Big Ben

D

Deleted member 23270

Agree it is a ridiculous amount of money and I'm sure Bob the builder could do it for £50 but I am detecting a few 'non London' chips on shoulders here.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And there is the post that actually proves my point to be right Jacko..

You don't like differing opinion or comparison you'll just keep repeating yourself telling others they're wrong. Quite sad really ??‍♂️

???

£80 million of taxpayers money on a clock is not value. It's actually disgusting for a bit of masonry and a big bell.

4LEX

Visit site
Correct they bring money to London which stays in London. A clock given an £80 makeover, where else in Britain would that happen??? Absolutely nowhere.

Tax payers money wasted.

London is the capital of the UK and one of the most important cities on the planet. A multicultural hub of history, tourism, economics, science and the arts. Big Ben is one of the most famous sights in London and clearly deserves this money.

If you think London shouldn't get special attention then you're the one that needs your head checking :rolleyes:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Why not replace all the antiquated working parts with a modern digital clock while retaining the original external appearance?
The audio aspects could easily be electronically simulated.

If the tower itself is structurally unsound, I'd think twice about not fixing it.

A great cathedral burned down in Paris. As a secular person, I still think that was a terrible thing.

When you stop restoring your cultural landmarks, you get closer and closer to becoming American.

You don't want that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why not replace all the antiquated working parts with a modern digital clock while retaining the original external appearance?

If the tower itself is structurally unsound, I'd think twice about not fixing it.

A great cathedral burned down in Paris. As a secular person, I still think that was a terrible thing.

When you stop restoring your cultural landmarks, you get closer and closer to becoming American.

You don't want that.
a big difference between a 1000 year old Cathedral and a victorian clock tower

4LEX

Visit site

I did double check it wasn't April 1st when I read this!

Why don't we get Apple to pay for it and rename it Big Ben's Apple and have a four sided Apple Watch on the top?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is an iconic building for the nation so does need to be looked after. I'm sure I could have done the repairs for £75m though, still making a tidy profit :D.

How can it really cost that much? It is scary how these figures are thrown around.

It's all down to the cost of maintaining all the levels of pen pushing box ticking desk jockeys reputedly required to manage a relative handful of folk at the 'coal face'...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably... What's the point of Paris without the Eifel Tower or Sydney minus the Opera House/Harbour Bridge?
hasn't it been covered over for the last few years so no one could see it anyway, yet tourists still flocked. you could have reolaced it with a giant inflatable and a doubt they would have noticed:LOL:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
London is the capital of the UK and one of the most important cities on the planet. A multicultural hub of history, tourism, economics, science and the arts. Big Ben is one of the most famous sights in London and clearly deserves this money.

If you think London shouldn't get special attention then you're the one that needs your head checking :rolleyes:

London may be your capital it's certainly not my capital.

4LEX

Visit site
London may be your capital it's certainly not my capital.

I didn't say it was mine either, did I? That's irrelevent. I simply stated a fact. As the capital of the UK it deserves extra investment. In fact in terms of what London brings in from business, tourism and taxes it's a drop in the ocean.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I didn't say it was mine either, did I? That's irrelevent. I simply stated a fact. As the capital of the UK it deserves extra investment. In fact in terms of what London brings in from business, tourism and taxes it's a drop in the ocean.

The UK is not a country and does not have a singular capital.