Big Ben

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally disagree, a very important building that should be preserved for the nation.
£400 000 000 on the Scottish parliament building that was meant to cost about 10% of that was a waste of money.
Not convinced about HS2 either.
The reasons for the increased cost are outlined here. Lessons to be Learnt for HS2? Some increases are due to a change in site from that assumed for initial estimates; and some are related to probably unforeseeable changes to design that were required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_Building

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Correct they bring money to London which stays in London. A clock given an £80 makeover, where else in Britain would that happen??? Absolutely nowhere.

Tax payers money wasted.
Would tourists stop coming to London if the Elizabeth Tower fell down and wasn't rebuilt, or if the London residence of the Monarch was converted into a hotel?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting how you skirt other issues raised though Jacko someone here mentioned the waste of money on Scottish parliamentary building going way over budget, that's nothing to do with London so is that excess ok? Or HS2 does that not deem worthy of acknowledgement because they're not specifically in London

Well you see the thread was about the astronomical price of refurbishing a mere click nothing to do with Scotland having the right to have its own parliamentary building. There is an SNP bashing thread already on the go.

In relation to HS2, the Scottish economy is funding millions towards that however I believe we actually get a miniscule benefit back through the outdated barnett formula. Again the thread has nothing to do with HS2, just another politicians deflection tactic.

So back on track. A complete waste of tax payers money. £80 million on a clock.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting how you skirt other issues raised though Jacko someone here mentioned the waste of money on Scottish parliamentary building going way over budget, that's nothing to do with London so is that excess ok? Or HS2. Ir do that not deem worthy of acknowledgement because they're not specifically in London

no one is happy about that either TBH, thats costing the Scottish taxpayer plenty, but they needed a building

Wolf

Visit site
Well you see the thread was about the astronomical price of refurbishing a mere click nothing to do with Scotland having the right to have its own parliamentary building. There is an SNP bashing thread already on the go.

In relation to HS2, the Scottish economy is funding millions towards that however I believe we actually get a miniscule benefit back through the outdated barnett formula. Again the thread has nothing to do with HS2, just another politicians deflection tactic.

So back on track. A complete waste of tax payers money. £80 million on a clock.
Sorry Jacko but you're clearly having one of your im right nobody can expand on a conversation threads. Its your way or no way, toys out the pram talk about my subject only and if you have a different opinion I'll tell you to go elsewhere. Nobody has bashed Scotlands right its own parliamentary building, it was brought up because of the ridiculous rise in additional costs, nothing to do with bashing SNP. Put your dummy back in not everything people say about Scotland is bashing them. Its a mere direct comparison on a building cost outside of London.

The clock tower is worthy of restoration, if you don't want people comparing costs maybe you shouldn't have started the thread. ??‍♂️

Wolf

Visit site
no one is happy about that either TBH, thats costing the Scottish taxpayer plenty, but they needed a building
I agree it needed building but the costs became ridiculous. As for HS2 there is far less need for that to allow a 20min quicker commute when so many other areas need better transport links in order to reduce car usage

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Correct they bring money to London which stays in London. A clock given an £80 makeover, where else in Britain would that happen??? Absolutely nowhere.

Tax payers money wasted.

Why is it a waste?

Should we ignore the fact that London makes up about 15% of the whole UK population when making spending decisions?
Should Glasgow get the same funding as London despite being 1/10th the size in population terms?

Is it an issue that London and the SE tax take is more than is spent on their populations, so is shared with the rest of the UK or is that part of the equation ok, and only the spending in those regions is the problem?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree it needed building but the costs became ridiculous. As for HS2 there is fsr less need for that ti allow a 20min quicker commute when so many other areas need better transport links in order to reduce car usage
HS2 is a direct benifit to London, so that why its being built.. now a high speed link between London, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow or Edin fair enought

Wolf

Visit site
HS2 is a direct benifit to London, so that why its being built.. now a high speed link between London, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow or Edin fair enought
I know why its being built, but there is no need to build something that does nothing but reduce commutes by 20mins.
Your idea that would link huge parts is a much better one and benefit far more people

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would tourists stop coming to London if the Elizabeth Tower fell down and wasn't rebuilt, or if the London residence of the Monarch was converted into a hotel?

Will the frog notice if we increase the water in the pot by just one degree?

Take any of these buildings on their own no, but as a whole, if we carry through this policy to all historic monuments then yes.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the issue people are missing with this project and so many others that are publicly funded is how disastrously wrong the initial figure is, how do they derive their figures and also nobody ever seems accountable.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry Jacko but you're clearly having one of your im right nobody can expand on a conversation threads. Its your way or no way, toys out the pram talk about my subject only and if you have a different opinion I'll tell you to go elsewhere. Nobody has bashed Scotlands right its own parliamentary building, it was brought up because of the ridiculous rise in additional costs, nothing to do with bashing SNP. Put your dummy back in not everything people say about Scotland is bashing them. Its a mere direct comparison on a building cost outside of London.

The clock tower is worthy of restoration, if you don't want people comparing costs maybe you shouldn't have started the thread. ??‍♂️

Wrong again. It's a compete waste of money £80 million on a useless clock.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got my popcorn for how long this thread lasts - at least I can look at Big Ben to see the exact time.
Not at the minute you can't :D.

The question can be asked of all monuments around the country. Should they be preserved, how much should we spend preserving them? Some are part of our heritage and identity and I would argue this is such a one.