Best investment.........

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

I know most of us have spent too much on golf equipment over the years but I was wondering which item you would say is the best peice of equipment you've ever bought?

Mine would be my rescue wood.

It's good from the tee, fairway, rough(of course) even fairway bunkers. It's just so versatile.

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a 56 degree custom built Auchterlone wedge...its not so much bought as inherited from my dad. its weight, bounce...everything = magic wand! i could get round without.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd have to say my Cleveland HiBore XLS 3 wood.

When the driver isn't behaving it is a great club to use from the tee. Cracking off the deck,too.

B

birdieman

Nike Ignite 9.5 deg stiff driver (the legal one). I don't have it anyomore but there was a period about 3 years ago when I could nail this driver for miles. All other drivers before and since have never come close to the length or consistency I had with that. Guess by luck it was just the perfect fit for me. The subsequent SQ/Sumo ranges just didn't do it for me. :p

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have to say that my best buy is the kit listed below.

It cost a fortune and I could not afford to do it now but the whole process made me feel fantastic. I do love it all and it still makes me feel good to just look at it.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitly my lessons without a shadow of a doubt!

But equipment wise, i cant decide between my driver or putter.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My Odyssey Dual Force 220 putter. Actually it didnt cost me a Euro because it was a demo club which my pro donated me.

I also like my rescue wood - a birthday present from my wife and not to forget

Golf Monthly subscription :D

B

birdieman

My lessons. Probably about a grand's worth over the last 3 years. They'll outlast any club in the bag!

John this one has me mildly intrigued. Can I ask what your handicap was 3 years ago before this quite expensive course of lessons?
If you have jumped from 16 or 18 down to 9 in three years then I'd be the first to say money well spent. However if you have only improved say from 11 to 9 over the three years then I'd be wondering what worth the lessons really have?
Not being cheeky, just interested as the Pro I saw recently is all for turning me into the next Allen Doyle (old boy come good!) via regular lessons - I'm a wee bit sceptical if he can! :eek:
Ta

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
My Vokey SM 56.10... this thing is the best club in my bag. Use anywhere from 110 in and so much control.

My Superquad is also up there, but the Vokeys save me the shots.

Prubs

Club Champion
Visit site
Got to be my driver, have been struggling with a uncontrolled fade for years(slice to anyone else)however since I got my driver not even a fade...if you need a reliable driver to keep you on the short stuff, then this has to be it :cool: :cool: :cool:!!!!!!!!!!!!(for me anyways)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
However if you have only improved say from 11 to 9 over the three years then I'd be wondering what worth the lessons really have?

You know what, Stu, I think I WAS off 11 three years ago! It may have been 13, though. Can't remember exactly. The point is that I feel a lot better than that now. I've not played in a medal since October but I'm comfortably averaging 79 since then, even with the Jubilee experience.

You've played with me, so can judge for yourself although that was my worst score of the year, so I'm firmly laying the blame at your doorstep! :D

I must confess to being a slow learner when it comes to golf. Not a natural, at all. So when I took the game up again I would regularly take 3 or 4 one hour video lessons in a month...ranging from long game to chips. That's not cheap. Now it's more like one half hour lesson every two months.

My point is that there's no comparison between the scores I can achieve now compared to back then. Before the lessons my best EVER score had been a 74, .....when I was 21. I've matched or beaten that at least a dozen times since the lessons. Would I have done that without them? Would I have done that simply by investing in shiny new clubs? In my view....no chance.

The lessons certainly aren't a quick fix for me. It's a slow (sometimes painfully) natural progression. I told my pro that I wanted to spend 5 years building a swing that would help me enjoy my golf into my dotage. I think that that's the case now, although there's much room for improvement, still.

You have the problem that you play off 5 now. Some friends of mine have been off 5 since they were 13 years old and have never got below 3. There lies the problem. It gets harder and harder the better you get. In short, I would say that you wouldn't benefit from a course of lessons as much as I have because it was always gonna be easier to improve for me.