating engineer , who we trust, has been out 3 times and replaced seals a few times.
It happened again last night and he's coming back tonight.
The boiler is around 10 years old now and as we are losing trust with it , should we just get it replaced.

We get hot water for around an hours but no heating.

I sense he's as pissed off as we are as he said it should be a simple fix.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had British Gas cover on my last gas boiler and it was like Trigger's broom, I do not think that there was an original part left on it bar the casing. Still, I paid for the cover and so made full use to keep it running for years. Think it would have been cheaper for British Gas to just give me a new boiler by the end.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time we've had a problem since we moved in, boiler had just been fitted.

Problem now is I've lost trust with it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a similar problem with the same boiler. It turned out to be a faulty condenser. Bosch have a scheme where they will repair your Worcester boiler for a fixed price that includes replacing three components.Might be worth contacting them.

ThinBullet

Visit site
I had issues with my boiler at the start of the winter a few years ago and it was the outside condensing pipe that had frozen inside. Poured boiling water over it, and then bought some insulation for it, and it never came back.

That error code can be to do with a blocked condensing pipe or condenser, so it might be something as daft as that.

Replacing a boiler is not fun. Our utility room was ripped apart for new pipework to fit the new boiler last year, and the out flue pipe was in a different place too, so a new hole had to be cored out. My mother in law is getting a new boiler fitted this week, and was quoted £1200 for it.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
The last time we changed the boiler we made up our minds to change it before the next winter so as not to have the inconvenience of being without heating or hot water over a prolonged period of time when its freezing cold and the boiler has had a breakdown and our plumber has no time to fit the job in, so, we arranged a replacement to be fit in the summer when we would have least disruption.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had issues with my boiler at the start of the winter a few years ago and it was the outside condensing pipe that had frozen inside. Poured boiling water over it, and then bought some insulation for it, and it never came back.

That error code can be to do with a blocked condensing pipe or condenser, so it might be something as daft as that.

Replacing a boiler is not fun. Our utility room was ripped apart for new pipework to fit the new boiler last year, and the out flue pipe was in a different place too, so a new hole had to be cored out. My mother in law is getting a new boiler fitted this week, and was quoted £1200 for it.
That's cheap.