Big Ben

Robin Hood

Visit site
Cost of repairs now rising another third to £80 million.

Knock the blooming thing down instead. A disgraceful waste of taxpayers money.
Or sell it to the Americans ??

I haven't read the report but how can they get it so wrong. If it was privately owned there is no way that it could happen. Public sector money is so wasted it's almost criminal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is an iconic building for the nation so does need to be looked after. I'm sure I could have done the repairs for £75m though, still making a tidy profit :D.

How can it really cost that much? It is scary how these figures are thrown around.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cost of repairs now rising another third to £80 million.

Knock the blooming thing down instead. A disgraceful waste of taxpayers money.
i'd imagine if it were a dilapidated victorian public building anywhere else in the UK that sort of money wouldn't be being spend to referb it.... Buck palace too for that matter

Last edited:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i'd imagine if it were a dilapidated victorian public building anywhere else in the UK that sort of money wouldn't be being spend to referb it.... Buck palace too for that matter

On the other side, I'd imagine Big Ben and Buckingham palace somewhat contribute to bringing in a few more tourist pounds than other random dilapidated buildings.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
On the other side, I'd imagine Big Ben and Buckingham palace somewhat contribute to bringing in a few more tourist pounds than other random dilapidated buildings.

Correct they bring money to London which stays in London. A clock given an £80 makeover, where else in Britain would that happen??? Absolutely nowhere.

Tax payers money wasted.

Wolf

Visit site
Correct they bring money to London which stays in London. A clock given an £80 makeover, where else in Britain would that happen??? Absolutely nowhere.

Tax payers money wasted.
Interesting how you skirt other issues raised though Jacko someone here mentioned the waste of money on Scottish parliamentary building going way over budget, that's nothing to do with London so is that excess ok? Or HS2 does that not deem worthy of acknowledgement because they're not specifically in London

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
maybe if the NHS didn't waste so much money on multi levels of management and hadn't been lumbered with PFI contracts then they'd had more money to spend on treating people
I'd have to agree with this. It's not so much the funding but how it's spent. As a supplier into the NHS I've seen the amount of money the various contractors and PFI sucks out from treatment and into their shareholders profits.

For the Elizabeth Tower (what it's actually called) then I agree that we seem to let people keep ramping up the costs. Part of this is that when the tender for work is specified, it's not specified correctly and so whilst the supplier bids for what is in the tender, if the parameters change then they are contractually allowed to increase the charge as there is extra work outside the scope of the original tender.
I see it all the time. We have now learnt from experience to make it absolutely clear to our customers that we are bidding on the tender as presented to us. If they want to change the parameters post that, there is a cost involved.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd have to agree with this. It's not so much the funding but how it's spent. As a supplier into the NHS I've seen the amount of money the various contractors and PFI sucks out from treatment and into their shareholders profits.

For the Elizabeth Tower (what it's actually called) then I agree that we seem to let people keep ramping up the costs. Part of this is that when the tender for work is specified, it's not specified correctly and so whilst the supplier bids for what is in the tender, if the parameters change then they are contractually allowed to increase the charge as there is extra work outside the scope of the original tender.
I see it all the time. We have now learnt from experience to make it absolutely clear to our customers that we are bidding on the tender as presented to us. If they want to change the parameters post that, there is a cost involved.

my old company used to insure some of the PFI contracts and the numbers involved were truly eye watering